CCM Premier Pro Chest Protector

mr_shifty1982

This is my first review so bare with me.  My thoughts and reactions about the CCM Premier Pro chesty.

First of, when I started playing ice hockey as a goalie 7-8 ago I got a Reebok chesty, played with it for an hour (mind you I sucked so bad!) and sold it because it was the most uncomfortable, stiff equipment I have ever put on. I put down $400 and got a Bauer Pro chesty. I never looked back until now…..

Coming from a Bauer NXG chesty…..

I started having more of an interest with the CCM chesty when I seen more NHL goalies wear it and initially the size really had me wondering.

The unit is HUGE, I look like a transformer, for sure more coverage than my NXG even though it was a good size.

Even though the chesty is big, not big but HUGE, it isn’t as stiff as it looks.  The NXG took me about 5-6 games to break in but even that didn’t feel right.  I felt comfortable in the CCM right away, the wrist part was soft, the shoulders moved well and the unit wasn’t very stiff, and light did I mention? I was surprised.  My NXG is heavier than the CCM, sorry I don’t have the weight in, the chesty doesn’t feel any heavier as the game goes on like the NXG did from build up sweat.  The elbow blocks are soft and big.  The chesty does run low on your arms, but you can adjust it.  I’m used to that because the NXG ran low, just took time getting used to. The shoulder floaters are massive, and due to the adjustable velcro straps you can move them for maximum coverage (left to right), which I have.  The good thing about this chesty is all the adjustable velcro straps, to move it for your liking, your height,  size, etc. 

The rib protection is great as you can see, really protects you all around but the only issue I’m having is the rib protection riding up a little when I get ready for a shot, gets in the way of my armpits but within time I’m sure that it will soften and set.

As you know D30 foam is all around the chesty, I did take a pretty big slap shot right at the middle of the chesty up close and didn’t feel a thing, the puck didn’t die out right in front as I hoped but I was still breathing.  The chesty runs low and I do tuck, which also gives great protection for the stomach area.  I did also get the Premier pants vs my NXG pants and it’s a lot lighter. 

Overall after 2 skates I’m happy with it.  I look big, yet mobile and light.  It’s not stiff, and I got used to it right away.  If you’re used to a big heavy chesty you will fly in this! I recommend it.  Mind you, I was never a fan of the CCM chesty before.

20180531_192525.thumb.jpg.7b1d30b09398fc2f2b93c0d0e9403358.jpg

20180531_192530.jpg

20180531_192539.jpg

20180531_192550.jpg

20180531_192610.jpg

20180531_192625.jpg

20180531_192709.jpg

20180531_192757.jpg

20180531_192829.jpg

20180531_192730.jpg

Do you find the arms comfortable? My biggest problem with trying on the unit was the arms felt terrible even at their highest setting. But may be because of sizing. Realistically I should be in a L body/M arms, however. This was easy to mod on my c/a but it would be impossible on this one (at least with my skill).

Are you a tucker? If not, how does the unit perform untucked?

@Aquilzz

I think I'm a medium arm as well but I'm used to it, don't have long arms at all. Is the problem that your elbow desn't hit the cup? The wrist portion of the chesty moves up and down so you can push it how you see fit....you can also bring the whole arms area up....

I tuck yes and used to it. Tried it once and never went back. I'm not sure how it would be untucked to be honest. The unit sits well, something you may have to play with. 

Good review @mr_shifty1982!! I have the original CCM Premier unit (had it for about 3 years now) and echo some of what has been mentioned already...

• Shoulder Floaters were too big for my liking. Never did get used to them and is one of the reasons I have a Passau C/A on order. @coopaloop1234
  • Arm Length was an issue. I bought a Medium and the chest size is fine (although I do wear untucked and did opt for a belly extended on the Passau) the arm length was too long for me. I had to shorten the arms... and I still can't get the elbow caps to stay in place well.
    • @Aquilzz I took out about an inch from the arm length by just opening the seam at the top, cutting out what was necessary, reattached the elastic and the binding. Did shorten them well... but like i said above, the elbow caps never did fit well and it became even more of issue when I shortened the arms.

Happy to see they redesigned the original attachment from the back to the belly. First iteration had plastic clips that I must have replaced about 3 times. The velcro is a much better solution... less to go wrong. Also they redesigned the elbow cap attachment to the arm. The original was fraught with problems like the plastic rings twisting, elastic stretched out, didn't line up with elbow caps.

It has been a fantastic unit in terms of protection though. Some guys talk about getting stingers with units (and while I can't say I've ever gotten them that often with any C/A I've ever had) but I don't recall ever getting any with the CCM piece. I 100% agree with you too on the obvious coverage... it is MASSIVE. While it's great for blocking I just found after a few years of use that I need a more mobile unit. 

12 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Good review!

I have the older non pro version of the c/a, and i modded the arms to sit alot higher, i can post some pics if people want.

Go for it buddy!

@BadAngle41 thank you! My NXG arms were pretty long and at first I was bothered by it but got used to it.  This unit sits the same for me, I'm used to it, just need to push that arm piece UP and it will sit.

I have heard of people getting stingers in the arms from the last unit before, but there is so much protection on this I don't know if you can, we will see!

8 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Go for it buddy!

@BadAngle41 thank you! My NXG arms were pretty long and at first I was bothered by it but got used to it.  This unit sits the same for me, I'm used to it, just need to push that arm piece UP and it will sit.

I have heard of people getting stingers in the arms from the last unit before, but there is so much protection on this I don't know if you can, we will see!

Between you, me, and any readers of this... I think stingers are more or a technical issue when you're wearing an appropriate C/A for the level of play you're facing. Don't get me wrong, they do happen. But I'd guess most guys who get them often aren't getting to their spot and getting square which is making them expose parts of the arm not exactly meant to take on straight on hit instead. That's just one man's opinion though. 

I'd be surprised if you get any. Keep up the posts on it though... anything you tinker with etc.

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Good review. 

But man, I can never get over those shoulder floaters. 

This. I ordered the Optik for this very reason. Other than the shoulders, though, it is easy to play in from the beginning. Plus it's an absolute tank.

45 minutes ago, braedub90 said:

This. I ordered the Optik for this very reason. Other than the shoulders, though, it is easy to play in from the beginning. Plus it's an absolute tank.

I don't think anything is getting in between my pits and glove or blocker :rofl:

12 hours ago, braedub90 said:

Did you put the optik on? I saw one today laying around in the store...held it and felt heavy. 

31 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Did you put the optik on? I saw one today laying around in the store...held it and felt heavy. 

I have, and it is a little heavier (the difference is minute), but I found it a lot easier to move around in.

My CCM Premier Pro was a great unit, just found the shoulders a little restricting.

• 8 months later...

An update...I came to the conclusion that the body of the unit is just crap. After 8 months of use 4 bruises, 1 major in the belly area.  For a price point of $650 CDN I'm not happy, I ended up buying a beefed up version.  I started facing A/B shooters but still...it's not right. I'm not facing NHL shooters.  This chesty would be perfect for C/D level of play. 

With that said CCM will release the same exact chesty as this with ZERO changes, the only change...the color and name so don't be fooled. 

20181027_132124.jpg

20190215_114433.jpg

IMG_20190220_102704_843.jpg

Archived