NME VTX foam and sound when hit

ArdeFIN

I bought a new NME VTX so that for once I have "the best I can get" mask protecting me.

The fit is perfect and while it is just a bit tight over my cheek bones that is all I can complain about the fit.

The foam is interesting, there are Poron XRD blocks on both sides and some other softer foam around them on cheek and down to jaw. But the fore head and top is really hard foam. So that you barely can squeeze it down a few millimeters. Sure I have sweat band over my forehead which softens a lot.

Not really related is my question about Bauer masks in general actually. It is the noise when I get a hit to the mask. Whether it is a puck or stick blade there is an annoying metallic rattle that makes my ears ring a bit. I'm sensitive to get my ears ringing but I haven't had it this bad with my REY mask. I had NME 5 when I started goalie and that was not a good mask (yeah, right 😆) but even that one didn't make similar sound as this VTX does. I've checked the cage, mask and screws and everything is in perfect condition. Rubber tubing is on place on the cage edges and what ever.

Has anyone noticed anything similar or am I just too sensitive to the noise and need to get more used to it. Maybe my REY just was quieter and that said it is with double layer of maltese and 4/5mm stainless cheater cage. VTX is with certified cage just to mention.

I haven't gotten any hard shots yet and no problem with the feeling of getting hit, it hasn't hurt my head any more than before. But the rattling sound when hit is terrible.

So it's not my VTX nor me atleast, but more so to the Bauer. What I could imagine to be the reason is how the foams are attached using screws and posts and not glued in like all(?) others do.

Soft foam glued in could soften the vibrations of shell a lot better, so maybe I just try and add some soft foam or rubber pads to try this theory.

Atleast it doesn't really cost anything to try it out.

The last option would be to put some earplugs in for an hour of ice. Just had to find the smallest samples as I don't really like those plugs but any other hearing protection with mask is a bit problematic. 🤔

In some cases, the ringing can be from cracks or bad lamination of the layers,  you should see if you can warranty it at least.

I have a VTX and I do not get ringing when taking a puck off the front cage/chin/front of the helmet. I play in the higher divisions and if it is a direct hit it usually will blow the chinstrap off or a buckle but not deafen me.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johncho said:

I wonder if strips of car sound dampening material could somehow help? I have no clue how feasible it would be, but I remember a cymbal demonstration where there was a strip of this stuff and it totally dampened the cymbal when you hit it.

That was my first thought and that might do the trick, but then thinking that the sound is metallic it would come from cage more than the mask itself and then the dampening wouldn't do much. Also those add considerable amount of weight and last issue is adding 2mm material between the padding and mask.

But under consideration still.

15 minutes ago, turbototts said:

In some cases, the ringing can be from cracks or bad lamination of the layers,  you should see if you can warranty it at least.

I have a VTX and I do not get ringing when taking a puck off the front cage/chin/front of the helmet. I play in the higher divisions and if it is a direct hit it usually will blow the chinstrap off or a buckle but not deafen me.  

I've checked everything throughly but I still might've missed something like bad welding on a cage. Might be able to ask for warranty but then again I love this mask except the sound so I'll try and find a way to save this. But if it was material problem then warranty is the way. No reason to use a 800€ mask with material flaw that might lead to injury in worst case.

I only play low level hockey and no official games at all and (luckily) do get only very few head shots so I'll take my time and maybe a few more hits to head before I make a  decicion of how it will be. And I have the REY still so I can go back anytime and try to get rid of the Bauer.

Thanks for the feedback so far, seems that it's not unheard to get some ringing effect from Bauer.

I don't have ringing per se when I get hit with either of my Bauer masks (NME 8 or 960) but I do notice that the sound is higher pitched than my old ProMasque.   Not exactly a "ping", but there's something a little louder and higher frequency than the dull thump sound I'm used to when a puck deflected off the shell of the PM.  Fortunately I haven't caught a real sizzler right in the cage with either Bauer mask yet, so can't really comment on that aspect of it.  

19 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I don't have ringing per se when I get hit with either of my Bauer masks (NME 8 or 960) but I do notice that the sound is higher pitched than my old ProMasque.   Not exactly a "ping", but there's something a little louder and higher frequency than the dull thump sound I'm used to when a puck deflected off the shell of the PM.  Fortunately I haven't caught a real sizzler right in the cage with either Bauer mask yet, so can't really comment on that aspect of it.  

This might be exactly what I'm upon too.

Despite @coopaloop1234 offer I'll propably have to manage this myself in some way. As said luckily I don't get headshots in every icetime and hopefully it continues that way even with me having top notch gear for protection.

I put 3m vibration damping tape in my Itech/Bauer 961SE onto the higher impact areas of the shell like the chin and forehead to decrease vibration. I also put some on the sides of the shell where the fiberglass is thinner and more likely to vibrate from impact. 

I think it works pretty well. I don't recall much of any ringing or "metallic" rattling over the past 3 years with it. This will add weight to the mask so if you are particularly sensitive to stuff like that, I would try to add as little as possible to achieve the desired effect. 

19 hours ago, bildeer said:

I think the one I have is from a different manufacturer. I got 5 yards from the Zoro website for about $16 USD back in 2019. Not sure how much it costs these days. Got mixed up with the 3m dual lock fastener that I use to secure foam in the mask. @Puckstopper

I've got to give my wife a lot of credit.   Usually if I want to drop $50 or $100 modifying some bit of gear to be safer/more effective she doesn't bat an eye.    She came in as I was grabbing that screenshot and asked what I was looking at.   I explained, fully expecting to get told to get bent.    Without batting an eye she looked at me and said "you are getting old, maybe it's time to hang 'em up"!  😆   

• Haha 1