CCM Extreme Flex Shield II Pro C/A

ZeroGravitas

Hi all. I just purchased the CCM Extreme Flex Shield II Pro C/A (size Medium) the other day and wanted to share my thoughts since there doesn't appear to be much feedback regarding these chest pads. This first post is basically the background and first impressions, with a more detailed review to follow after I get it on-ice for several skates.

Background

I've been playing pretty regularly for the past 14-15 years. The chest and arm units I've used during that period are as follows:

Vaughn Vision 3700

CCM Heaton H5 Pro-stock

Koho 589 Pro

CCM Premier 1 Pro (not to be confused with CCM's current Premier line)

Passau Gen 1

I liked my latest acquisition, a used Passau G1, quite a bit, except for the fatal flaw of the G1 units - there was almost no protection on the upper arm/bicep area. The mobility and comfort was excellent, but I was just getting too many dead arms and was getting a little puck shy as a result. I'm lucky to live near a Goalie Monkey store and was able to try on all the new pro level chest protectors that the big hockey companies are current selling. I tried them all briefly in the store - the Vaughn V8 and SLR, the Bauer 2S Supreme and 1X Vapor, the Warrior G4 and the CCM Premier and Brian's Optik. I was looking for something slim and mobile, with good rib protection and good arm protection. None of them felt right; except for the Shield II, so I pulled the trigger in the special Monkey colorway.

First Impressions

20181205_174109_HDR.thumb.jpg.b9169b04d3b3a099408adc2b95c4a522.jpg

First impression - damn, that looks cool. And it looks so much smaller than the CCM Premier!

Second, after trying it on, "Wow, this feels really comfortable!". I particularly liked the wrap around rib protection - something I missed on my old CCM Premier 1 as it got beat down. The elastic on the backside of the P1 would get elongated, and as a result, the rib protection wouldn't really wrap around your ribs. I'd take shots and redirects to the ribs and armpit area and it felt like the puck would always find meat instead of foam. The Shield II has additional, removable padding in the ribs, held in place by three velcro straps, circled in red below. Very easy to remove, though I'm opting to keep it in. There's also a little bit of armpit/breast protection with the small gray foam just underneath the arms.

20181207_112155_HDR.thumb.jpg.aa18037a568be3544832e9f147e2ce46.jpg

The arms are very mobile out of the box. The entire time I've been typing this review and uploading these pictures, I've been wearing the unit. I can easily pick my nose and I have yet to even skate in it. The floaters are MUCH slimmer than the current CCM Premier line's and it is very noticeable when moving your arms and trying to seal your arms to your torso. I am a little worried that all the arm mobility I feel now means that the protection is lacking. Also, the arms are velcro'd in, as you can see below, with a similar system that they use for the rib protection. Will the nylon and velcro last? I guess, we'll see down the road. The wrist areas are made of mesh, and it is not the most comfortable material to have on your bare skin. If you wear long sleeve base layers, as I do, it may not be a problem, but with all the rubbing in that area, it could be a durability concern and a comfort concern for those who opt not to wear long sleeves.

20181207_112328_HDR.thumb.jpg.ba693a59693f3573eff5689c90639e5d.jpg

20181207_112312_HDR.thumb.jpg.aa36b63419b9195d29f19b87e37be700.jpg

Next, the torso. There is a chest plate made of D3O foam, which should give a bit of extra protection for a high traffic area. I've never used D3O, but CCM has been using it in a number of the equipment, including player protective, goalie catchers and blockers, chest and arms, even helmets and masks. I'm excited to see what it can do.

The shoulder floaters and chest height are easily adjustable with a similar velcro system to the CCM Premier line. I particular like how these shoulder floaters are cut inwards towards the body as they come down, whereas some other models have the shoulder floaters cut outwards as they come down, making them look and feel huge and cumbersome.

20181207_112255_HDR.thumb.jpg.4d93b9c78c7905185758317dea482dce.jpg

That's it for now, I'm tired of typing and editing photos.

Let me know if you have any questions.

An additional post will follow with my thoughts of the unit and its performance on ice.

Reserved for on-ice thoughts.

Well, it's been a couple months. I've used it in a handful of pick up games and league games.

It's... OK. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed.

