Bauer 960xpm, CCM Pro (2017), OTNY

Hey guys, 

Im in the market soon for a new mask and was set on getting an OTNY CC and came across the 960xpm for around the same price. Seems that they are made with the same material. Anyone have any experience with the Bauer and can comment on quality and whether or not the mask is worth it. Seems like the original price point of the Bauer is $800/900. I know Bauer has been in the mask game for a while and plenty of goalies use their mask, I wasn’t able to find to many reviews on the XPM. 

27 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

I had a otny pro and now à Bauer 960 2020 and for sure I never go back to otny ... 

I don’t understand all the hype around otny mask ! I have the same protection with Bauer but confort is for me 100 time Better 

From my reading it seems that OTNY kind of builds the mask to fit your head. OTNY also seems to be a well built mask at a nice price point, fiberglass and Kevlar for $500. I haven’t had any personal experience and you have but to an outsider they seem like a pretty good deal. 

might look into Bauer and see how it fits. 

thank you

I have the 960XPM.  I find it's a great mask.  Super comfortable and protective.  Only issue is that it can be quite warm, but you get use to that within a few skates.  Overall i would definitely not hesitate to buy one if you can find it for a good price.  But as you mentioned, fit is the most important.  If it doesn't fit your head right, doesn't matter how good of a mask it is.  Good luck @Quadzilla32 with your mask purchase.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I have the 960XPM.  I find it's a great mask.  Super comfortable and protective.  Only issue is that it can be quite warm, but you get use to that within a few skates.  Overall i would definitely not hesitate to buy one if you can find it for a good price.  But as you mentioned, fit is the most important.  If it doesn't fit your head right, doesn't matter how good of a mask it is.  Good luck @Quadzilla32 with your mask purchase.

What level do you play at? I’m just playing beer league but want to be sure my heads safe, some of the guys can shoot it. 

@Quadzilla32 I'm just a beer leaguer as well, but as you said, some guys can fire it still.  Best example i can give for the mask was i took one hell of a wrister from the dot straight to the cage.  Ref blew the play dead while i was frantically searching for the puck.  Ref proceeded to come over and inquire if i was okay.  I laughed and said i was great (no ringing, no headache, no pain).  Upon inspecting my mask with the stoppage in play, the double center bar of my cat-eye (Bauer brand) was bent.  And that's why i invest in good masks.

Does Bauer have the same fit types as with player helmets? Like one is for more rounded head and the other model line is for more oval shaped head?

This issue was realised to me when I bought a players helmet last year or so. I did find the info from some US/CAN webshop and found that info to be very helpful, it was accurate enough for me to know readily walking into a shop what models would fit and what won't.

Haven't found equal knowledge on goalie masks but have been wondering if there is similar shaping? Bauer for example produces NME and (what was) Profile lines and many price options inside them. What is the difference between those?  

3 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Does Bauer have the same fit types as with player helmets? Like one is for more rounded head and the other model line is for more oval shaped head?

This issue was realised to me when I bought a players helmet last year or so. I did find the info from some US/CAN webshop and found that info to be very helpful, it was accurate enough for me to know readily walking into a shop what models would fit and what won't.

Haven't found equal knowledge on goalie masks but have been wondering if there is similar shaping? Bauer for example produces NME and (what was) Profile lines and many price options inside them. What is the difference between those?  

I Have a bauer nme 8 and a 960 xpm. They are for different headshapes. Honestly im not 100% sure but the nme feels like it was meant for wider heads. Both great masks though

@ArdeFIN, the NME line is meant for wider/rounder heads, while the profile line is for narrower/oval shaped heads (as mentioned by @conn6r).  They also both use different sizing: NME = Fit 1/2/3; Profile = S/M/L (introduced in the newest iteration; previously S/M & M/L; and before that just one size equal to about the S/M).

As for the difference between the price options, they should have that fairly detailed on the website, but basically you’re increasing the technology and protectiveness of materials as you go up in price. But basically IMHO if you’re playing any level of decent ice hockey (I.e. at least one person can fire the puck), I’d make sure to invest in a fibreglass mask (I.e. NME IX, or Profile 950X) or better. Your head will thank you later.

My kid upgraded to the 960xpm this year after 4 years in a 950x. This is the pre-2020 version, which we picked-up on clearance for C$650.

