NHL Considering NFL-Style "Breaking the Plane" Offside Rule

SaveByRichter35

One year ago, NHL GMs considered changing the offside rule, making it so that “breaking the plane” above the blue line was the deciding factor — like with an NFL touchdown — as opposed to getting your skate down on the ice. They decided to wait and see how this year went. There’s momentum to go ahead, make the change at next month’s meetings, feeling the number of reviews could drop by half if the rule is amended. Anything that speeds up the process and adds goals is a win.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-decision-galchenyuk-looms-canadiens/

21 hours ago, Hills said:

See, this is tough for me, since I think the current way is great for making players do dramatic things to stay onside with flexibility and skating ability.

Agreed.  I would just like to see them get rid of the off sides challenge.  The linesmen get it right 99.9% of the time.  Reviewing the play where a guy's skate is on the right side of the blue line but not actually touching the ice is just getting ridiculous and wasting time.  I understand that it is technically off sides but come on.  They're looking for any way possible to add scoring to the game and this rule is doing the exact opposite. 

How many goals has the Offsides Challenge overturned? It's silly, just like back when if the tip of your skate touched the crease, the goal would be null. Of course Hull's skate was a mile in the crease and the Stars won the Cup, but the refs were tired and it was two, three overtimes?

I like the heroic ways that players try to stay on side, myself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

I think this would be a great idea... or lose a time out like in football.

They were already charged a timeout if it was an incorrect challenge for offsides, which coaches would end up calling a challenge regardless to get more than a 30 second time out. This rule should stop a lot of challenges.

you are correct!  This is another one they tacked on for this season to help the flow

"The NHL also added another small rule to how teams utilize their timeouts. No longer will coaches be able to call timeouts after icings. Opposing teams will still be able to, but teams that ice the puck will not be able to rest their defenders"

5 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

you are correct!  This is another one they tacked on for this season to help the flow

"The NHL also added another small rule to how teams utilize their timeouts. No longer will coaches be able to call timeouts after icings. Opposing teams will still be able to, but teams that ice the puck will not be able to rest their defenders"

12 hours ago, MTH said:

Because the games aren't long enough now. Now I have to hear the announcers discuss more rules and risks to challenges... ugh.

"Fastest game on earth"

Implementing this would speed it up though because you wouldn’t need a 10 min review whether his skate blade was slightly in the air or not.

1 hour ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Still less stopping than in football.  Or baseball.  Or golf.

There’s actually not much stopping in televised golf. Usually go right from one shot to another. 

Archived