Refs Say No More Automatic Whistles For Lost Equipment

SaveByRichter35

This is mind blowingly stupid. Most goalies I know (including myself) don't have the stones to arbitrarily throw a glove or a helmet just to get a stoppage. Having had a puck glance a not so protective part of my blocker, I would not risk my hand to catch a puck bare-handed, as I had a freak accident with a puck glancing my blocker hand. Hurts like a mofo!

The league wants to see more goals as a result is my theory.

First big name goalie or even a teams number one that get seriously hurt because of this, I can see owners pressuring Bettman on this to change it back. I say it's only a matter of time and it will be back. Even a close call owners are going to say change it back, when they have pay some one to be out long term or even cost the team a chance at the playoffs. Just plain stuiped.

The part I'm confused about is where it says "The automatic whistle will still be in place if a goalie’s helmet comes off during play." But that has never been automatic (which is why goalies like Holtby have been so confused when they pulled their own mask off and play didn't stop). Maybe it is, now. 

I can see why this rule exists, but I think it is a bad idea.

Also the helmet falling off rule is a bit ridiculous regardless and I think should be changed and addressed. Goalies flip their helmets off now when their strap comes undone, which is less safe than wearing it with the straps done incorrectly. They should have a third party in the stands watching for it and to blow the horn for a whistle if they see the helmet off or the strapping off.

The reason I see this rule existing is because of goalies now shaking their heads off violently when their helmets get bumped. Which I do believe some NHL goalies take advantage of.

5 minutes ago, Hills said:

I can see why this rule exists, but I think it is a bad idea.

Also the helmet falling off rule is a bit ridiculous regardless and I think should be changed and addressed. Goalies flip their helmets off now when their strap comes undone, which is less safe than wearing it with the straps done incorrectly. They should have a third party in the stands watching for it and to blow the horn for a whistle if they see the helmet off or the strapping off.

The reason I see this rule existing is because of goalies now shaking their heads off violently when their helmets get bumped. Which I do believe some NHL goalies take advantage of.

And the problem there is that you get guys who do it and shake their mask off and then have to make a save because they didn't know the rules. That's a horrible safety issue. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

And the problem there is that you get guys who do it and shake their mask off and then have to make a save because they didn't know the rules. That's a horrible safety issue. 

I totally agree, the shaking the mask off is a horribly unsafe play. But it can be hard for a ref to notice the mask is undone or off. Which I why I think a spotter should make that call.

4 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I took a shot to the mask a few weeks ago, and I didn't even notice the strap had been knocked off.  Not sure how these guys know their strap is undone.  Guess they just shake their head hard after every shot to the mask?

I can definitely tell when mine comes undone. But my mask doesn’t move at all so it’s really obvious when it gets even slightly looser. 

I can tell on mine when a strap is undone...might just be the shape of my noggin. For the big boys, I don't have a big problem with the rule if like the citation says, the whistle blows when the goalie loses his bucket. This isn't nothing new; used to be the old strap came undone technique to getting a whistle or making a break last longer. I would like the rule better if it left it up to the refs or linesmen to blow the play dead or not depending on whether the goalie shucked his blocker, for example, to get a whistle or lost it just as a part of the play. But as long as the whistle blows when the bucket comes off, I don't mind it and it is probably just to make the game pass faster. For anyone less than the pros, got to blow the whistle. 

7 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I can tell on mine when a strap is undone...might just be the shape of my noggin. For the big boys, I don't have a big problem with the rule if like the citation says, the whistle blows when the goalie loses his bucket. This isn't nothing new; used to be the old strap came undone technique to getting a whistle or making a break last longer. I would like the rule better if it left it up to the refs or linesmen to blow the play dead or not depending on whether the goalie shucked his blocker, for example, to get a whistle or lost it just as a part of the play. But as long as the whistle blows when the bucket comes off, I don't mind it and it is probably just to make the game pass faster. For anyone less than the pros, got to blow the whistle. 

The problem is that, again, in the NHL that is NOT the rule. There is no automatic whistle for a mask coming off in the NHL. For USA Hockey, absolutely. 

Rule 9.6:

When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has control of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has control of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending team’s end zone face-off spots.

When a goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask in order to secure a stoppage of play, the Referee shall stop play as outlined above and in this case assess the goalkeeper a minor penalty for delaying the game. If the goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask when the opposing team is on a breakaway, the Referee shall award a penalty shot to the nonoffending team, which shot shall be taken by the player last in possession of the puck. If the goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask during the course of a penalty shot or shootout attempt, the Referee shall award a goal to the non-offending team.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

If the goaltender blatantly shakes his helmet off then blow the play dead and assess a delay of game penalty. Problem solved. The play should always stop if the guy whose job it is, is to have pucks shot at him is not wearing headgear.

But that’s not the rule.

On 11/30/2017 at 12:27 AM, Pauly35or00 said:

If the goaltender blatantly shakes his helmet off then blow the play dead and assess a delay of game penalty. Problem solved. The play should always stop if the guy whose job it is, is to have pucks shot at him is not wearing headgear.

This is the way it should be.

Archived