The unit still isn't fully broken in yet, but is very mobile but not as protective as I would thought a unit marketed at the pro level would be. I like the torso protection and feel. I had some fit issues at first with the collar sitting high, but I dialed that in and no longer have any problems there. But, the arms!

I knew going into this that the arms would probably be a weak point. However, I've been taking shots of the arms that instead of making me think, "Hmm, I felt that", are making me say, "Ow, shit goddamnit, ow!"

I've recently started playing an Over 30 league and a lot of these guys can shoot pretty good. Shots to the torso and belly are fine - no problem there. The rebounds don't die in front of me as I was hoping the D3O foam would help with, but I'm okay with that. But shots to the arms can be painful. I last played on Tuesday, 4 days ago, and my forearm is still pretty tender from a puck. It's disappointing that I have maybe 10 skates in this and I'm already feeling pucks.

I'm thinking of moving this in the next couple months. The Bauer 2X is looking sharp...

I got to try one on today at the local shop and here is my impression:

The unit is light, I tried on a sr L, it fit perfectly for my torso length. Despite it being light and somewhat comfy, I did find it fairly thin everywhere. I expected some beefed up arms and belly but not so. The arms were very trimmed down from what I've used over the years, pretty mobile and flexible too for off the shelf, but one thing I think would be a negative is the arm length adjustment. I like the velcro option but given they used an elastic rather then a nylon strap, after a while with the stretching and heat and sweat, the elastic might give out slowly forcing you to readjust the length and eventually having to replace it altogether. This is why I always preferred the lace-in option.

The wings were non-intrusive and I was capable of bringing my hands together as I would in a gut trap save with zero issues. In comparison to the 2.9 Eflex first gen. I tried prior which I had to really force my hands closer together cause the wings wouldn't cooperate and the unit just felt Voltron all over the shoulder/chest area. I prefer mobility over size.

Would I buy the Eflex II? Not unless there was a pro-return and the price was a killer deal. That is just my opinion and don't make it the golden rule until you've had the chance to try one on.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:49 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Rarely do you see an inside shot of a C/A in a review. Cool to see. 

It’s a key feature, they’res multiple levels of padding to increase flexibility.

the green highlights the different levels around the chest 

FA5D4155-26C2-4DC0-B022-02B958F4D418.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 3:32 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Well, it's been a couple months. I've used it in a handful of pick up games and league games.

The unit still isn't fully broken in yet, but is very mobile but not as protective as I would thought a unit marketed at the pro level would be. I like the torso protection and feel. I had some fit issues at first with the collar sitting high, but I dialed that in and no longer have any problems there. But, the arms!

I knew going into this that the arms would probably be a weak point. However, I've been taking shots of the arms that instead of making me think, "Hmm, I felt that", are making me say, "Ow, shit goddamnit, ow!"

I've recently started playing an Over 30 league and a lot of these guys can shoot pretty good. Shots to the torso and belly are fine - no problem there. The rebounds don't die in front of me as I was hoping the D3O foam would help with, but I'm okay with that. But shots to the arms can be painful. I last played on Tuesday, 4 days ago, and my forearm is still pretty tender from a puck. It's disappointing that I have maybe 10 skates in this and I'm already feeling pucks.

I'm thinking of moving this in the next couple months. The Bauer 2X is looking sharp...

I had that same impression when I looked at it and tried in on in the store, without ice time. The issue I see with D3O is that it hardens upon impact, so that energy from the puck isn't dampened but rather transferred to the next layer, our limbs. I'm sure it has its good applications somewhere, but not for a chest pad.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Good write up and follow up 

I agree with you that the arms are the weak point on this. I have gotten a hand full of small stingers. No epic bruises or any real reason for panic. 

But... I get hit in the arm rarely and every few skates. I actually find it somewhat hard to get hit in the forearms because I’m usually moving my hands in those situations. So it hits my blocker or glove. 

It seems as though you are getting hit a lot there. If so, what types of plays and situations? 

For the bicep area, there’s actually a little pocket. It’s very easy to add a little extra foam. I 100% respect you shouldn’t have to mod your new “Pro” C&A, but I suggest that so you can easily improve your satisfaction with the unit 

Laslty, if you ask CCM, Bauer, Vaughn, etc they’ll tell tell you there’s a trade off between weight, mobility,  and protection 

The holy grail is a VE8 unit with all beef ups and double carbon. That will be like $800 USD maybe?

