Beer League Playoffs

Mroy31

How do your beer leagues do playoffs? 

I've been playing in a league for the last 10 years or so where the playoff format is a 2 game series, 3 points wins.  So a win = 2 points, tie = 1 point.  Actual goals scored/game score doesn't matter outside of that one particular game.

• Win both games, you move on
  • Win first game, tie second, you move on
  • Win first game and lose second game, 5 minutes of 4 on 4 sudden death overtime
  • Overtime solves nothing?  5 player shootout

I actually really like this for a beer league.  It gives the feeling of a series, but is compact enough to do in a once a week league and you don't play the other team sooooo many times that you're ripping each others heads off by the end of it.

It does have a few nuances that can sometimes suck though, depending on which side of the coin you are on.  You can lose the first game 10-0, then win the second game 1-0, then win in overtime/shootout and it kind of makes the first game meaningless if you can generate enough momentum in game 2.  That sucks for the first game's winner, but you can argue you should close it out in game 2 if you're that much better.  One season in the semi finals, we won the first game 5-1, then lost the second game 1-0, went to a shootout where we lost in the 7th round on the only goal scored by either team.  So that's frustrating as a goalie :P

The other detail that changes depending on the division size is the bracket.  Typically it's a normal 1 vs 8 etc.  But if there are 10 teams, then the first 2 weeks of playoffs will be a play-in between the bottom 4 to make the top 8.  Or this year (which sucked because of how they split the divisions), we have 6 teams, so the bottom 4 played the play-in, while the top 2 just beat up on each other for 2 weeks getting real riled up before they play whichever 2 teams make it through.

Last night was our second game of the opening series (finished 5th of 6).  We had won the first game 8-7 in a good ol' fashioned 80's just-let-in-one-less-than-the-other-guy games.  In the second game we were down 3-0 with about 7 minutes left in the 3rd.  Got a couple quick goals, then we tied it up in the last minute as I went to the bench.  That was all we needed but added an empty netter for good measure.

Curious to hear what other beer leagues are like

It differs from league to league.

One league that I don't play in anymore has a round robin type of first round. Unless you were a top team and got a bye, you play two games and they determine who goes on from: Wins, Goals Scored, Goals against, penalty minutes. Then after that it's one game series till you're knocked out or win. Really anti-climactic. It's a pain since I've seen the round robin where everyone wins one and loses one, but we get knocked out since we scored one less goal than the other teams.

The league I actually play in is far better. Best of 3 series. Need to win two full games to move on, 5 minute overtime followed by endless shootout. No ties. Really gives a playoff vibe, especially in game 3 where you absolutely loathe the other team and it comes down to the wire.

So winning the finals can get you anywhere from 6-12 additional games and they're always played in rapid succession. Last championship had us play 7 games within a 3 week period.

It was excellent.

36 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So winning the finals can get you anywhere from 6-12 additional games and they're always played in rapid succession. Last championship had us play 7 games within a 3 week period.

That's the other thing about this league, all the losers go into a generic round-robin pool to play out while the other teams finish up.  So you don't get any more icetime for winning, but apparently the championship team gets a small percentage of their teem fee back.  I wouldn't know, I haven't won here yet...

Then there is maybe a 1-2 week break between Summer and Winter seasons, depending on if Stat holidays made us take weeks off the season before.

Attached my playoff bracket. We are GBU, the first place team (yep, bragging a little). If you win every game, you play a total of 4 games in the playoffs. If you lose one game, and win every other game then you play 6. Lose 2 games and your out. It's simple. Now in my other division we only have 6 teams so 1st and 2nd play a "bye" game. All 3 divisions do their playoffs over a 3 week period.

I like our format for the most part. The only thing I hate is the mini game at the end. Basically works like this: If you have NOT lost a game up to the championship game, but then you lose the championship game, you play a "2nd" game. 5 minutes and if tied, 5 minute sudden death, if still tied then shootout. Last season we played a team that had a player suspended for the championship but was allowed to come back for the mini game as it was technically a 2nd game. So the leagues leading scorer gets to come in fresh. That really pissed me off.

D3_4.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, IPv6Freely said:

4 teams. 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. Winner game 1 plays winner game 2. Winner gets a t-shirt. Next season starts the following weekend. 

Pretty much this for my league too haha.  

We're in the works of growing the league at this time.  We have the main league here on Long Island and just expanded to another league upstate a little bit.  There is going to be an annual tournament that all of the champions of each division of each season of each league will play each other for the "Champions Cup".  So basically all the winners of D1 will play each other, D2 will play each other, D3 will play each other, etc.  The league is still only a year and a half old and still growing.  Its pretty bottom heavy right now which makes our games in Division 1 kinda repetitive playing the same teams over and over.  Hopefully that changes.

1 league I play in has a double elimination playoff up until the finals which is a best of 3. Top 8 teams in the league make it, reseeding happens after each round.

The other league I play in has a double elimination playoff tournament over a Friday evening and Saturday all day, except the final is final whether the loser made it there without having lost a game prior. It basically looks like @loki1416's bracket above, except for it being 5 teams and the 1st seed from the regular season has a bye to the quarter final. Being over 2 days, it's a pretty tough slog to the finals if you lose a game. We won our first game last Friday night, played at about 1 on Saturday losing that game, then had to win to make it to the final and then the final started about 20 minutes later. All in all, we played 4 games over a 24 hour period. It's not the ideal playoff format (but we still won).

One league I play in has an odd system that, in a worst case scenario, can produce some weird outcomes. 

So it starts as a simple 2 game series, team with the best record moves on. A tie in either of these 2 games will result in a 5 minute 4v4 OT, followed by a shootout to decide the winner for that game. 

But! If the series is tied after 2 games, a mini 10 minute "3rd game" will be played immediately after. It's not sudden death OT, it's treated like a normal game, with the winner after 10 minutes winning the series. If that 3rd game is still tied after 10, we move to the same 5 minute OT followed by a shootout. 

So we've had situations where a team needs to win game 2 to even the series, in 1 night you can play: A full 3 period game, followed by an OT and then a shootout. Then another 10 minute "miny game" followed by yet another OT and a shootout. 

I've actually had this scenario happen to us twice, and we actually won both series (in 1, the final deciding shootout was a 12 rounder too)

In my division the top four teams of six make the playoffs.  It's double elimination, so 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3.  Winner gets a trophy and all the players get hats or something and the top two finishers get invited to a tournament in Toronto.    One of the divisions a few down from us, the top 6 teams make the playoffs (more teams) and that can go on for a while.  In our division, someone is out after two games, someone else should be out after three, and then there would be one or two more games.  

Archived