Kenesky PP1 Anderson Pro-Return Chest and Arms Review

beansbats

I have a bit of a gear problem and have tried many CA’s over the years.  My current CA rotation includes a Passau ProPack, a V6 Varlamov pro-return, and a Brown 2400.  I also had a brief dalliance with the Optik.  Similar to just about everyone on this board I have been following and drooling over the Kenesky CA’s on social media.  When the Anderson one popped up for sale I messaged Mike and paid for it within a  half hour of it being listed.  Phew.  Kenesky shipped it on the Thursday that I ordered it, and it was in my hands in Michigan by early Monday afternoon.  Fantastic customer service!

As far as the chesty itself, it appears to be very well made with not a stitch out of place.  The weight is 7.33 pounds, heavier than my Vaughn and lighter than my Passau by a few ounces each direction.  There are no obvious gaps in protection (IE. No places in the arms or body where I feel like flesh would be exposed).  The CA fits like it was made for me and had great mobility when I tried it on for the first time.  It is a good thing that it fits because it does not have a ton of adjustability.  While many chesty’s use velcro for adjustability, the Kenesky is nearly sewn in it’s entirety.

On-Ice Comments

Four games in and I have had no stingers!  Games one and two were in my over 40 draft league with multiple ex D1 players and a few ex-pros.  These guys don’t skate like they used to but they can still shoot the puck.  Six or seven hard shots off of the chest that I could feel just enough to control.  I only received a couple of shots to the arms and they did not find any gaps.  Games three and four were in my over 50 draft league.  Older, slower, and the shots are tapering a bit.  I had the same positive experience with the shots to the torso.  On an additional note, the arms seal against the body better than any chesty that I have ever used.  There were several saves under the arms that may have squeaked through on other CA’s.  As far as the arms, the performance was fantastic!  For some reason it seemed like every other save was off my arms.  Absolutely nothing found gaps.  I am actually looking forward to some harder shots in my next games.

Summary

I love this chesty and will attempt to make this a living review as it receives more use.  Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

IMG_8266.JPG

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8265.JPG

I was curious about the strapping because of what you mentioned about it being almost sewn in place.  NHL spec C/A's pretty much have to have all adjustability taken away, like that pic of Cody Porter's VE8 unit where the shoulder straps were sewn in place.  

All those straps seemed like there would be endless adjustability, but then KW wouldn't have signed it.  Are any of the elastic straps sewn in place, like down the arms or anything?  Or is it mainly the seatbelt type material?

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

I was curious about the strapping because of what you mentioned about it being almost sewn in place.  NHL spec C/A's pretty much have to have all adjustability taken away, like that pic of Cody Porter's VE8 unit where the shoulder straps were sewn in place.  

All those straps seemed like there would be endless adjustability, but then KW wouldn't have signed it.  Are any of the elastic straps sewn in place, like down the arms or anything?  Or is it mainly the seatbelt type material?

The waist and wrist straps are the only elastics.  The others are all webbing.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

@beansbats... I see 2 different padded shirts in the photo... Vaughn V8 and what looks to be the Verbero Shield... are you wearing one under that unit? I ask bc I've actually stopped wearing one since receiving my Passau. Found it was getting warm and the need for it just wasn't there anymore.

LOL.  I actually wear Unequal padded shirts now.  Once I got used to it, the extra warmth didn’t bother me.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:22 AM, Mroy31 said:

Kenesky told me the c/a are tailored to each goalie on fit. 

16 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere on the forum. Why was Optik short lived?

Good question.  Apparently the stock arms on the XL are a L, which made it impossible for me to adjust to the correct length and not have the shoulder floaters bind or get caught with every movement.  By adjusting the arm length I also opened a space for stingers.  If I'd gone with a custom Optik it probably would have been a better experience.

Archived