Jump to content

CustomVaughn VE8 Custom Set


thebigm

Recommended Posts

Alright the time has come where I write about my Vaughn VE8 now that they have seen enough action for me to write about them!

Leg Pads (Mods)

  • No boot Strap
  • Pro Logos
  • Nylon back leg channel didn't want the velcro to catch the airknit
  • Stiffer for rebounds (layered the carbon fibre on the outside like the SLR) for bigger rebounds
  • SLR Toe Bridge

Alright these pads took me a while to figure the strapping out!  I ended up having to get rid of my Koho Swiss knee pads as I couldn't get them to work well with the pads so I am back in Factory Mad knee pads!  I basically removed the magnetic straps as I found the serve no purpose and removed the outer knee flap as I strap down.

 I switched the SLR toe bridge with a Nash one and punched an extra hole for an off-set boot strap.  Reason I removed the SLR toe bridge was I kept cutting my shock cord!  I have cut about 5 cords now and found the bridge to be the culprit!  The benefit as well with the Nash bridge my foot is a little bit closer to the ice when I am in the butterfly and even easier to push!

Now I like how I got it layered set up like the SLR as the rebounds go off of them pretty hard (which I wanted) similar to the Bauer and CCM Premier II!  They slide very well with the weave material (If you want an update on how they last unfortunately I won't own them long enough to know!) only thing I dislike is the boot is kind of deep and there is an outer and inner edge and I sometimes sits a little funny and I feels a little weird.  I wish it was flat like on the SLR!  I like the rotation strap (professor/scrivens strap) though I would have preferred the SLR version I thing its doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that you feed it through and would also be easier to but it on!  ( I am lazy putting gear on why I love my warrior pads)

Overall the pads are really nice just took me way longer to dial them in than said Warrior or CCM pads!

Glove (Mods)

  • Pro Palm
  • Black Skate lace pocket (wasn't an option on customizer)
  • Pro logos

I really regret not getting the one piece as it feels better than the two piece but I love how the glove closes!  I don't have any more pop outs and I can actually catch the puck better than my Warrior glove!

I modded the glove and refaced the outer portion to give me more room in my chesty and I think I am gonna mod it further by removing the air knit cuff as it's just in the way and I love the mobility of my warrior glove!

Protection is what you would expect have only gotten one stinger and it was on the tip of the finger other than that it's great!

Break in was easy. I did heat it at work before I went to go play and tied it up!  Two skates and I can easily close it no problem!

Blocker (Mods)

  • Pro logos
  • Carbon Fibre on top

The least modded piece of gear.  Carbon on top for bigger rebounds.  This actually was one of the first blockers that needed to be broken in the pillow was a little too thick and was hard to adjust the first couple times of use.  I had to loosen it up for the first 10 times then I put it a bit tighter afterwards.  One thing I wish they would stop doing is putting the plastic windows on the inside of the blocker!  First shot that hit it cracked the top one and it wasn't even a hard shot!  I cut it out and when I find some spare Black weave pad skinz I am going to cover them all up!

If you guys want other pictures let me know and if you have questions post them below or if you are interested in wanting to buy these let me know as I will have the for sale in the next couple of months or sooner!  Pm for price.

47918C83-DB6F-4EB5-B67B-15EE43B3FC38.jpeg

6E3B860D-8C5F-48F3-879B-386B6D3154EA.jpeg

6998078D-53A3-4136-84A0-63B585E110AE.jpeg

2A9B8E3D-7DEF-440E-B382-B0FD7DE911FE.jpeg

80404BCD-1A2C-48AF-A04E-530679C76007.jpeg

38E7927D-5004-4F18-B7D8-003025EF5E17.jpeg

5F06EF74-9A47-44AF-BBDE-47B04CAD173E.jpeg

0FCBBA02-FE1C-4F73-99CE-B9CD420EC0A2.jpeg

4938047D-722C-4F7E-B176-D200CA4AA2F4.jpeg

48DC9EE7-DEC7-410E-B90F-BDAC68597F52.jpeg

2F01329B-32D2-4204-9220-592EAB7B88E8.jpeg

B2AC266E-10AC-47A4-813D-95E4DE28DE3A.jpeg

4009CC67-D32D-4DDC-9A9A-468F52745292.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

love the color way, especially the black weave, and nice job on the mod with your glove, i might have to try this out.

i saw you point out you won't have the pads long enough to test the durability of the weave and i'm curious as to why that's the case.

I run our goalie department and I flip pads every 3-6 months to keep testing what’s new

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too have noticed the magnet straps on the calf are sorta pointless. They might keep the top and bottom of that segment from flopping a tiny little bit, if at all.

