Playoff Observations

Fullright

Guess Jim Rutherford is just as underrated as a GM as he was when he played goal.

With all due respect to the New Yorkers, will someone on that team ever grow a pair of balls and find someone, anyone, to keep the Habs off Hank? Please. Watching the 1st period and Hank is playing out of his mind and the not-so-physical Habs are jamming him on every play.

27 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Guess Jim Rutherford is just as underrated as a GM as he was when he played goal.

With all due respect to the New Yorkers, will someone on that team ever grow a pair of balls and find someone, anyone, to keep the Habs off Hank? Please. Watching the 1st period and Hank is playing out of his mind and the not-so-physical Habs are jamming him on every play.

Trust me its something that is thoroughly complained about in Rangerstown(I hate that moniker so I can't believe I actually used it). 

I should probably explain my crack about Hank. I am a fan but not his biggest and I don't think he's the greatest of all time but the man is strong, has been doing his thing for a long long time and always shows up. But every time the playoffs roll around, his worst enemy is his teammates. They just don't keep people off of him. I've never understood why they let him, the best player on their team, get crashed so much. The first period last night was plain stupid how they let some Habs drive his crease.

Agreed, Willy and Bunny. Allen was out of his mind.

The Calgary series should be rough with some very good NHL playoff hockey. Looking forward to it.

59 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I should probably explain my crack about Hank. I am a fan but not his biggest and I don't think he's the greatest of all time but the man is strong, has been doing his thing for a long long time and always shows up. But every time the playoffs roll around, his worst enemy is his teammates. They just don't keep people off of him. I've never understood why they let him, the best player on their team, get crashed so much. The first period last night was plain stupid how they let some Habs drive his crease.

Agreed, Willy and Bunny. Allen was out of his mind.

The Calgary series should be rough with some very good NHL playoff hockey. Looking forward to it.

I agree.  AV teams are as soft as baby shit.  That defense corps was much harder to play against in the Tortorella days.  

Watched the Habs v. Rangers. Hank again is getting run. When did the Habs turn into the heavy Ducks or the Kings?

Chicago cant get out of its way. Good job by the Preds systemically choking Chicago off. Leafs are trying soooo hard. Hope they catch some breaks. Blue Jackets' inexperience is showing while the Pens experience is carrying them, not to mention MAF playing pretty well. Calgary v. Ducks is fun to watch but Getzlaff has just decided to carry the team. Who won Edmonton v. San Jose? Passed out last night at the start of the 3rd.

On 4/13/2017 at 11:39 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I agree.  AV teams are as soft as baby shit.  That defense corps was much harder to play against in the Tortorella days.  

AV makes no adjustments, when his team starts getting outplayed and outcoached he does nothing about it and insists on staying with what USED to work.  The players respond by taking bad penalties or standing around because they know their getting beat and don't know what to do about it.  For a team that was pretty slow to begin with... the game just got a lot faster.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

AV makes no adjustments, when his team starts getting outplayed and outcoached he does nothing about it and insists on staying with what USED to work.  The players respond by taking bad penalties or standing around because they know their getting beat and don't know what to do about it.  For a team that was pretty slow to begin with... the game just got a lot faster.

Yep.  His other biggest knock with Ranger fans.  He cannot adjust.  Once the going gets tough he does not get going.

Although I've mainly just seen highlights, Fredrick Andersen should probably put his left knee down on the ice at some point during these playoffs. It seems he's being beaten five-hole on every other goal and he's never in a full butterfly, but instead only down on his right knee. And he looks confused after it happens. 

Never been a big fan of him. I think he gets anxious when shots whiz past his noggin. But he's in the show so what do I know?

I think Billy Smith needs to come out of retirement. Way too many goalies get crashed, incidental or otherwise, and no one does anything about it. The goalies have just eaten it - I get it in that no one wants a retaliation penalty - but where are the skaters? That little sawed off runt Arvidson needs to have his ass kicked to Mars. Preds were the better team by miles but the Hawks were totally ball-less and didn't do a darn thing to protect Crawford. Yeah sure, Keith got a hit on the runt but by accident and only because Arvidson had his head down. Why keep your head up? Hawks weren't going to do anything.

