Bauer S23 GSX Stick

indykrap

Hey all,

Thought I'd post some early impressions on my new GSX stick (pictured on the right). I've definitely been in need of a new one since my beloved 3X went soft on me (left in the picture). I thought about springing for the Elite but my upcoming nuptials mean every dollar counts.

In short, I'm a big fan! It's very, very well balanced - a few guys on my team said it felt lighter in the hand than their (obviously lighter) player sticks, but more importantly it feels solid and stable in my stance. Great puckhandling with the P31 curve which gives it a nice lift on clearing and handling when you want it. Stick saves came off nice and hot and ramped up into the corners. I also like that it doesn't have any kind of grippy material, which I find on other sticks interfered with my Warrior G5 blocker so I usually sanded off. I like a bit of grip that I use tape for but keep the rest smooth as I love a good poke check (who doesn't!).

Size-wise, I'm 6'0 (all torso) and use a 24" intermediate stick. I made this change on recommendations from a lot of people from a 26" a few years ago and haven't looked back. I have a Warrior 25" (M1 SR+) and the size lines up more or less.

Durability will of course need to be assessed over time, but if it's anything like the 3X I should be able to get at least a year out of it playing twice or more a year.

IMG_6980.thumb.jpg.6955b210adf46b9d82f93070bc1d898a.jpg

• Like 3

I've been looking at those and, just like you, I hate the tacky grip on the handles as I do use the poke check as well. The ones I've seen around here are all silver. I had no idea they came in different colours.

The paddle has an odd concave shape to it. Did you find it weird or there's nothing to it?

They go for 120$-140$ I think? Do they still come with a 90 day guarantee? 

How's the vibration?

What's the fastest animal on the planet?

What's the km circumference of the island of Guinea?

What is.... LOLLL ;) :D 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I've been looking at those and, just like you, I hate the tacky grip on the handles as I do use the poke check as well. The ones I've seen around here are all silver. I had no idea they came in different colours.

The paddle has an odd concave shape to it. Did you find it weird or there's nothing to it?

They go for 120$-140$ I think? Do they still come with a 90 day guarantee? 

How's the vibration?

What's the fastest animal on the planet?

What's the km circumference of the island of Guinea?

What is.... LOLLL ;) :D 

Let's see here:

1- did not really notice, honestly!

2- got mine for $135.59 CAD shipped from The Hockey Shop in BC, which has lots of colour options

3- from the shots I took I didn't feel any noticeable vibrations, and these guys can shoot pretty hard. I'll update here after I've taken a few more reps with it though.

4- trick question. Peregrine Falcon overall, and in air (incl. diving), Cheetah on land, Sailfish in water

5- 4366km (2713 in freedom units), 4046km land and 320km water

6- laugh out loud lots lollingly winky big smile

ask me a hard one next time, @RichMan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

It's also crazy that NHL guys are using NXGs still. Just based off weight, the GSX is in the ballpark. Great stick for the price.

Interesting! Is this one of those "this year's low-end model is yesteryear's pro model"?

I mean, NXG being quite a few years back now.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:19 AM, indykrap said:

Hey all,

Thought I'd post some early impressions on my new GSX stick (pictured on the right). I've definitely been in need of a new one since my beloved 3X went soft on me (left in the picture). I thought about springing for the Elite but my upcoming nuptials mean every dollar counts.

In short, I'm a big fan! It's very, very well balanced - a few guys on my team said it felt lighter in the hand than their (obviously lighter) player sticks, but more importantly it feels solid and stable in my stance. Great puckhandling with the P31 curve which gives it a nice lift on clearing and handling when you want it. Stick saves came off nice and hot and ramped up into the corners. I also like that it doesn't have any kind of grippy material, which I find on other sticks interfered with my Warrior G5 blocker so I usually sanded off. I like a bit of grip that I use tape for but keep the rest smooth as I love a good poke check (who doesn't!).

Size-wise, I'm 6'0 (all torso) and use a 24" intermediate stick. I made this change on recommendations from a lot of people from a 26" a few years ago and haven't looked back. I have a Warrior 25" (M1 SR+) and the size lines up more or less.

Durability will of course need to be assessed over time, but if it's anything like the 3X I should be able to get at least a year out of it playing twice or more a year.

IMG_6980.thumb.jpg.6955b210adf46b9d82f93070bc1d898a.jpg

Congratulations to you and the future Mrs. Indykrap!

I'm a similar height, but I'm in the opposite boat. I'm more legs than torso. I would still prefer a shorter stick, if only to take away the 7-hole. If the GSX is good, and has full right 24" sticks available, I'll think about buying a pair. 

21 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Congratulations to you and the future Mrs. Indykrap!

I'm a similar height, but I'm in the opposite boat. I'm more legs than torso. I would still prefer a shorter stick, if only to take away the 7-hole. If the GSX is good, and has full right 24" sticks available, I'll think about buying a pair. 

Thanks @ilyazhito!

looks like there’s been quite a run on these lately - wonder if I should call Cam and ask for a cut. 

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/bauer-gsx-intermediate-goalie-stick?variant=40249007571010

They do seem well stocked most times though so keep an eye out.