G4 Sr. Sizing

frankie

Hey folks,

Getting back into hockey after a three-year hiatus. Before I left, I was skinny, full of life, and had an office in our house. I'm now fatter, constantly tired, and my office is now a bedroom, but I've got two awesome little boys to make up for it. :) I've also got a new set of Ritual G4 Classics, and I have a question about fit. I'm coming off a set of Reebok Premier Pro II's that are about 10 years old, and I know a lot's changed, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. (Worth noting that my Reeboks fit very badly — they were 34", and my knee was at the very bottom of the stacks.)

I'm 5'9". If I'm using the Warrior sizing guide correctly, my floor-to-knee is 19". I bought the 32" model, which on the carpet usually has me landing from the middle to the top of the block. Clearly a huge shift from my Reeboks, and I think my uncertainty about fit is mostly due to how badly my previous set fit, but I want to make sure before I take the tags off.

I feel like my knee is hitting a little high in the block, but it really depends on how the pad is oriented on my boot. In general, I feel like the pad sort of sags down my boot a little more than I'd like, and if I just leave them like that, my knee lands on the higher side (but definitely not over). If I yank em up a half inch on the boot, my knee lands right in the middle.

When I sit down, the stacks are, like, WAY below my knee. I know this isn't a playing position, but my Reeboks were a lot closer to my knee when sitting. I assume the Reeboks were wrong and these are right. Thoughts?

1. Is this pad too short for me? Should I be at 33"?
  2. If it's the right size, how can I get the boot to sit higher?
  3. The pad also isn't rotating back to neutral naturally. What am I doing wrong?

Photos attached to show fit.

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

3 minutes ago, DL42 said:

should be 32" if u measure correctly ftk at 19".  What size skate u wear? if 10 or larger then go 33" , u can always have the pad drop a little bit by loosing the boot strap.

Skates are size 8. Actually tightening the boot strap seems like it'd be a pretty good way of getting the pad to sit higher. I'll try that.

4 minutes ago, frankie said:

Skates are size 8. Actually tightening the boot strap seems like it'd be a pretty good way of getting the pad to sit higher. I'll try that.

I was having a similar issue with my G3s; after feeding the elastic bootstrap behind my ankle (through the Lundy loop on my skate) the issue was solved.

6 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I was having a similar issue with my G3s; after feeding the elastic bootstrap behind my ankle (through the Lundy loop on my skate) the issue was solved.

Hmm interesting. I'm still rocking some old skates. When stores are open again, I'm going to get fitted for some new Bauers. I assume most (all?) skates nowadays have the Lundy loop?

5 minutes ago, frankie said:

Hmm interesting. I'm still rocking some old skates. When stores are open again, I'm going to get fitted for some new Bauers. I assume most (all?) skates nowadays have the Lundy loop?

Pretty much. It's not really something you can mod into your skates, some goalies like to use them, and there's no drawbacks to having them there if you don't want to use them, so they're the default for most skates.

6 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I've worn my G2 elastic around the back of the ankle of my old Bauer One60's with no Lundy loop with no issue.  Works fine and as intended.  I'm 5'6" and my G2's are 32+1.5 Sr.  Not sure if sizing changed between G2 and G3. 

What’s your ftk, and where does your knee land?

9 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Pretty much. It's not really something you can mod into your skates, some goalies like to use them, and there's no drawbacks to having them there if you don't want to use them, so they're the default for most skates.

u dont need a loop just throw it behind the skate with no loop no difference

I wore a 34 CCM pad and i wear a 36 g4 and land dead center on both as far as sizing goes if that helps. Warrior tends to run a bit smaller in the knee.

if you want them to sit higher, use the lundy loop, and making the straps looser. this will allow the pad to sit a little higher because its a little more free on your leg. 

as for the rotation issues, try loosening the strapping. the g4s are meant to be worn looser

10 minutes ago, Max27 said:

I wore a 34 CCM pad and i wear a 36 g4 and land dead center on both as far as sizing goes if that helps. Warrior tends to run a bit smaller in the knee.

if you want them to sit higher, use the lundy loop, and making the straps looser. this will allow the pad to sit a little higher because its a little more free on your leg. 

as for the rotation issues, try loosening the strapping. the g4s are meant to be worn looser

How do you loosen the straps? Just do the velcro less, or is there something inside that I can change?

