True 580

Sup_ya_sieve

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying a 580. Currently in warrior g6 and have had warrior gloves past few years. 

I’ve been thinking about ordering a 580 (based on this forum i may get it in 2025) but it is scary to drop the capital without ever trying it.

can anyone share their experience when making the change good or bad? Should i just make the jump?

On 5/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, bildeer said:

The 580 and 590 offer different feels and pocket orientation with respect to hand position. Notice how the 580 gives more vertical coverage than the 590, and despite appearing to be an old spec glove from before the sizing regulations that we use today, this is still true with the current spec of 580's. Because of this, the motion that is used to close the glove resembles a "thumbs up" with your fingers flat on your palm.  I have been using this style of glove for almost 6 years now and found early on that it trivializes shots that are directed just over the leg pad (i.e. low glove one timers). 

The 590, on the other hand (get it?) offers more lateral coverage with respect to the orientation of the pocket. In theory, you could achieve more vertical coverage with the glove by utilizing the "fingers up" orientation of holding your glove. There is a potential issue of covering space in places where pucks won't go anywhere near the net (like above the crossbar). This is what I used when I was using my Vaughn T7600 back in my early days. 

I think glove position determines which style glove you use, but at the end of the day, they are two different ways to achieve the same task: catching the puck.

I made this post a couple of years ago regarding a similar query. Back in 2015 I made the switch from a Vaughn velocity 4 7600 to a reebok xlt 580, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much the same thing as the True 580 you are referring to and the Reebok premier 3 that was introduced all those years ago. 

While I do not have any experience with Warrior gloves, I can tell you that the hand position and how you close the glove will be different. If you see my above quote, you should be able to model the hand motions used to open and close the 580/90 degree break glove and see if it is something you are comfortable with. You also may want to take note of how you are holding your glove because the glove break can change how you hold it due to where the pocket is located with respect to the base of the glove palm.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 12:34 AM, Sup_ya_sieve said:

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying a 580. Currently in warrior g6 and have had warrior gloves past few years. 

I’ve been thinking about ordering a 580 (based on this forum i may get it in 2025) but it is scary to drop the capital without ever trying it.

can anyone share their experience when making the change good or bad? Should i just make the jump?

On 7/22/2023 at 9:14 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Late reply to this... but I just picked up a True 20.2 580 (Mackenzie Blackwood ProStock) so I'll be able to compare it to 580s of old and my current Axis. FWIW... I picked it up because the Axis closure still isn't there. I think there are a number of reasons why... increase in palm material... volume of lacing (especially at the base of the T)... location of the base of the T as well. I also just wanted a single T again... the feel of the puck in a double tee is just lost for me... something about that snap when a puck hits a single T just feels better IMO.

That said... I don't even consider anything that isn't a 90 degree break. I've tried others... but always come back in a big way. It's just a comfort factor in not only the break in my had... but pocket location. It's just been too long for me in a 580 that not having one will always feel a little off no matter how many reps I get in with something else. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:34 PM, Sup_ya_sieve said:

Big thing to consider here is the backhand and wrist straps.  If you're married to the Warrior style with the extra freedom you may not like the Lefevre design

I have been in a 590 break since 2004 and wanted to give a 580 a try last year and won't look back. It does take some adjustment though. I will only use a 580 style from now on. For what its worth, the newly publicly released vapor 90 is almost identical to a lefevre 580 minus some things, but the feel is spot on. Hopefully by the end of next month I'll be able to post a true, ccm, and Bauer 580 side my side and their closures. 

Edited by Madmedic6
Added info.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Madmedic6 said:

I have been in a 590 break since 2004 and wanted to give a 580 a try last year and won't look back. It does take some adjustment though. I will only use a 580 style from now on. For what its worth, the newly publicly released vapor 580 is almost identical to a lefevre 580 minus some things, but the feel is spot on. 

Not sure if that's a compliment to Bauer's Vapor 580... or if Lefevre's 580 has changed... I'll find out today... L20.2 is out for delivery. 

Of course I'm joking some... but the feel of Koho/CCM Lefevre gloves were just incredible. My Axis 580 while having the same break angle also has some updates to it that changed the feel for me. Compared to my short lived stint in a Bauer 2X Pro... break angle aside... Bauer gloves just felt SOOO much different. Not bad... just very different. So to hear that they're comparable is interesting to me.

