Cutting Goalie Sticks

A.YOUNGoalie13

It's a myth.

When you order a custom stick, you can choose the overall length of the stick. Nothing special is done for that, the process is the same, no counterweight or anything. 

Cut a old stick if you have one, weighs the chopped off part. The weigth is minimal, some grams. You add about the same weigth or more when you tape your stick.

I cut my sticks since I play hockey, I never saw any difference in the balance before and after. It's really just a myth.

The balance will CHANGE.   Whether it's off or not is a personal thing.  I will say I've trimmed 3" off the shaft several models of stick including a Bauer NXG, Warrior V1 Pro+ and CCM EF4 and vastly preferred how all 3 felt. 

With a sharp jigsaw and good clamps you can also modify the shape of your paddle.   Having done this to my CCM and Warrior sticks I found that the Warrior's have foam higher up in the paddle, where the CCM are hollow.   I wonder if the extra foam = Vibex?  I did experiment with filling the cavity of the CCM with foam and covering it with a mixture of 2-part epoxy and graphite powder (thanks for the tip @bunnyman666).  Following that I added more foam over the newly shaped shoulders of my stick and added grip tape to cover it.  The idea was to see if I could further reduce the vibrations that some find objectionable with composite sticks.   Unfortunately, before I could complete my experiment I injured my knee, so at this point satisfying my curiosity on this front is pending the outcome of an MRI tomorrow.

IMG_20200201_224509.jpg

IMG_20200201_224911.jpg

IMG_20200201_225443.jpg

IMG_20200202_145350.jpg

4 hours ago, Sebx said:

It's a myth.

When you order a custom stick, you can choose the overall length of the stick. Nothing special is done for that, the process is the same, no counterweight or anything. 

Cut a old stick if you have one, weighs the chopped off part. The weigth is minimal, some grams. You add about the same weigth or more when you tape your stick.

I cut my sticks since I play hockey, I never saw any difference in the balance before and after. It's really just a myth.

Sorry - but not a myth. If you cut your stick you DO change the balance, specifically by changing the centre of gravity or centre of mass - this is a fact of physics.

The theory of adding tape to make up the difference is misleading in that if you are going to do a fair comparison, you need to check the balance point before and after with the butt end in the same condition, either taped or untaped and, if taped , the exact same amount of tape before and after in the exact same location on the butt end. The fact you say adding tape makes up the difference proves the centre of mass does shift and so you re-balance by adding tape. If you want to prove any of this, take a stick, remove the tape on the butt end, check it's balance point by balancing on a pencil or small diameter dowel, mark the balance point, cut say 3 inches of and recheck the balance point - you will see it will have moved (down) a very small amount.

The truth of the matter is cutting off say 3 inches will only make a very small change in the balance point, probably so small you wouldn't notice the difference depending on the stick and things like how much tape you use on your blade

Colander

You don't understand what I said.

You can order a stick with a paddle of 24 and a shaft of 27

You can order a stick with a paddle of 24 and a shaft of 24.

The balance will be different for sure between the 2 but the difference is so minimal that you will not see the difference in your hand. 

Cut 3 inch of your 27 inch shaft and you will have the same balance than the custom stick with a 24 inch shaft. Cutting a goalie stick is not a problem. 

And for the tape, if it's not a problem to add 5gr weight with tape, why it's a problem to remove 5gr of wood/foam ?

You are essentially repeating everything I said.I was objecting to your first comment - that it is a myth. Specifically per the OP's question, if you cut something off a stick the balance point changes, Whether that balance point is close to some different stick after cutting, or whether you can restore the exact same balance point with tape or fish weights or whatever, is not what the OP was specifically asking.

the length is not the problem it is cutting it the shaft or the paddle the connection point is weaken as well as the flex point which no one mentioned.

shorter shaft when cut = less flex, also taping post will also be off

shorter cut paddle when shaved to the shaft weakens the connection point.

having a existing short paddle  and shaft length direct from factory with no modification is differenct because of the connection between shaft and paddle   structurally fitted.

back in the foam core days some sticks have the shaft all the way down the paddle to the heel with a taper  and other only do it for the top part or 6-8" or so.

It's also worth remembering that the point of balance on your stick is affected more by the length of stick you remove than by the weight.

Weight savings will always be minimal when you cut your shaft down, but if you shorten it up by five or six inches the point of balance will shift quite dramatically. And, if you want to shift the point of balance back to where it was, you need to add significantly more weight than you removed in order to do so (which could be not much weight at all, if you're using a composite stick, but still).

And modifications to the paddle can be... hairy. They won't change the point of balance much, if at all, but you'll almost always end up weakening the stick at the point where you make your modifications.

All said and done, if you want a shorter stick you're probably better off buying a shorter stick; and if you want a hinky paddle mod, be aware that your stick is going to be weaker at the point of modification than it otherwise would be.

10 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

And modifications to the paddle can be... hairy. They won't change the point of balance much, if at all, but you'll almost always end up weakening the stick at the point where you make your modifications.

All said and done, if you want a shorter stick you're probably better off buying a shorter stick; and if you want a hinky paddle mod, be aware that your stick is going to be weaker at the point of modification than it otherwise would be.

Those were my big concerns regarding changing my paddle shape.  However, I've been absolutely stunned at how durable the first two sticks I cut down were, so I had absolutely zero qualms about moving to a more rounded shoulder shape on my next 2.   I get and agree with what you're saying, and DID order my next set of sticks shorter to avoid removing any of the outer material, but based on my experience modding the paddle isn't an instant kiss of death.

Archived