After that you need to look at going heavier to get true pro level protection so CCM Premier, Brown, Kenesky, or Passau 

unfortunately, I think there is just currently a trade off between mobility and padding at retail. If you look at the VE8 retail as the big competition, I think EF Sheild 2 is the best in its category... but I think brands will continue to invest heavily in this market segment and hopefully we see some better units with years to come

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

I had that same impression when I looked at it and tried in on in the store, without ice time. The issue I see with D3O is that it hardens upon impact, so that energy from the puck isn't dampened but rather transferred to the next layer, our limbs. I'm sure it has its good applications somewhere, but not for a chest pad.

You’re over thinking this. The entire D3O sheet doesn’t turn into a brick. There’s also belly padding behind the heart guard too. 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Good write up and follow up 

I agree with you that the arms are the weak point on this. I have gotten a hand full of small stingers. No epic bruises or any real reason for panic. 

But... I get hit in the arm rarely and every few skates. I actually find it somewhat hard to get hit in the forearms because I’m usually moving my hands in those situations. So it hits my blocker or glove. 

It seems as though you are getting hit a lot there. If so, what types of plays and situations?  

Close in second  (or third) chances/rebounds where I don't have time to activate my hands. And rockets in warm-ups, of course. 😂😭

16 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Close in second  (or third) chances/rebounds where I don't have time to activate my hands. And rockets in warm-ups, of course. 😂😭

Thanks for the info. Always sorta curious for more details when I hear the forearm concern 

Going to try the bicep pad mod?

I was disappointed with this unit too but for a different reason.  Looked and felt great in stores (took pants with to pair)  I thought the flexibility and the lightness was really good so i bought it, took it home and did a full suit up in the basement and could barely put my helmet on.  The way the shoulder floaters are on this I struggled to move anywhere near top of head.  

7 minutes ago, Almost Hip said:

I was disappointed with this unit too but for a different reason.  Looked and felt great in stores (took pants with to pair)  I thought the flexibility and the lightness was really good so i bought it, took it home and did a full suit up in the basement and could barely put my helmet on.  The way the shoulder floaters are on this I struggled to move anywhere near top of head.   

Have you tried really tightening the shoulder velcro adjustment? I have mine as far back as it can go so the shoulders sit as low and streamlined as possible.

1 minute ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Have you tried really tightening the shoulder velcro adjustment? I have mine as far back as it can go so the shoulders sit as low and streamlined as possible.

yes I tried every variable of adjustment and just wasn't satisfied.  I thought maybe the mobility of reach up there would break in eventually but  I also measured and the shoulders sat about 3/4" lower on my than my V4 unit.  The CCM's were very rounded and the Vaughn square and upright.

I have stuffed foam in spots on my V4 like TGN suggests and can attest for the most part they stay put just shoving them in there.  

On 12/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

The Bauer 2X is looking sharp...

That it is but...the Warrior Ritual (not GT) Pro C/A's only look weird until you try them on the ice. Plus they're super adjustable and until you get them dialed they're gonna feel weird. Once you take shots to the arms and the shock shield does it's stuff, you'll never look back. As for mobility, yes, this C/A looks like it has bricks for arms, but I can put my arms behind my back with ease. I can also do the weird thing where you put one arm over and one under to your back and try to touch your hands together. The arms on my Warrior or probably more mobile than my Intermediate Vaughn SLR I had not too long ago. Back protection's also pretty good.

Nice review!

• 1 month later...

I knew this unit had shitty arms the moment I tried it on. It IS comfortable, but I think the arm sling keeps the arms sitting right up against the padding, and because of that, takes away the bit of space between material and flesh for impact dispersion. It's a good concept that's poor in practice. Plus, the foams on this unit is WAY Too soft in certain areas (like the arms). I had zero confidence in it and didn't even need to hit the ice to find out. 

• 1 month later...

I have this chesty and have been using it for a while now.  I agree with many of your comments above .  I hope to do a follow-up video to my first impressions video in the coming weeks.  

