osgood schlatter

itis121

Hi, I have had osgood schlatter on my left knee since I was 13 playing goal. I'm in my 20's now and wondering if anyone has any experience with it as well and how do you prepare before a game?

Main reason I'm asking is that the other week at work my knee started to acting up (slight throbbing on the bulge of left knee). The cause was more or less work related from carrying heavy equipment/tools.It has been the first time in a while since my knee has been acting up too. I play 2-3 time a week as well as volunteer coach for my brothers hockey team. Any tips besides staying out/ taking it easy? 

That damned disease was the reason I had to stop playing hockey as a kid. I got it in both knees, really bad, really painful. They still swell up from time to time. There's not much you can do about it other than stretching your hips and knees and make sure you're using soft, cushioned knee guards. I use the Passau ones and besides being incredibly protective, they are also very comfy with lots of cushioning. You can put ice on your knee after a game if you find it's swelling and that might help. I play 4-5 times a week and some weeks are better than others. There's no cure, so 'learn to live with it' is about all we can do.

31 minutes ago, parebele said:

That damned disease was the reason I had to stop playing hockey as a kid. I got it in both knees, really bad, really painful. They still swell up from time to time. There's not much you can do about it other than stretching your hips and knees and make sure you're using soft, cushioned knee guards. I use the Passau ones and besides being incredibly protective, they are also very comfy with lots of cushioning. You can put ice on your knee after a game if you find it's swelling and that might help. I play 4-5 times a week and some weeks are better than others. There's no cure, so 'learn to live with it' is about all we can do.

One of the main reasons why I prefer my reactor knee guard over the supremes. It was a lot easier on my knees. But damm both knees. My old goalie partner in minor hockey had to quit hockey for the same reason. 

Basically, it's a disease that active kids get. The thigh muscle pulls at the tendon under the kneecap, which in turn pulls on the growth bone everyone has at the top of their shin bone. In some kids (usually the more active ones, hockey, running, etc.) the thigh pulls so hard on the tendon that the growth bone gets pulled up too far, leaving a gap. This gap then gets filled in with bone. It usually occurs during puberty when everything's growing and goes away (kind of) around the teen years. It usually only occurs in one knee and the pain can be anywhere from mildly irritating to debilitating. I had it debilitating in both knees while my sister had it mildly in one knee. It's the luck of the draw I guess.

• 6 months later...

I've had it in both knees since I was 14. The best advice I have is to do any knee stretches. It seems pretty obvious but it works well for the game, I rarely notice it while playing. My doctor told me it typically goes away in your late 20s, so you're almost there. 

Here's an article I found helpful for pre-game. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/anterior-knee-pain/osgood-schlatters-disease-exercises (sorry if I'm not supposed to post links). It seems to work well, however, I still find my knees stiffening up when I go to the showers, maybe stretching after the game would help as well.

Best of luck.

Archived