That said, I kinda like the way they look, they weigh nothing, and take a half second to use, so I've kept mine on...for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

I too have noticed the magnet straps on the calf are sorta pointless. They might keep the top and bottom of that segment from flopping a tiny little bit, if at all. 

That said, I kinda like the way they look, they weigh nothing, and take a half second to use, so I've kept mine on...for now. 

Some mag clip users have told me that if the pad is too loose, there isn't enough tension to keep the mag clips in, and they will actually detach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Some mag clip users have told me that if the pad is too loose, there isn't enough tension to keep the mag clips in, and they will actually detach.

Yep. That's true.

Tension is required to pull the peg back against the C shaped lock.

Not a huge deal because tightening those straps does just about nothing.

The main velcro strap is way more important to fit and feel behind the calf.

I saw one of those dangling on Rask's pad in warm ups a few weeks back  .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn those are hot. The weave with the "Bucky" is awesome. How do they compare to the warriors? (i.e. carbon vs hypercomp rebounds, torsional flex, leg channel feel, etc). Not entirely satisfied with my new GnetikIVs and want to hear opinions as I'm torn between the two.

Since you work at a SFS, I've always been curious if ordering the...primo material (I think they're calling it quick slide??) on the VE8s was an option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, seagoal said:

I too have noticed the magnet straps on the calf are sorta pointless. They might keep the top and bottom of that segment from flopping a tiny little bit, if at all.

That said, I kinda like the way they look, they weigh nothing, and take a half second to use, so I've kept mine on...for now.

They don't do much and the elastic they use seems cheep to me doesn't have much tension to it.  I turned it into a carrying strap for now.

15 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Damn those are hot. The weave with the "Bucky" is awesome. How do they compare to the warriors? (i.e. carbon vs hypercomp rebounds, torsional flex, leg channel feel, etc). Not entirely satisfied with my new GnetikIVs and want to hear opinions as I'm torn between the two.

Since you work at a SFS, I've always been curious if ordering the...primo material (I think they're calling it quick slide??) on the VE8s was an option. 

I honestly find the Vaughn pad slides a little better but that may be due to the weave.  Rebounds I say are a little more lively in the Vaughn as the carbon runs all the way though while the warrior is only on the upper half, torsional flex I find are equal.  Leg channel I will give to warrior way simpler and it works very well.  The block is always prefect for landing on and the pad rotates a little nicer than the Vaughn.  My issue with the Vaughn on this is the Professor strap can rotate and not sit 100% properly that's why I wish I went with the SLR one instead as it can't really rotate like this one.

I could have ordered the Quick Slide "Primo" if I waited till January for my pads but I didn't want to wait that long as I had to wait 12 weeks for these pads and they wanted to release it with the SLR2 pad.

Going forward now when the SLR is released you would be able to order the quick slide material with VE8

What is wrong with the Gnetik IV?  That is gonna be my next set once I move these pads out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, thebigm said:

They don't do much and the elastic they use seems cheep to me doesn't have much tension to it.  I turned it into a carrying strap for now.

I honestly find the Vaughn pad slides a little better but that may be due to the weave.  Rebounds I say are a little more lively in the Vaughn as the carbon runs all the way though while the warrior is only on the upper half, torsional flex I find are equal.  Leg channel I will give to warrior way simpler and it works very well.  The block is always prefect for landing on and the pad rotates a little nicer than the Vaughn.  My issue with the Vaughn on this is the Professor strap can rotate and not sit 100% properly that's why I wish I went with the SLR one instead as it can't really rotate like this one.

I could have ordered the Quick Slide "Primo" if I waited till January for my pads but I didn't want to wait that long as I had to wait 12 weeks for these pads and they wanted to release it with the SLR2 pad.

Going forward now when the SLR is released you would be able to order the quick slide material with VE8

What is wrong with the Gnetik IV?  That is gonna be my next set once I move these pads out.

Interesting, had weave sliding edges on my later Vaughn pads growing up so I have an idea of what you're getting at. Never tried Warriors on ice but I do know Optislide is a complete game changer once you get used to it. 

The GenIVs are honestly a great set of equipment. "Not entirely satisfied" was definitely a bit harsh, because I do really enjoy the set. Nothing's wrong with them, just has some things I don't really prefer. 


1) Not a fan of the Brian's flat boot, I feel like my pad will over rotate at times after recovering from a butterfly and I have to hit it with my stick to "correct" it. Now, I know this can be solved with a different toe tie/boot strap setup, but that's not something I can get comfortable with. Always loved the Vaughn deeper boot. I believe the VE8 is a bit shallower than previous models, but still deeper than Brian's. EDIT: Just re-read your post and it's funny that you're the opposite with this one 😛 

2) Their new Smart Strap configuration is a HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade over the Optik/Gen3 X-strap (and I think the first generation Smart Strap was better anyways), but it just simply isn't as good as Vaughn's PVE/SLR configuration which was by far my favourite strapping system. Loved the RRC and Brian's doesn't really have a strap that mimics it. 

