Glove existential crisis

pkbucks

I've gotten back into playing within the past year and a half after a long layoff of several years- which meant getting all new gear.

Started back by buying a Bauer Mach in October 2022. I suppose off the shelf its reasonably close to a 600 break. Easy to catch, extremely lightweight, pocket presents very deep. Kinda is floppy (opening and closing at this point is buttery now), less protection but still very few stingers. I stink at playing the puck, and the 600 closure I think does not help in that regard. Would have preferred full finger stalls, but this glove's system is adequate. Definitely feel my findgers sliding around in there when trying to play the puck on the backhand in a wet glove.

Was convinced after about a year to get a True 9x3 off the shelf, 590 break. I honestly cannot get used to the glove. Very high quality, extremely protective, but its basically a second blocker. I feel the pocket doesn't present too large and (granted its because I'm just not that good) sooo many pucks hit the palm and bounce away. Plus, I'm way slower and the glove just feels heavier.

My point: I feel the Bauer is so buttery that its going to eventually break down. I might need to search for a new one soon, but am reluctant as I have a slight bias in thinking that Bauer gear tends to break down a little faster. I'm not in an area where I have a shop with large amounts of stock for me to try on. Are there specs on other brands of gloves that are in line with the Bauer Mach from other brands (Brian's, CCM, Warrior)? I'd love for True to match up the same, but it has not been my experience. The light weight of Bauer is good for my weak arms (granted, I know balance of how the weight is distributed is important as well). I suppose it might be nice to transition to a 590 or 580 at some point for puck handling, but is absolutely not a priority.

Feel free to give opinions on blockers too. I seem to like the pop I get off my equally old Bauer Hyperlite, though I also fear some material is wearing down too. The 9.3 blocker seems to not kick rebounds out to the corner as well as I'd like.

• Like 1

You're buying pro-level gear already - what's stopping you from making the jump to custom and getting a custom Bauer glove? You'd be able to reinforce the tee, add foam to the thumb, go with a pro palm to beef up the fingers. But the closure won't be buttery at that point.

Edited by ZeroGravitas

Recommendations for you:

• Do as @ZeroGravitas said and go full custom with a Supreme glove
    • I have no real opinion on these gloves other than "they're not for me"
  • Go custom and get a True 600 glove or
    • Look for a True 600 used online
  • Try a Vaughn V10 Pro Carbon
  • Try a Brian's Iconik (or used GNetik of whatever number, the 4 and 5 are very similar)

I'm a 600 glove user. My favorites thus far have been the V10 and GNetikV (haven't gotten to try an Iconik yet). I'm waiting on a True 600, so I'll eventually be able to give fully formed opinions on their 600 glove (I'm hopeful). It is accurate that puck-playing with a 600 does feel a little less conducive to the Turco grip, but I still find I'm pretty adequately able to fire pucks off as long as I set it properly. It's a bit like punching with the outside mass of your glove-side hand instead of with your palm or like a full overhand grip.

If you have additional questions/thoughts, obviously feel free to shoot them my way and I'll try to help, as will others.

Edited by keeperton

Warrior gloves, the best of all worlds. Nuff said. Protective, closes better than the rest, durable, crazy light, better strapping that the rest. Brian's and maybe some Vaighn might come close. Tried True and had the same issues as you, nearly tried Bauer custom but went with a sweet deal on a warrior 6.1 pro and I can't imagine it being any better so I haven't looked back. I'm in a Bauer blocker though because they are the lightest with the most pop. I love the blocker but have definite concerns about build quality. 

I think this kind of goes without saying on a forum but... that's just my 2 cents. 

Edited by IpaddyTECH
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Warrior gloves, the best of all worlds. Nuff said. Protective, closes better than the rest, durable, crazy light, better strapping that the rest. [...] I'm in a Bauer blocker though because they are the lightest with the most pop. I love the blocker but have definite concerns about build quality. 

