S

bunnyman666

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

After hearing the announcement that the Partial Hockey (soon to be Diluted Hockey) near where I play is going to discontinue sharpening for goalie skates in October,  I have decided to get a Sparx. I have done the research, and this is the most affordable and dummy-proof option, plus I could make some money, as well offering sharpening to others.

Anyone here have on or at least had skates sharpened with one?

I was hoping you finally got a sewing machine / lessons or were getting into the mask business :ugh:

43 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

...Yeah- sharpening is going to be that much harder to come by, which is why I am buying a sharpener.

I hear you: Used to be where I am there were at least a half dozen or so sports stores that would sharpen and as may guys, with machines they bought used, doing the same (and most of the basement guys were good at what they did).

Around these parts now, there is one store ("Source for Sports") and a I believe 2 really expensive privateers (one of which never returns call anyway - I suspect because he has a contract to the local Jr. A team) doing the biz. My own experience with the local SFS is pretty hit and miss for their quality of sharpenings.

One prerequisite I had when when I bought my (used) skates was that the blades were easily removed/replaced to allow new steels down the road (there were a lot of skates out there at that time that were in the used bin because they were sharpened down to the plastic holder and were integral to the holder). I can now imagine a day coming where I may have to have rotate between two or three sets in order to facilitate mail-order sharpening.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am surprised that a bloke like you doesn't buy one of these machines. Don't you have to get a lot of sharpenings for your son?

I know it would have had my name all over it if Mrs. bunnyman and I would have had a litter and they all played hockey! 

Bunnyman I have seriously thought about it - but I use a world class sharpening location who specialize in figure skates and would not want to take a chance in moving away from this quality of service and not be able to reproduce!

On 8/15/2017 at 5:20 AM, Big2 said:

Bunnyman I have seriously thought about it - but I use a world class sharpening location who specialize in figure skates and would not want to take a chance in moving away from this quality of service and not be able to reproduce!

On 8/14/2017 at 9:04 AM, bunnyman666 said:

After hearing the announcement that the Partial Hockey (soon to be Diluted Hockey) near where I play is going to discontinue sharpening for goalie skates in October,  I have decided to get a Sparx. I have done the research, and this is the most affordable and dummy-proof option, plus I could make some money, as well offering sharpening to others.

Anyone here have on or at least had skates sharpened with one?

I don't understand why they wouldn't sharpen your skates just because they're goalie skates.  That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  They're struggling to make enough money to maintain the store they have but yet here they are turning away business?? :myhead:

On 8/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't understand why they wouldn't sharpen your skates just because they're goalie skates.  That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  They're struggling to make enough money to maintain the store they have but yet here they are turning away business?? :myhead:

23 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Nothing to do with Bunny's new occupation, but he's sooooo right about Diluted Hockey (very clever, Bun). Locally, goalie equipment is now available only at a handful of stores, not all.

Does this have to do with buying new jigs to accommodate the cowling skates and 3mm runners?

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

No. The 3mm runners can be popped out of the holders (Bauer). I was told it was because they are only doing player stuff in the Diluted Hockey locations.

I watched them pop them off at Total Hockey for a sharpening and it was a giant cluster 

I've used No Icing for my player skates since I get them profiled and the local shops here just can't seem to get that right.  My goalie skates on the other hand remain stock with a straight 1/2" cut, so I've never felt the need to send them out.  

But I just rotate out 2 sets of blades and I always have a freshly sharpened pair that way.  It costs a little extra for shipping back and forth, but worth it for solid consistent sharpenings.  I know some people don't like them, but I've had good luck.

Archived