3) The GenIV has lots of torsional flex to the pad but it still feels sorta boxy to me. I've gotten used to it from the Optiks, but not my complete pad preference.

4) The BOA kinda sucks. Can't really ever get my glove tight enough without compromising closure (I stuck with Optik as it has a 5500 sort of feel to it), and the same with blocker without it feeling loose. Should've ordered traditional with maybe the BOA on the glove wrist only. 

5) Blocker palm feels sort of "cheap" to me and definitely isn't as comfortable as a Vaughn blocker palm. This is a super small detail, but I'm super picky about palms.

I know these could pretty much all be solved in custom with Brian's, but I tried to keep things as close to stock as possible, whereas with Vaughn, I've had so many iterations of the Velocity, I know what I like and don't.

Wonder what the up-charge is on ordering Primo sliding surface. Knowing Vaughn it's probably decently substantial. Just a shame, as Vaughn is the only brand I can't get employee discount on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Interesting, had weave sliding edges on my later Vaughn pads growing up so I have an idea of what you're getting at. Never tried Warriors on ice but I do know Optislide is a complete game changer once you get used to it. 

The GenIVs are honestly a great set of equipment. "Not entirely satisfied" was definitely a bit harsh, because I do really enjoy the set. Nothing's wrong with them, just has some things I don't really prefer. 


1) Not a fan of the Brian's flat boot, I feel like my pad will over rotate at times after recovering from a butterfly and I have to hit it with my stick to "correct" it. Now, I know this can be solved with a different toe tie/boot strap setup, but that's not something I can get comfortable with. Always loved the Vaughn deeper boot. I believe the VE8 is a bit shallower than previous models, but still deeper than Brian's. EDIT: Just re-read your post and it's funny that you're the opposite with this one 😛 

2) Their new Smart Strap configuration is a HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade over the Optik/Gen3 X-strap (and I think the first generation Smart Strap was better anyways), but it just simply isn't as good as Vaughn's PVE/SLR configuration which was by far my favourite strapping system. Loved the RRC and Brian's doesn't really have a strap that mimics it. 

3) The GenIV has lots of torsional flex to the pad but it still feels sorta boxy to me. I've gotten used to it from the Optiks, but not my complete pad preference.

4) The BOA kinda sucks. Can't really ever get my glove tight enough without compromising closure (I stuck with Optik as it has a 5500 sort of feel to it), and the same with blocker without it feeling loose. Should've ordered traditional with maybe the BOA on the glove wrist only. 

5) Blocker palm feels sort of "cheap" to me and definitely isn't as comfortable as a Vaughn blocker palm. This is a super small detail, but I'm super picky about palms.

I know these could pretty much all be solved in custom with Brian's, but I tried to keep things as close to stock as possible, whereas with Vaughn, I've had so many iterations of the Velocity, I know what I like and don't.


Wonder what the up-charge is on ordering Primo sliding surface. Knowing Vaughn it's probably decently substantial. Just a shame, as Vaughn is the only brand I can't get employee discount on.

 

Shouldn’t be an upcharge. I got an employee discount but definitely not as good as what I get for ccm Bauer and warrior

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thebigm said:

Shouldn’t be an upcharge. I got an employee discount but definitely not as good as what I get for ccm Bauer and warrior

Surprising considering they charge $60 for pad embroidery and $10 for a glove INT palm on my last set 😛. And yeah, I can only get discounts from CCM/Bauer/Warrior but I don't like CCM/Bauer and I've never tried a warrior before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Surprising considering they charge $60 for pad embroidery and $10 for a glove INT palm on my last set 😛. And yeah, I can only get discounts from CCM/Bauer/Warrior but I don't like CCM/Bauer and I've never tried a warrior before. 

Buy mine in the used for sale thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, Aquilzz said:

...
4) The BOA kinda sucks. Can't really ever get my glove tight enough without compromising closure (I stuck with Optik as it has a 5500 sort of feel to it), and the same with blocker without it feeling loose. Should've ordered traditional with maybe the BOA on the glove wrist only.
...

What?!!?  I didn't get this feeling whatsoever when I tried on the Optik glove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

What?!!?  I didn't get this feeling whatsoever when I tried on the Optik glove.

Optik would be the closest stock Brians glove, that’s not saying it’s close... but it’s a fair statement. 

The closest custom to 5500 is Darling Spec 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,971
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    degoalie
    Newest Member
    degoalie
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...