Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon Set

Nick avelallemant

Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon 

IMG_1673.thumb.JPG.65e24fd6e7a039f4893bb2a3ecedead3.JPG

I had the opportunity to demo a full set of Vaughn SLR pads that were lent to my school. Although other pads might technically weigh in lighter, the Vaughn SLR pads are, in my opinion, as light as a set of pads needs to be. They are the lightest pads I have ever held or worn.  

IMG_1676.thumb.JPG.ba2244f2ccca5ad9465190a97463e6ed.JPG

Vaughn was a pioneer in moving away from leather straps with the nylon straps on the Velocity line. However, those straps never fully caught on. Brian’s release of the Smart Strap really was a turning point for industry and everyone has since transitioned away from leather straps.   The new strapping system on the SLR is very simple and the goalie is easily able to adjust to toward a preference of loose or a tight fit. Like the "CRS" system for the 1s pads, the SLR's have the fit lock system with the Rotation Control System. This allows the pad to move with your leg and also rotate perfectly into the butterfly. The pads slide like butter on the ice.

IMG_1678.thumb.JPG.3aabf31e5d76d55b546092d8c83dcbc4.JPG

One of the biggest trends over the last 3-4 years has been engineering a rebound control style into the pads. This started was the Reebok XLT and was taken to a new level with the Bauer 1S. The front face of the pad is hard and feels like the CCM Premier pads to me.  These really allow you to really kick those rebounds out to the corner and away from the play.    

IMG_1681.thumb.JPG.e0d0e556a19e98e8a5c2e28a68258fbe.JPG

The glove came with a game ready palm. Out of the box, I found it very easy to open and close. No stingers at all yet, which all goalies can appreciate. The break on the gloves should be similar to a 600 degree. Oddly enough in wearing it, I didn’t find the glove to feel all that different from my 590 break. The one big difference between this glove most everything else on the market like, CCM, Brian’s, Warrior, or Bauer is that the glove maintains a traditional two price cuff and lacing on the thumb.  Everyone else has gone to a one piece cuff and bindingless thumb. Vaughn offers the more modern amenities  on the V7 XR.

IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.30888b9fb28bcbba3274d3aff422e2a4.JPG

The blocker is very nice. The front face of the blocker is hard, and simple to deflect pucks into the corner. The blocker has a very nice finger protection to keep pucks from hitting your fingers. The side wall of the blocker is very protective and insures for no stingers, the blockers are also bindidngless which, in my opinion, looks sharp. 

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.d661965f0bdd30801655e6cf85c83548.JPG

Compared to my old pads, CCM Premier, the Vaughn SLR pads fees like it has really helped improve my game. The weight of the pad allows me to get across the crease quicker. The rebounds appear bigger than my Premiers also. That helps me control the pucks to the corner better.

IMG_1675.thumb.JPG.730c00c8e60fdb19fd3a9e0a315d0acb.JPG

If I could change anything about the SLR pads, I would add some leather straps to the pad. Coming from my old pads, CCM premier, I would really recommend these pads to anyone who likes a butterfly style pad and a light weight pad. I have no complaints about these pads.

Nick did you demo the set or do you own them?

You should also change your heading to SLR Pro Carbon which I believe is what you are referencing. I am trying to get a demo set up for my son as they have kreeped up in his radar in the last couple of weeks. 

Nice have been looking for a review on these for the last couple weeks!

1 hour ago, Ghostender said:

OK - perhaps I missed it but it appears Nick is new to this site - does he have an association with Vaughn in some way?

He's a pad owner 

I requested a review and was gracious enough to help out 

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

Nick did you demo the set or do you own them?

You should also change your heading to SLR Pro Carbon which I believe is what you are referencing. I am trying to get a demo set up for my son as they have kreeped up in his radar in the last couple of weeks. 

Nice have been looking for a review on these for the last couple weeks!

@Big2 these are demo pads that vaughn gave to my school to try out 

How do you find the rotation of the pads?

I tried them on in the store with some skates and found that they rotated great into the butterfly, but seemed to stay rotated once I got back up to my feet.  Any issues like this with yourself?

I should have put my review up as I have had my own custom set of this gear since Feb.  I have way more information and pics than than this.  Oh well.  I kind of waited on this because I wasn't sure if the site was going to keep rollling but it looks like things are good.  Maybe next time.  

Apologies, folks.  

6 minutes ago, Gasman said:

I should have put my review up as I have had my own custom set of this gear since Feb.  I have way more information and pics than than this.  Oh well.  I kind of waited on this because I wasn't sure if the site was going to keep rollling but it looks like things are good.  Maybe next time.  

Apologies, folks.  

@Gasman - Would you still be open to writing one? 

I can wait to promote everything on social media until we have your review. That way we could give everyone a couple different points of view. Given your long history with Vaughn and excellent reviews, your additional voice would be awesome! 

Let me know if you're able to write something. Feel free to DM me or email me if it makes sense to take this offline. Thegoalnet@thegoalnet.com 

On 6/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, Gasman said:

Apologies, folks.  

Post that shit up!!!  Your reviews are one of the things I miss most about the GSBB.

14 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Eff that.  Burn this motherfucker to the ground! lol

Our civil rights are being usurped by no Gasman reviews!!!!

What store do we loot first? I need a new TV and some hair extensions.*

:P

* not advocating real rioting or looting 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Our civil rights are being usurped by no Gasman reviews!!!!

What store do we loot first? I need a new TV and some hair extensions.*

:P

* not advocating real rioting or looting 

Maybe we should jack an old @Gasman velo review and post it as a #tbt - The kids can at least appreciate what they are missing then

Archived