Does your performance correlate to where you're at? And can it be affected by lesser levels?

RichMan

Throughout my playing years, as I got better, I noticed something peculiar, if I play up, nothing too much above my skill level, I tend to do better or at least give them a run for their money. On the opposite end, if I play lower than my skill level, I tend to play worse and give up garbage goals. I know some of you are the same.

I wonder if the pros go through the same experience? You think that the elite goalie would look like he's just taking a walk in the park if playing at a much lower level then he/she is used to. Some ECHL goalies that move up to the AHL don't always stick around. And some AHL goalies who move upto the Show, well not all of them have that special magic to remain there.

It's different for forwards of course cause they can just skate circles around everyone and pick corners all day. But goalies it's all about timing and playing against bad shooters/skaters just seems to throw your game off for no good reason. 

• Like 4

I notice this 100%.   So much of what we do as goalies is timing, anticipation, expectations, and assessing risks.  This is all worse at lower levels so I think it's to be expected that we would have a more difficult time playing down vs. up.

I think the most difficult thing about playing up is just speed of shots, passes, and skating. I look at that as just a calibration challenge and I can usually get somewhat comfortable by the 2nd period of a higher game.

This all plays into my idea that the hockey in front of us is a filter: sometimes the filter is good, sometimes the filter is bad.  Our job as goalies is to handle anything that gets through the filter, good or bad. When the filter is good, our job is a easier.  When it's bad, our job is more difficult. 

I think this is going to translate to even pros.  Do I think an NHL goalie is going to struggle in div 1 beer league the same way a div 4 beer league goalie will struggle in div 7? No.  But I still think an NHL goalie would feel the difference in timing, anticipation, expectations, and assessing risks. 

I played a Div 6d game last night. I play in 4b.  I just tell myself to "let the puck come to me, don't overplay it."  I play more passive and more of a "protect the goal line" mentality at that level than I normally do.  Plus...I get the come out and play the puck a LOT :)

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 5

Both Steve McKichan and Jamie Phillips have gone on record saying this:

A significant workload specific to our position is reading what is going on in front of us is based off pattern recognition.

IMO:
At a higher level, when skaters have good fundamentals, shots/passes/etc are easier to read.  Generally, the team defending you is also more adept at identifying and eliminating high percentage scoring opportunities.
Conversely, at a lower level - skaters with suboptimal skillsets are going to reflect in their body language - making reads difficult and/or chaotic.
ie - maybe their stickblade and eyes show they're aiming top corner, but their hands/hips/skates are in position to send it it 5-hole.

At the pro level for goalies - IMO it's not so much the physical ability, but the mental acuity to consistently prepared for all lanes to the net.

It's different for a skater playing down as a they are dictating the play and forcing the defense to react to them.

• Like 4

@MTH. @seagoal, & @Chenner29....100% agree. When I was fortunate to advance as a young goalie, hockey began to make more sense. The plays were cleaner, the shots were harder but cleaner, and the skill made the situations less random and chaotic. Even at this age before my injury, I would rather skate or play against college/junior/recently removed from those levels players than less trained/skilled players. Plus, it's really the only way to grow your game. You either adapt and get better or drive the Z. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, Fullright said:

@MTH. @seagoal, & @Chenner29....100% agree. When I was fortunate to advance as a young goalie, hockey began to make more sense. The plays were cleaner, the shots were harder but cleaner, and the skill made the situations less random and chaotic. Even at this age before my injury, I would rather skate or play against college/junior/recently removed from those levels players than less trained/skilled players. Plus, it's really the only way to grow your game. You either adapt and get better or drive the Z. 

image.png.dd737bae295049cec3a907d678e6b786.png

This guy takes issue with your last statement

• Like 1
  • Haha 2