I am a recent convert as well and in the same exact setup of Warrior glove and Bauer Blocker for the same exact reason (6 vs 6.1 though).

After struggling with CCM gloves, I tried a Warrior G4 and I hated it. I found Bauer to work well enough. But somehow on a whim I got a Warrior G6 SR on a super sale and after one oven bake it closes better than anything I've used. I think I will get a x.1 to try in the future to see how I like that as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Oh hey, is this where we chime in about how Warrior catchers > all else? 

Edit: Zero is a hater. 

I don't love them, but I also don't hate them. They're a great off-the-shelf feeling glove, but none of their break options totally agree with me nor do they seem to align with other "standards" out there completely.

This brings up an interesting topic if it hasn't been done here before.

Glove breaks and stick handling efficiency.

There is value in recognising if your puck handling is just a zero from the get go and you just gotta go through the learning curve. Then there's the stick of choice: is it the right size? Is the handle too long? Is it just too heavy for you? Do you play glove under or over (Turco)? 

Finally comes the glove structure itself. I'm sure the break angle has to influence the grip on the stick. Try as I may, my 75 degree GT2 doesn't let me get a solid grip on the handle in the Turco grip. I use a 25" JRZ stick (for now), the handle isn't long, kinda like the Bauer GSX, and as much as I work on it and despite micro improvements, I can't get a good push off, I can't dribble or stick handle the puck, my back hand is even worse. It's frustrating cause I try to get involved in the play as much as possible but not having a proper handle makes for questionable plays at times and messes with ones confidence. I see guys like Bob do circles with the puck like it's magnetised. First loop i'd be chasing the puck 5-10 feet away already 😝

I'll second the Warrior gloves in terms of protection and catch-ability.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:42 PM, pkbucks said:

I've gotten back into playing within the past year and a half after a long layoff of several years- which meant getting all new gear.

Started back by buying a Bauer Mach in October 2022. I suppose off the shelf its reasonably close to a 600 break. Easy to catch, extremely lightweight, pocket presents very deep. Kinda is floppy (opening and closing at this point is buttery now), less protection but still very few stingers. I stink at playing the puck, and the 600 closure I think does not help in that regard. Would have preferred full finger stalls, but this glove's system is adequate. Definitely feel my findgers sliding around in there when trying to play the puck on the backhand in a wet glove.

Was convinced after about a year to get a True 9x3 off the shelf, 590 break. I honestly cannot get used to the glove. Very high quality, extremely protective, but its basically a second blocker. I feel the pocket doesn't present too large and (granted its because I'm just not that good) sooo many pucks hit the palm and bounce away. Plus, I'm way slower and the glove just feels heavier.

My point: I feel the Bauer is so buttery that its going to eventually break down. I might need to search for a new one soon, but am reluctant as I have a slight bias in thinking that Bauer gear tends to break down a little faster. I'm not in an area where I have a shop with large amounts of stock for me to try on. Are there specs on other brands of gloves that are in line with the Bauer Mach from other brands (Brian's, CCM, Warrior)? I'd love for True to match up the same, but it has not been my experience. The light weight of Bauer is good for my weak arms (granted, I know balance of how the weight is distributed is important as well). I suppose it might be nice to transition to a 590 or 580 at some point for puck handling, but is absolutely not a priority.

Feel free to give opinions on blockers too. I seem to like the pop I get off my equally old Bauer Hyperlite, though I also fear some material is wearing down too. The 9.3 blocker seems to not kick rebounds out to the corner as well as I'd like.

I went from 590 to 580 and it’s a very similar break in my experience. Definitely not something I’d buy if you like your mach and can’t try out without commitment. I agree with some of the others on just stick with the mach. True will feel heavy to you and Ccm 600s aren’t great without extensive break in. Brian’s stuff is good but may feel a little heavy, and Vaughn gloves aren’t for everyone. Definitely a tough situation but I’d stay with a supreme glove