Playoff Observations

Fullright

I don't have a fav in the Pens v. Caps. I like them both. Fluery was tremendous. In his book, Keeks calls him the probably most technically proficient goalie in the NHL. Putting aside some of the circus stops he made last night, Keeks may well be right. MAF is a very highly skilled goalie.

9 hours ago, A10airknight said:

And the Fleury run continues. As a lifelong Pens fan, this is great to watch. He deserves it. Classy guy.

Same here.  I was a little worried he might fall apart with Murray on the bench last night, but it was the best he's played yet, showing once again that it's his team for at least a little while longer.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:50 AM, Fullright said:

I don't have a fav in the Pens v. Caps. I like them both. Fluery was tremendous. In his book, Keeks calls him the probably most technically proficient goalie in the NHL. Putting aside some of the circus stops he made last night, Keeks may well be right. MAF is a very highly skilled goalie.

I don't know much about technical proficiency, but I'd say he's the most athletic goalie I've ever seen play.  Not in the explosive sense like a Jonathan Quick, but that he doesn't move like a robot that's been programmed to do the same thing since he was 10 years old.  He has the physical ability to make any type of save and make it look easy, so he just goes out and plays.  Above all else, it's nice to see a goalie or any hockey player for that matter smile and have fun playing the game.  Despite being a Pens fan, I like watching Braden Holtby play as well, however the guy constantly looks like he's trying to do long division in his head.

5 hours ago, longboarderj said:

If the Ducks get past Nashville my life will be hell for the next year.  It's hard being a Kings fan in Orange County when the Ducks are good.

For me, it's all in reverse - exactly ten years after, I'm hoping. :D . btw. but it was little hard to be Ducks fan when Kings won their two cups, you know ;) .

13 hours ago, Fullright said:

So now we are down to 4....guessing the Pens v. Ducks for the Grail? Btw, how would you like to be in charge of the Caps after another regular season of excellence and not so hot in the playoffs? Yikes.

Toughest job in the NHL this off-season if you ask me.  But if you look at the Caps realistically, all their talent and hype barely got them past the very young and inexperienced Leafs in the 1st round, they needed OT at least 3 times if I remember correctly.  So why then are they so shocked they couldn't beat a more hardened team in the Pens?  To me the Caps lacked mental toughness.  They came out flying in the first period of game 7 and when the bounces didn't go their way and they didn't score right away, it was like they went flat and couldn't handle the Pens energy after that.  In my opinion that 100% falls on the coach and the leadership of that team.  

• 2 weeks later...

So a puck goes across the crease and the defender directs it into his own net with his skate, and it's the goalie's fault? Are you f-in kidding me? And it's a former goalie on air blaming him. This is one one of the reasons I can't stand watching hockey coverage. In other sports, the analysts and commentators properly analyze the play and determine who should have done what. In hockey, "Goalie's fault! Goalie's fault!" Awful.

I think that they sayed Gibson has "lower body injury". In his case, this can be aductor injury again... and again :(.

Sad that Ducks didn´t make it to the Finals, but I have to admit that Rinne it was great. In my opinion, he was the main factor of Preds win. Without him, they would not have much chance against Ducks. But it is team sport and the better wins - congrats to Preds.

19 hours ago, mik said:

I think that they sayed Gibson has "lower body injury". In his case, this can be aductor injury again... and again :(.

Sad that Ducks didn´t make it to the Finals, but I have to admit that Rinne it was great. In my opinion, he was the main factor of Preds win. Without him, they would not have much chance against Ducks. But it is team sport and the better wins - congrats to Preds.

Would have been funny to see a Ducks/Senators final again. :)

Archived