Bauer NME8 Upgrade--->Sportmask/Pro's Choice

We received some good news at work this week regarding a nice bonus, so I am set on upgrading my mask. 

My main two requirements are:

-upgrade from a Bauer NME8

-must have a wide center bar

I'm not necessarily wanting a top-of-the-line pro level mask and not necessarily wanting a custom mask.

I've got my eye on a Sportmask T3

image.png.fca9d44844bd75624f98598907a397ff.png

Or a Pro's Choice/Vaughn

image.png.73091d6f0828682e41db0b3d7117b8d2.png

I welcome your thoughts.  Thanks everyone.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, Md30 said:

Goalies Plus has a great price on the T3. I am intrigued by the Vaughn/Pros Choice as well, but I have seen a few pictures others have posted and the detail work looked rough for the price.

Yup.  One way or the other this is where I am looking to buy a mask.   Thanks!

On 1/9/2019 at 1:27 PM, jeff da goalie said:

Vaughn and Pros Choice are different masks.  If it has Vaughn on it, it's not a Pro's Choice unless you are playing in the NHL.  Pro's Choice is a custom mask, the Vaughn Pro is a retail mask, not made by Dom.

Hmm, ok, thanks.  I'll have to check.  The Vaughn/PC one they have listed is roughly $800 and I believe it may be custom. I'll have to confirm.

Any users of a T3 around here?

Just now, seagoal said:

Hmm, ok, thanks.  I'll have to check.  The Vaughn/PC one they have listed is roughly $800 and I believe it may be custom. I'll have to confirm.

Dom doesn't do custom for $800.  He's $2000.  Is it used?  If it's new, it's not Pro's Choice.  they're trying to conflate the two.  Vaughn has a Pro line that isn't used by Pros (well, at least not in the NHL).  Dom makes his using a mold of your head.  If you're not doing that, it's a Vaughn mask, not PC.  

I'm looking at the Goalies Plus website and they kind of fudge it.  "Custom pro styling by custom goalie mask manufacture Pro’s Choice. The shell is constructed with Carbon fiber and reinforced with additional layers of aramid fiber bonded and infused with Epoxy resin. The shell is compression molded under heat and is compressed from interior and exterior surfaces to provide added strength and even shell dimensions"

But then go look at the actual Pro's Choice website:  

http://progoaliemask.com/pcmask/

Every Pro’s Choice mask is hand made by Dom Malerba from the actual mold of the goaltenders face. Pro’s choice does NOT FOAM FIT a mask and we DO NOT press fit a mask with a one size fits all mold. No two Pro’s Choice masks are ever the same, the result of hand making each individual mask for proper fit. Each mask is custom made using Aramid fiber, graphite, fiberglass and epoxy resin. Pro’s Choice NEVER uses a hi-compression machine to press the layers together into a mold. 

So, I'm going with goaliesplus is fudging it here.  

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Pros choice custom masks are $1300 to $1400. The $800 mask is made in china and made to look like one of Pros Choice masks but made retail for Vaughn as Vaughns other retail masks are ugly.

thanks @jeff da goalie and @Snowman30  for the investigative details.

I'm not concerned with the Made in China bit at all or that it's not made by Dom, so I'm in the clear there.

I guess if that Vaughn mask is an upgrade from an NME 8 and it comes with that cage, it's still in the running for me.

Given the two choices, I"m still way swayed towards the Sportmask.   Oddly enough, I'm not thrilled about Vaughn on my forehead as my overall impression of Vaughn masks over the years is that of disgust and extreme dislike, aesthetically.  This one looks like Rask's PC, so that's better, but the word Vaughn on a mask still irks me.

I don't know that the Vaughn is a huge enough upgrade to justify the $800.

Have you considered other manufacturers like Protechsport, Coveted, or Otny?  The Sportmask is a good choice as well. 

The $800 for the Vaughn includes a huge upcharge for the name Vaughn.  I have two Protechsport (full fiberglass and full kevlar) and they're the best masks I've owned.  My Coveted is a close second.