Great recovery by Hank and the Rangers. I have always loved the Habs but I was happy for Hank in particular.

Leafs are going to be a really good team going in the next few years. Although Fred played better than I gave him credit for being, I am still not sold on him. Matthews is the real deal and Kadri played well rather than being a punk. Caps v Pens should be great.

Very happy for Craig Anderson; he's from the area and went to the same high school as my daughter so you gotta support your local goalie. About time he had some success in the playoffs.

Man, the playoffs are fun aren't they?

can we agree that the move invented by Roy and Allaire to block Super Mario's move out of the corner - read Roy's Dad's book about his son - is going to cost a great goalie much embarrassment and that the theory of pre-planned goalie moves for all plays doesn't work? Hank, stay on your feet!!!!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Fullright said:

can we agree that the move invented by Roy and Allaire to block Super Mario's move out of the corner - read Roy's Dad's book about his son - is going to cost a great goalie much embarrassment and that the theory of pre-planned goalie moves for all plays doesn't work? Hank, stay on your feet!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone follows a bunch of the goalie handles on IG, many of them are constantly posting pictures of kids practicing RVH because it's the "IT" thing right now. (not any coaches on here though)

However, every time there is an NHL goalie that gets burned over using the move, the same guys chime in that it "makes them cringe"... 

I almost feel like goalies should be first taught to react to pucks and then learn the more advanced techniques. My logic is that kids should get a feel for organically stopping the puck before they move onto the black belt moves. 

It would be the goal-tending equivalent of learning long division before moving onto a calculator ( or iPad app - that what the kids use now?)

@Joe Messina @Jukka Ropponen - Can either of you comment? 

I think the one issue with goaltending and different techniques is that when a mistake happens it is immediately noticeable and can lose a game for a team. A bunch of people will analyse what went wrong and people will critique the save selection or the choice made.

I think this play is a great example of that and shouldn't be something that pushes people away from the RVH. The puck went in, but also deflected off Stephan (which did change the direction) but Hank also played the RVH wrong since he didn't cover the post and compressed. Mind you this isn't the 1st time a behind the goal line goal went off his head and in... But I don't think this should be seen as a huge negative for the RVH, I'll continue to use it as it seriously helps my game. But if I was teaching kids I'd teach them the fundamentals of it but ensure they don't rely on it as much as I do since they don't have my height advantage.

https://streamable.com/0rr07

Remember when everyone was overusing post leg up technique? Or VH as some called it. That technique isn't quite as prevalent anymore. A lot of bad goals came from misuse of that technique, too. Hopefully goalies will start to use RVH less and not get burned by so many bad goals. It is an appropriate technique at times of course. 

Murray got burned on a lot of goals in the RVH last post season too.  Shit happens.  I rarely, if ever, use the the VH or the RVH.  I tend to just stand up and hug the post as was taught forever.  Surprisingly(sarcasm), I have never let in a goal from behind the goal line that I can remember.  Amazing, eh?

Yeah, I agree with TheGoalNet. I am not anti positive or negative or forward or backward VH. I've tried to add it to my game. Whatever works to keep the puck out. But again, there's no way Hank gets beat like that if he keeps his feet either on the one a few nights ago or the one Sid banked in off of Hank's noggin. Hills, it is noticeable because it is the playoffs and very simply it is a bad goal. Plus the situation Hank used it in is not the one for which the move was invented according to Roy's dad for whatever that's worth. Karlson's and Crosby's goal notwithstanding, shooting from there is nothing new. In the 80s, guys used to take a slap shot from those areas at the goalie's head or shoulders hoping for the bank in or to get in the goalie's mind.

Got you beat, Richter. I've given up goals from everywhere. :thumbup:

Archived