2S Pro Stick Durability

TheGoalNet

Would definitely be curious where and how any broke. I see someone like Trav4 breaking his sticks like a foot from the knob end and can just picture him flexing the hell out of it trying to throw sauce down the length of the ice all practice long. 

On the other hand, I had 2 TotalOne sticks break (after over a year each) in the same spot, a couple inches down from the top of the paddle. Realized that was from me using it as a crutch when I was sliding in the butterfly and getting up, so those were really on me. 

My 1S sticks have held up amazingly well considering I take a hard shot off the paddle almost every icetime. But I also don't really shoot the puck, I mostly make short passes if I handle the puck at all. So I'm not stressing the stick nearly as much that way. I'm sure some sticks are just defective, which is the reason for the warranty period even if it is short. 

Sorry, I saw the IG discourse and had to throw my 2 cents in. 

7 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

A decent amount have come back to my store within a warranty period. It really does come down to luck.

Personally I think it's a huge gamble with a heavy price tag. They certainly are the lightest but not worth $330.

Which of the pro level sticks come back the least during warranty period that you sell?

9 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Would definitely be curious where and how any broke. I see someone like Trav4 breaking his sticks like a foot from the knob end and can just picture him flexing the hell out of it trying to throw sauce down the length of the ice all practice long. 

On the other hand, I had 2 TotalOne sticks break (after over a year each) in the same spot, a couple inches down from the top of the paddle. Realized that was from me using it as a crutch when I was sliding in the butterfly and getting up, so those were really on me. 

My 1S sticks have held up amazingly well considering I take a hard shot off the paddle almost every icetime. But I also don't really shoot the puck, I mostly make short passes if I handle the puck at all. So I'm not stressing the stick nearly as much that way. I'm sure some sticks are just defective, which is the reason for the warranty period even if it is short. 

Sorry, I saw the IG discourse and had to throw my 2 cents in. 

Please, anytime

So LONG TERM may be up for debate... but I've been using 2S Pro for just over 3 months (since 09/23). 3+ skates a week for 14 weeks... so 42+ opportunities. I picked up two off of SidelineSwap below retail pricing and have only used 1... so it alone has seen all shots to date. I think it's important to note that I have been a foam core guy and had 3 brand new custom Passau sticks in the stable when I made this purchase. I had dipped my toe into the composite world moons ago with a Bauer that vibrated like a jackhammer and broke awfully fast. So I was skeptical of spending so much money on an experiment to say the least, but if I was going to experiment it might as well be with the one packed with tech and departures from tradition. Anyway... onto the durability review...

Self Inflicted:

Cracked just above the heel of the curve on a post. Initially was a dent which over time started to flake and open up. Typical of any composite. While it didn't affect play much... I did fill it in w/ the @bunnyman666 method of epoxy and graphite... and it has held up well.

image.thumb.png.892f3cf43c1f5c6125bcdd1a0e8bea72.png 

General Use:

The normal use & abuse has shown the 2S Pro to hold up well when compared to a foam core. Skate kick on the blade and post tap at the shaft are the most noticeable and both are cosmetic with neither affecting performance.

image.thumb.png.26a68113ddb0a23dc774d93db34ebe75.png image.thumb.png.d349637e4da2cde0c76d533e75161772.png  

The one area that has worn more than I expected was the Control Zone paddle grip. Discoloration to a reddish hue happened with just a few skates... but the wearing of the grip material entirely became more prevalent around skate 30 to 35. It still has enough to grip and as it has taken some time to wear so I didn't notice a significant difference in play but would likely feel it when I switch to stick #2. I hadn't been a huge fan grip on a paddle previously but found the Control Zone to be great. The stick isn't sliding out of my hand... nor is my hand stuck to it... which is especially important because I do find myself much more active with this stick vs. a foam core. It's so light it all but begs you to.

image.thumb.png.bec704ccc39c3126dfc4c21d083012a0.png   image.thumb.png.7d80b9f6d8e45ca51553564218113734.png

The downside of highlight reel saves; Crack:

Coming from the school of quiet is best... make the tough save look easy... I'm not one to be too big into highlight reel saves. Usually it means I'm making up for poor positioning, bad read, or something... but beer league being what it is I found myself making the 'ole reach back with the paddle to stop a wide open back door shot 2 weeks in a row. Both had a healthy dose of lumber behind them... but the well balanced featherweight 2S Pro helped me make the save...

Albeit at the expense of where the Ergo Spine attaches to the paddle. CRACK. I didn't notice it until after the second instance after the game so by no means has this made the stick unusable... in fact I've used it for at least another 5 skates since and it's been playing generally fine... but the crack does vibrate a little. I tried applying epoxy and graphite to this as well... and it flaked off in warm ups... just too little surface area to grip to overcome the flex of the stick where the crack is located.

image.thumb.png.bf6f58027198da91e2fa9d3271e7bc31.png   image.thumb.png.d32936e3d8ac47cd71107145e1ffffd3.png

Summary:

I can't go back to foam core... and I bought a BPM 150.

The 2S Pro has been fantastic and I'll continue to hunt for them... but I just find the $300 USD retail price tag too steep. Understandably I set the bar for durability with this stick pretty low... given it's trade off in performance and I have to say I've been very impressed with how it has held up. It's not going to be that Arturs Irbe use it for a decade piece of equipment... but it's also not intended to be. It's an F1 car... not the 10 year old go cart your neighbor took the speed governor off of. What simply cannot be overstated how light this stick is, and as a result I feel it's enabled me to be more aggressive with my stick and made me more mobile. Long term durability was the compromise to allow for that sort of performance.

In an effort to reduce wear and tear on the 2S Pro I tried to use one of my form cores in warm ups. After one trip around the arc... I went to the bench for the 2S Pro. The weight and balance difference between the two is astonishing and I am now solidly in the composite camp. 

Time will tell if I feel the same way about the BPM 150 or not. My scale puts it at just slightly under 5% heavier than the 2S Pro (680g BPM 150 vs. 648g 2S Pro for a 25",) but the price point is more sustainable as a repeat purchase.

Mine cracked on the backside in the thin area next to the Ergo Spine. 

Decently hard shot, I felt a bit of vibration in my hand upon impact.  Not sure why it cracked on the back when I redirected the shot off the heel. 

The carbon snapped back into place and it still has decent stiffness to it  I’m using it as my warmup stick now.

7617D771-6725-47C9-98DA-3F967C9E5562.thumb.jpeg.0caa58e45e6aaee855b91aef312366ec.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I got my Bauer 2s pro goalie stick 2 weeks ago and players crashed the net sending me and the stick back into the post so when the stick hit the post it caused a dent right in the thin part,I think this is why people have been saying it’s not very durable.Luckily,it’s still usable 

CD5E5BA0-37A7-4CF4-81C9-280B7629D257.jpeg

83FB2568-9F36-4E70-9C80-85565243CA55.jpeg

5382802A-7E3C-4B97-82EC-8ACBF53E881C.jpeg

While I don't like this stick in the sense that I feel it's a lot of money for what it is (compared to other pro level sticks for the same price range),  I feel in this case that it was just bad luck. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Archived