Pad cleaning

Hockey34

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I've always used magic erasers. Usually with water but lectric shave is preferred. I've been trying to find something cheaper for awhile now and haven't had much luck

Melamine sponge is the brand-agnostic product name.  48 sponges for $12 on Amazon.

A comparable Mr Clean Magic Eraser product is $6 for 6 sponges

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidersgoalie said:

I use the magic eraser. And for tougher deep marks I use a white eraser with some sort of cleaner.   Think I used dish soap.  It Dosent totally get the deep marks out but it get 90% of the mark out.  I have hypers with Mach skin.  

Ok, thanks. I have Mach so this is helpful.

aren't magic erasers harmful to jenpro? I thought I read that somewhere. I have noticed if you use them too much it takes of the natural shine of the jenpro, leaving spots dull or flat looking. I had some luck using rubbing alcohol and a good rag, and a lot of elbow grease. 

Edited by IpaddyTECH

2 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

aren't magic erasers harmful to jenpro? I thought I read that somewhere. I have noticed if you use them too much it takes of the natural shine of the jenpro, leaving spots dull or flat looking. I had some luck using rubbing alcohol and a good rag, and a lot of elbow grease. 

Magic Erasers are essentially a very fine coarse sponge with cleaning chemical. 

I'm sure you can figure out why taking sandpaper to jenpro may harm it. 😜 

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Magic Erasers are essentially a very fine coarse sponge with cleaning chemical. 

I'm sure you can figure out why taking sandpaper to jenpro may harm it. 😜 

Okay yeah that lines up with what I've read and seen. 👍

I think I was bringing it up because I don't think some people are aware of the more abrasive nature of magic erasers. Just like I wasn't the first few times I used it. I guess I was curious if perhaps there was a way to use them without harming the pads and maybe I just did it wrong. At first glance it looks like it's working beautifully, but if you look close after the pad dries, you can see a difference. Sounds like it's just not the right tool for the job if you want to preserve the sheen and integrity of the jenpro over time?

1 minute ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Okay yeah that lines up with what I've read and seen. 👍

I think I was bringing it up because I don't think some people are aware of the more abrasive nature of magic erasers. Just like I wasn't the first few times I used it. I guess I was curious if perhaps there was a way to use them without harming the pads and maybe I just did it wrong. At first glance it looks like it's working beautifully, but if you look close after the pad dries, you can see a difference. Sounds like it's just not the right tool for the job if you want to preserve the sheen and integrity of the jenpro over time?

Honestly, the safest method is probably just soap and water and elbow grease. 

But I'm also a "never clean pads ever" type of guy, so I'm sure others have better solutions. 

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, the safest method is probably just soap and water and elbow grease. 

But I'm also a "never clean pads ever" type of guy, so I'm sure others have better solutions. 

I'm in the safer is better category myself now. But like I said, I have had some luck with rubbing alcohol. I'm not seeing any abrasive effects an it did seem to loosen some more rubber than just dish soap alone. But try at your own risk. Just like carpet cleaning, test in an inconspicuous area first haha! Especially with different brands using different kinds of material or different qualities (cough bauer cough). 

That's another topic. Some guys see puck marks as badges of honor or a sign of a good busy goalie. Some guys like their pads to look brand new. I'm the later guy, who kind of wishes he was the prior guy. I appreciate the ruggedness of used, dirty pads, but they just ain't for me. My solution henceforth, neearly black pads. Plus all black is sexy. Much like your new set Coop, congrats btw

Edited by IpaddyTECH

6 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That's another topic. Some guys see puck marks as badges of honor or a sign of a good busy goalie. Some guys like their pads to look brand new. I'm the later guy, who kind of wishes he was the prior guy. I appreciate the ruggedness of used, dirty pads, but they just ain't for me. My solution henceforth, neearly black pads. Plus all black is sexy. Much like your new set Coop, congrats btw

Thanks buddy. Still on the fence on which way I'm going to finalize on. 

I love my puck marks. There was a couple years with my all blue GT2's and G5's that puck marks just weren't a thing and it was a bit disappointing. It'll definitely be something I'll miss if I go with the all black Machs. 

Edit: "Some guys see puck marks as badges of honor" 

I love seeing specific puck marks and remembering the saves that made 'em. Especially good ones. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I love seeing specific puck marks and remembering the saves that made 'em. Especially good ones. 

That might be my problem then. Making the "good saves", let alone remembering them haha! ;) 

(you should do a short review of the Mach's if you have time. I'm debating just getting the m5's, partly because they sound more similar to US than Mach)

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That might be my problem then. Making the "good saves", let alone remembering them haha! ;) 

(you should do a short review of the Mach's if you have time. I'm debating just getting the m5's, partly because they sound more similar to US than Mach)

Zero's review would be more comprehensive than mine. I could only offer some subjective comparisons between the US and Mach. 

I love the Mach strapping system and calf plate, I do think the US is a better profile. M5 (and soon Shadow) are probably the right mix of the two.