Yeah, my knee was centered on the knee stack when I first got them, but they are more towards the top now that the boot has sunk where it sits on top of my skate.  My short term fix was to duct tape some foam to make a poor mans boot riser.  I may eventually make something out of jenpro or PAW makes some Warrior specific boot risers that are not listed on their website, but she'll send you pics and info if you email them. 

20200107_195559.jpg

Won't measuring from the front of the knee to the floor require you to wrap the tape down the left or right side of the foot, increasing the length or is that taken into account?  Because if I do it the way you say it, it is definitely 20 inches instead of 19, putting me in a 33 or 34 inch.  Looks like I measured it per the Warrior chart below.  Screenshot_2020-03-28-11-22-50.thumb.png.e376f1055b56aea9388bf5f253f251d9.png

On 3/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

Won't measuring from the front of the knee to the floor require you to wrap the tape down the left or right side of the foot, increasing the length or is that taken into account?  Because if I do it the way you say it, it is definitely 20 inches instead of 19, putting me in a 33 or 34 inch.  Looks like I measured it per the Warrior chart below.  Screenshot_2020-03-28-11-22-50.thumb.png.e376f1055b56aea9388bf5f253f251d9.png

I measure pretty much measure straight up my leg. If I’m reading mine right I’m at about a little over 19.5 FTK. With my leg having a slight bend I’m almost 20 unless I’m reading it wrong. I’m 5’11 and my skate is 8 CCM U+ pro  

E7010297-0F3C-4FE4-9F75-442B7CAEE76E.jpeg

89719546-4460-4898-9221-A76AD9D4EE53.jpeg

D08203A5-97A0-4628-8589-953849E5DF71.jpeg

On 3/28/2020 at 12:27 AM, CJ Boiss said:

I modded my last pair of ancient Bauer's with a Lundy loop. It got the job done. 

493463377_lundyloopMODonmyBauerskates.thumb.jpg.4106e044b7ff37cd4eec1046f011677c.jpg

My new skates have the Lundy loop already and I love them.

634511740_oldvsnewgoalieskates.png.3c48b5d32fff4de3807f58071d421fd1.png

As for your original concerns, your pads look pretty good. 

I wear my pads crazy loose, plus before I switched to Pro Laces I had the added slack from my skate lace toe ties, my pads would hang fairly low. But as long as your knee falls into place when making saves and your knee doesn't fall out of the stack, you'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, creasecollector said:

I modded my last pair of ancient Bauer's with a Lundy loop. It got the job done. 

493463377_lundyloopMODonmyBauerskates.thumb.jpg.4106e044b7ff37cd4eec1046f011677c.jpg

My new skates have the Lundy loop already and I love them.

634511740_oldvsnewgoalieskates.png.3c48b5d32fff4de3807f58071d421fd1.png

As for your original concerns, your pads look pretty good. 

I wear my pads crazy loose, plus before I switched to Pro Laces I had the added slack from my skate lace toe ties, my pads would hang fairly low. But as long as your knee falls into place when making saves and your knee doesn't fall out of the stack, you'll be fine. 

Thanks. Yeah, after a few more paranoid try-ons and after seeing other folks’ FTKs here, I’m confident this is the right size.

I also have a buddy who’s a goalie coach and who has reassured me several times that the fit is good. Patient man. :)

15 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

What are you using for toe ties?

The elastic thing that came with them, but my buddy recommended going back to laces like I have now for a looser feel. That’s my plan before COVID passes and we can get back on the ice. 

I was going to say, make sure you are not using skate lace if you are having rotation issues.  The Warrior system isn't bad, it can feel too tight though.  Search VOG toe tie mod on YouTube for some ideas if you want it looser.  I recommend picking up Prolaces TGN spec and ditching the Warrior elastic.

Archived