My main point is, you're paying a lot for a name.  

30 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I've had 2 T3s. Solid protection. No issue with workmanship. If comparing to Chinese Vaughn - no comparison.

9 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't know that the Vaughn is a huge enough upgrade to justify the $800.

Have you considered other manufacturers like Protechsport, Coveted, or Otny?  The Sportmask is a good choice as well. 

The $800 for the Vaughn includes a huge upcharge for the name Vaughn.  I have two Protechsport (full fiberglass and full kevlar) and they're the best masks I've owned.  My Coveted is a close second.

My main point is, you're paying a lot for a name.  

I'm only considering masks with that cage.  Aesthetics are a huge factor for me and I really want that type of cage with the wide center bar and I'm currently only aware of Sportmask and PC offering them.  I'm open to others with that cage as an option, though. 

1 minute ago, goalie said:

I've had 2 T3s. Solid protection. No issue with workmanship. If comparing to Chinese Vaughn - no comparison.

Thanks.  What are you basing that on?  Have you used a Chinese Vaughn/PC mask too?

6 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I looked at the T3... @TGC-Rance talked me into a Pro 3, F Series.  I really love it and think its one of the best bang for buck masks on the market.

@Doobiesnax is getting ready to slap some paint on it!

is that a custom Sportmask?

I plan to get whatever I buy painted too, for sure.

Does everyone agree a Sportmask T3 is a significant upgrade from a Bauer NME8?

I generally avoid all things Vaughn, but that's especially true for their goofy shaped masks :)

TBH at this point I'd likely be going with Coveted if I was going that route, but honestly I'll probably stick to the NME series because I like the padding. 

BTW are you planning on keeping your NME8? ;) 

5 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I generally avoid all things Vaughn, but that's especially true for their goofy shaped masks :)

TBH at this point I'd likely be going with Coveted if I was going that route, but honestly I'll probably stick to the NME series because I like the padding. 

BTW are you planning on keeping your NME8? ;) 

No, I would sell it once my new mask arrives.  It's white, fit 3.

4 minutes ago, Big2 said:

seagoal - have you considered a Potechsport ?

Nope, because I am not aware that they offer the cage I want.

35 minutes ago, seagoal said:

is that a custom Sportmask?

I plan to get whatever I buy painted too, for sure.

Does everyone agree a Sportmask T3 is a significant upgrade from a Bauer NME8?

No, mine isn't custom.  Its the Pro 3, Quick model.  The F series is exclusive to the Crease

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm only considering masks with that cage.  Aesthetics are a huge factor for me and I really want that type of cage with the wide center bar and I'm currently only aware of Sportmask and PC offering them.  I'm open to others with that cage as an option, though. 

Thanks.  What are you basing that on?  Have you used a Chinese Vaughn/PC mask too?

common sense - the Chinese Vaughn is not PC, and my guess is it will not be a as good as T3

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Call Rance if you like... I think they're the only one.  And they were blowing out Sportmask stuff before Xmas...

I just contacted Rance, thanks for the referral. 

Looks like they are sold out of the Quick version, but they potentially have the Ward and the VX-5.  Sounds like the Ward is for smaller heads, also known as not-my-head.  I wear an XL hat and a Bauer Fit 3, so I need larger masks. 

I'll wait and see what he has in stock, for sure.  I'm totally willing to upgrade from the T3 if I can. 

At this point I am 99% sold on Sportmask, one way or the other.

@cwarnar

Hey , just wanted to say I had a few online conversations with Rance about sizes and materials and versions of Sportmask and he was really helpful and responsive.   Thanks again.

Unfortunately in my size for in-stock masks they only had an x8 and I would have had to order a newly made mask in my size with a 4-6 week wait.  I'm at the end of my rope for custom wait time right (thanks Vaughn) so I looked elsewhere. 

I found 1 T3 in my size/color in stock elsewhere so I went there instead.

I'm pretty excited about this upgrade and looking forward to getting it before my pickup game next week.

I'm now a Sportmask user :) First non-Bauer mask in my life.  Pretty excited.

Archived