Help with pricing?

Lucky Pucker

Got some new pads on order, and thinking about what I’m going to do with the old ones. I already have a wallet, so I might sell my pads. Wondering if you folks might be able to help with what price I should be asking (if I do decide to sell them). I’m in Canada, and I am not interested in shipping them (sorry Amerigoalies)

They are Bauer Reactor 9000s, 34”+1. I bought them “new” surplus stock in 2018, and used them about twice a week for a year. As noted previously, I play a “resale value-focused” style, so there are no tears, no wear, and some of the puck marks are really hand-drawn with marker.

here is a pic (is this how the kids set them up nowadays...?)

Wassat you say? OUTER rolls? Oh! Lol!

Any guesses at what I can get/ask?

70E29471-4DCB-4134-A153-AFD37C20775C.jpeg

115F0E17-8832-43E1-B5A3-D021733A9850.jpeg

CEA9E113-E1E1-4016-93BC-3C42AE649FF6.jpeg

Some places still have new stock they're trying to sell for 800-1000 USD. 

You could possibly price these at $700 and maybe get a hit. I'd be more. Conservative and put them in the $500-600 range (CAD). Theyre in great shape, but aside from a guy looking for a small upgrade or a newer goalie, I don't think the market for an "older" styled pad is really out there. 

You can look on sideline swap to get an idea for pricing. It shows recently sold stuff as well, but I'm not sure if they're the final sale prices or not https://sidelineswap.com/shop/hockey/goalie-leg-pads/bauer/reactor-9000-6/l8107?recently_sold=1

Not to be a downer but you'd probably make more turning them into wallets ;)

I'd guess $300 bucks if you're lucky. I sold a set of subzero 2 pads earlier this year for 325 I think and they had cool vegan elastic straps

Might not be a bad idea to use sideline swap or something gives you a much larger market. I personally still use craigslist, but it can take awhile to sell stuff even in a decent hockey market

$250-300 max...sold a JRZ pro return set of Reactors made for Roloson last year and got $300. They were used slightly more than your pads but were a custom made pro set with matching gloves. Resale market is pretty soft for gear from 6-7 years back regardless of condition. 

On 8/27/2019 at 3:59 AM, Doc1200 said:

$250-300 max...sold a JRZ pro return set of Reactors made for Roloson last year and got $300. They were used slightly more than your pads but were a custom made pro set with matching gloves. Resale market is pretty soft for gear from 6-7 years back regardless of condition. 

Point taken on the resale market in general, but to be fair, I believe the Reactor 9000s came in out in 2015, so a bit short of "6-7 years" ;)

On 8/27/2019 at 9:07 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Thanks for pulling these out, Coop. I had looked at these off-and-on for a few months now - but that white hafner pair with the broken clip at the thigh, man - he's been trying to sell those for several months!

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, jayluv54 said:

I would say about $400 USD would be reasonable for the condition.  There is a little bit of a cult following out there for the Reactors...they are still a great pad.  

They are indeed a great pad; my primary issue and reason for replacing is that I incorrectly sized myself to take advantage of a sale price. But to have been able to start playing goal in (to all intents and purposes) a pro-level pad was quite a privilege.

It's a bit weird though, because I can't find very many examples out there for re-sale (like Coop pulled down, there are currently 3 pairs on Sideline). So is this because:

A) They are very well liked, and reasonably durable, which has lead a majority of owners to hang on to them

B) They are NOT good enough to even bother re-selling, and not many people like them

C) They never really took off when released, and not many were sold in the first place

49 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Mostly B/C.

The reactor series wasn't a hot seller at the time, so there won't be too many sets still out there.

I always saw them as Velocity rip offs and I think others did too.

Fair enough. I certainly wasn't (faking it as) a gear-buying goaler guy back then, so appreciate the background on release/reception.

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

They are indeed a great pad; my primary issue and reason for replacing is that I incorrectly sized myself to take advantage of a sale price. But to have been able to start playing goal in (to all intents and purposes) a pro-level pad was quite a privilege.

It's a bit weird though, because I can't find very many examples out there for re-sale (like Coop pulled down, there are currently 3 pairs on Sideline). So is this because:

A) They are very well liked, and reasonably durable, which has lead a majority of owners to hang on to them

B) They are NOT good enough to even bother re-selling, and not many people like them

C) They never really took off when released, and not many were sold in the first place

I think the issue with the 9000's was timing.  Bauer was already well into the OD1N project at that point and gear was changing rapidly.  The 9000's weren't going to entice the Bauer faithful at that point because everyone was waiting for the 1S to hit and certainly weren't going to steal any Velocity users.  It was really just the end of the line for Bauer's traditional JRZ gear.

Still one of my all time favorite "soft" pads though(I liked them better than the Velocity line).  The blocker was awesome and is still carried over to this day, but I thought the catcher was awful...at least compared to the supreme line.

My advice is list them high, if its 600 or 700, price will always go down once someone is interested...but don't price them too high or else you're in trouble. There is alot of used gear out there it could take you a long time to sell. Or just list if for 400 if you desperately want to get rid of them. 

23 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I think the issue with the 9000's was timing.  Bauer was already well into the OD1N project at that point and gear was changing rapidly.  The 9000's weren't going to entice the Bauer faithful at that point because everyone was waiting for the 1S to hit and certainly weren't going to steal any Velocity users.  It was really just the end of the line for Bauer's traditional JRZ gear.

Still one of my all time favorite "soft" pads though(I liked them better than the Velocity line).  The blocker was awesome and is still carried over to this day, but I thought the catcher was awful...at least compared to the supreme line.

Ah! That was critical context I didn’t have; makes things clearer for me. And yeah, having started this goalering gig at 39, a soft pad was undoubtedly the way to go for me. Like I said, great for starting me off; I was pretty lucky!

Archived