1 hour ago, Madmedic6 said:

I have been in a 590 break since 2004 and wanted to give a 580 a try last year and won't look back. It does take some adjustment though. I will only use a 580 style from now on. For what its worth, the newly publicly released vapor 90 is almost identical to a lefevre 580 minus some things, but the feel is spot on. Hopefully by the end of next month I'll be able to post a true, ccm, and Bauer 580 side my side and their closures. 

You should grab a Warrior G6.1, Vaughn 70Xp, and the rumoured Brian's 90 degree glove and do a full comprehensive review. 

Take one for the team. 😮  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Not sure if that's a compliment to Bauer's Vapor 580... or if Lefevre's 580 has changed... I'll find out today... L20.2 is out for delivery. 

Of course I'm joking some... but the feel of Koho/CCM Lefevre gloves were just incredible. My Axis 580 while having the same break angle also has some updates to it that changed the feel for me. Compared to my short lived stint in a Bauer 2X Pro... break angle aside... Bauer gloves just felt SOOO much different. Not bad... just very different. So to hear that they're comparable is interesting to me.

I will agree that Bauer gloves feel different. I will also say retail/custom ccm 580 will feel different than each other depending on which assembly line they came out of. My only gripe with Bauer gloves is they are tight along the back of my fingers when closed. 

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You should grab a Warrior G6.1, Vaughn 70Xp, and the rumoured Brian's 90 degree glove and do a full comprehensive review. 

Take one for the team. 😮  

I have heard the rumors of a 90* Brian's, and they have done them in the past. I'll try to track down a 70xp. I have access to a 6.1 e+. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 8:43 AM, Madmedic6 said:

I have heard the rumors of a 90* Brian's, and they have done them in the past. I'll try to track down a 70xp. I have access to a 6.1 e+. 

What is your source for the Brian's 90* rumor? I've been a Brian's guy for 30+ years and I just tried out a True L20.1 580 glove today and was blown away with it. Would love it if Brian's had a glove with same break/attributes. I'm hoping the rumor is true (haha)....would order a brand new set as soon as available.

13 minutes ago, BigPoppaPump said:

What is your source for the Brian's 90* rumor? I've been a Brian's guy for 30+ years and I just tried out a True L20.1 580 glove today and was blown away with it. Would love it if Brian's had a glove with same break/attributes. I'm hoping the rumor is true (haha)....would order a brand new set as soon as available.

I think a couple members here have spoken to Brian's reps and the reps hinted or outright said there's something similar to a 90 degree coming. Some members on the board have seen the customizer and it does look like a 580-style break.

7 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I think a couple members here have spoken to Brian's reps and the reps hinted or outright said there's something similar to a 90 degree coming. Some members on the board have seen the customizer and it does look like a 580-style break.

Tgn had them make him a 90 optik2. 

Here's what the Brian's rep said about a 90 degree break glove: "We currently are not offering a break of this nature. However there is a sample being shown to our dealers which will ideally be available for our 2024 sales year." 

Key word there is ideally. He also said it would not launch with the Iconik line, so no early Christmas for me. 😭 It's hopeful, and probably inevitable, but it still might take a while. 

14 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

Tgn had them make him a 90 optik2. 

That is very cool. Obviously Tgn has some stroke with Brian's...I'll have to forum search to see if any info on likes/dislikes if anything posted...

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Here's what the Brian's rep said about a 90 degree break glove: "We currently are not offering a break of this nature. However there is a sample being shown to our dealers which will ideally be available for our 2024 sales year." 

Key word there is ideally. He also said it would not launch with the Iconik line, so no early Christmas for me. 😭 It's hopeful, and probably inevitable, but it still might take a while. 

This is fantastic news also - even though only speculation still at this point, but with the rising popularity of this break style, I'd love to see Brian's gain more market share. Maybe the start of another resurgence at the NHL level someday?

13 minutes ago, BigPoppaPump said:

That is very cool. Obviously Tgn has some stroke with Brian's...I'll have to forum search to see if any info on likes/dislikes if anything posted...

IIRC it wasn't a proper 90 degree glove. It was 90 degree in the same sense a Warrior palm is 90 degrees. The finger stalls were moved to alter the break

7 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

6 hours ago, BigPoppaPump said:

This is fantastic news also - even though only speculation still at this point, but with the rising popularity of this break style, I'd love to see Brian's gain more market share. Maybe the start of another resurgence at the NHL level someday?

I'm very interested to see how this Brian's oven mitt closes. Maybe they're doing a 70deg here, if it's not the 90deg?

image.png.a02ccdd2a25f9a3552b60cb376f35893.png

Edited by keeperton