Pre ice warm up

Doc1200

Hey guys, 

looking to change up my pre ice warm up and was wondering what you do before you hit the ice for a game? I’ve been going with a basic dynamic stretch routine for years. I wondered if there was a better way to warm up since in my leagues we only get 5 minutes max on the ice before a game starts and I always feel that it not 100% warmed up after just a few minutes on the ice. Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Doc1200 said:

Hey guys, 

looking to change up my pre ice warm up and was wondering what you do before you hit the ice for a game? I’ve been going with a basic dynamic stretch routine for years. I wondered if there was a better way to warm up since in my leagues we only get 5 minutes max on the ice before a game starts and I always feel that it not 100% warmed up after just a few minutes on the ice. Thanks! 

Tennis/racquet balls with some hand juggling or bouncing of the walls is a good way to get your eyes focused, get the hands and feet moving, get the heart pumping.

You could do them standing or down on your knees dressed waist down, like Mr. Holtby does.  There are many videos of him in this position with tennis balls.

image.thumb.png.5282ca459254a34c653bcba5d890637c.png

Jumping jacks, lunges, etc. to get blood pumping through the legs. Basically Maria Mountain's dynamic warmup routine. I also bounce a tennis ball off the glass and catch it with my glove. I find that if I do tennis ball warmups without my glove, I have trouble catching the puck in the pocket during the game so I warm up with my glove to get used to catching with the pocket. I also do some eye warmups by trying to focus rapidly between things far away and up close, and also on two different sides of my field of vision.Plus some pre-game vape rips.

Sounds like you've already done this somewhat, but I'd double down on trying to decouple your on-ice stuff from your mental prep.  I'd kill for 5 minutes of beer league warmup :P, we get 2 at best, depending on when the Refs decide they want to start.  The fewer things you have to check off on the ice, the less dependent you are on that short, often random, series of events that make up a beer league warmup.

In terms of the pre-ice stuff, like others have mentioned, Maria Mountain is great for dynamic warmups.  It's good to keep your dynamic routine from getting too static, even Maria's pre-game warmup has evolved over just the last few years.

3 hours ago, Doc1200 said:

2 minutes is insane! I’m never complaining about a 5 minute warm up again. Thanks for the ideas fellas, took a look at some of Maria’s videos and will change things up. 

Now what if I were to tell you it's actually a 12 minute first period, and the clock doesn't stop after the first 2 minutes so the longer it takes to get set to play, the shorter your first period is? Haha. Other than that quirk the league is pretty good at least. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:58 PM, Mroy31 said:

Now what if I were to tell you it's actually a 12 minute first period, and the clock doesn't stop after the first 2 minutes so the longer it takes to get set to play, the shorter your first period is? Haha. Other than that quirk the league is pretty good at least. 

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You're not wrong.  3 stopped time periods, 10-10-12, so it's not like it's some wild set of league rules that's just par for the course.  Just hit the buzzer after 2 minutes and get set up, it's not rocket surgery.

Archived