Positives:

- Super light and mobile:  The CCM Extreme Flex Shield II allows for maximum arm movement and does not weigh you down.

- Coverage:  It's not the biggest chesty out there but it provides the perfect balance of size (good sized shoulders) and mobility.  The CCM Premier is just too massive and I don't want to look like a robot out there.  This chesty allows be to be a hybrid goalie that can both block shots and scramble.

- Chest Protection:  no problem taking direct hits to the chest in this chesty.  I only had one stinger that got that spot above my cup in that soft bottom flap area

- Elbow/Arm Joint Protection:  one reason I got this unit was to upgrade in this particular spot versus my Warrior chesty.  The elbow floaters are great and never had a stinger in that area.

- Fit and Customization: amazing fit whether you want it tight or loose.  Tons of strap customization.

Room for Improvement:

- Neck guard:  I'm still not pleased with the neck guard.  I have it working now but they should have lowered this more. Right now I just push it down and in and it works fine allowing me maximum movement of my mask.

- Forearm protection:  this area between my wrist and the elbow floaters is prone to getting the odd stinger.  I've been nailed here a couple times on the blocker side in particular.

- Bicep protection:  same as the forearms.  I've taken some blasts that just hurt.  I guess that is sometimes the price I have to pay for a lighter unit.  

In Summary:

I'm winning lots of games in this chesty and my movement has improved so I'm sticking with what works and if I get the odd stinger so be it.  

A few points here, this chesty is customizable so why not lower the neck area for it to sit more down?

I had BIG time issues with my belly area on the CCM Premier Pro getting big bruises under the D30 foam facing A/B shooters. I don't know if @TheGoalNet can speak further about that, type of shooters he's facing and how protective this unit is (can't see it being much differentthan the Premier). I got rid of mine and got a beefed up virsion which is totally worth it, a little heavier than the original but protective.  

22 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

I have this chesty and have been using it for a while now.  I agree with many of your comments above .  I hope to do a follow-up video to my first impressions video in the coming weeks.  

Positives:

- Super light and mobile:  The CCM Extreme Flex Shield II allows for maximum arm movement and does not weigh you down.

- Coverage:  It's not the biggest chesty out there but it provides the perfect balance of size (good sized shoulders) and mobility.  The CCM Premier is just too massive and I don't want to look like a robot out there.  This chesty allows be to be a hybrid goalie that can both block shots and scramble.

- Chest Protection:  no problem taking direct hits to the chest in this chesty.  I only had one stinger that got that spot above my cup in that soft bottom flap area

- Elbow/Arm Joint Protection:  one reason I got this unit was to upgrade in this particular spot versus my Warrior chesty.  The elbow floaters are great and never had a stinger in that area.

- Fit and Customization: amazing fit whether you want it tight or loose.  Tons of strap customization.

Room for Improvement:

- Neck guard:  I'm still not pleased with the neck guard.  I have it working now but they should have lowered this more. Right now I just push it down and in and it works fine allowing me maximum movement of my mask.

- Forearm protection:  this area between my wrist and the elbow floaters is prone to getting the odd stinger.  I've been nailed here a couple times on the blocker side in particular.

- Bicep protection:  same as the forearms.  I've taken some blasts that just hurt.  I guess that is sometimes the price I have to pay for a lighter unit.  

In Summary:

I'm winning lots of games in this chesty and my movement has improved so I'm sticking with what works and if I get the odd stinger so be it.  

Agree with all your thoughts listed above. I haven't found these arms to be a deal breaker, but if you want a tank or expect to never feel a shot, you will get a couple stingers

As for the neckline, have your tried to add a fighting strap? Do you wear your suspenders over the floaters? I have both of those going and that keeps everything tight to my shoulders.

• 6 months later...

Sorry I’m late to the party but I have a question...... I’ve always been in Reebok/ ccm chestys in my days of playing ( rbk pro spec, 11k and now my ccm premier 2nd gen). And all of them have some low density foam that sits right on your belly. I had to use a friends chest protector before that didn’t have that soft foam in there and every shot that I took in the belly area stung like crazy.... now I’ve never actually held one in my hands but it seems like this unit doesn’t have that soft foam padding in there. I guess my question is does this chesty give anybody stingers in the stomach or lower chest area? 

Archived