He had 15 ice sessions last week and took about 6 or 7 shots off the coconut from Junior-level players, and didn’t feel a thing. No damage to the cage or helmet  

Compared to the 950, the 960 has upgraded padding and feels a little lighter, so it’s very comfortable (provided you have the proper head shape). It does get hot though, especially with summer hockey, to the point where you can wring-out the sweat from the headband after an ice session.

Price differences were clear to me, though always been thinking about everything that the highest price point isn't very profitable in gains, the mid price is in many cases the best bang for buck.

But when talking about helmet or mask, all the money invested is worth it. Like insurance is useless all the time and costs but the one time you really need it you better have it.

Wellworth in a mask by giving you the peace in mind and lets you concentrate to the game itself knowing you have the best. 

😬

Me saying this and now in a NME5. But I have a REY CK mask being painted so soon it'll get better for me too ☺️ Not that I've had any issues with my NME5 so far but it's the lowest price point item anyways.

Edit: Ice Warehouse has those player helmet shapes in their product sheets, but not for masks 😕 Should we request them to do something about it...

I'd say it is definitely dependent on your head size, as well. For me, even the size small Bauer helmets are too large, so for proper protection I went with the OTNY X1eco Elite in the junior size. Same layup/construction as the Sr masks, just in a smaller size; the OTNY folks said that a number of NWHL goalies were using this mask, as well, because of sizing issues with even the smallest Sr. masks. This may not be a problem you have, though.

I've taken a good number of shots off it, both directly to the cage and glancing off the top/square into the forehead, and there has never been anything more than a dull "bonk" sound - no pain, no ringing, or anything else adverse. One of the forwards on the team I played against last night hit me with a shot 5-6 times to various areas of the mask and it was perfect; maybe he was confusing the white mask for the net behind me! 

I'm in the other end of the line with a big head. Only one available here was Rey that offered a too big model, Swiss XL. Large was spot on. Hopefully it will still be after painting and installing new padding and all. 😅

But that shape I noticed very clearly when looking for a new helmet. I went with Bauer and the difference between model was very clear as I wasn't able to keep the helmet on my head if it was wrong shape. That is the right fit other than size. Both are very important to get the best protection and comfort out of them.

@Teezle, assuming you don't need to find a replacement mask anytime soon (and OTNY being an excellent brand from everything I've heard), but Bauer has gone and increased the size options for those with smaller heads.  The NME line now has a Fit 0.5 in the IX and the Profile size 'S' for the 2020 line should be the smallest fit that mask has seen (I'm assuming).  Also there is a size 'XS' from Sportmask (now paired with OTNY i believe). 

I'm with you @ArdeFIN, unfortunately I'm at the other extreme and have issues finding masks large enough to encase my head too. lol.  A bit nervous by the new 960 as they decreased the size of the 'L' from the previous 'M/L' (960XPM) for some reason (would love to have a Rep explain the reasoning behind that; I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here.  Legitimately would like to know.  Most likely due to some consumer surveys/research).

• Quadzilla32 changed the title to Bauer 960xpm, CCM Pro (2017), OTNY

So I’ve started to narrow down my mask options and it’s between three masks 

960XPM- only drawback is that the Bauer doesn’t sell replacement foam for it  

CCM Pro 2017 version- foam will eventually dry up, like most masks not a big deal only negative reviews I’ve really seen.

OTNY either CC with or without the eco foam- with eco foam it’s the most expensive option but heard the foam won’t dry out and will last a long time. The normal CC seems like the same build as the other masks with normal tan foam that will need replacement at some point. Looked into the X1 but goalieparts suggested I go with the CC for my small dome.

I have to visit my LHS and try on the Bauer and CCM and see how they fit and which one will be the best fit. 

Anymore input on the CCM or OTNY would be great. The Bauer seems to be loved and the foam is pretty comfy. 

I can only comment on the CCM, as I have not tried/seen OTNY masks enough to give a valid assessment. But the CCM feels really light with incredible sight lines (peripheral and downwards). As well, I enjoy the “slimmer” profile of the mask. Seems like it would allow for easier head movement when play is behind the net.

12 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

So I’ve started to narrow down my mask options and it’s between three masks 

960XPM- only drawback is that the Bauer doesn’t sell replacement foam for it  

CCM Pro 2017 version- foam will eventually dry up, like most masks not a big deal only negative reviews I’ve really seen.

OTNY either CC with or without the eco foam- with eco foam it’s the most expensive option but heard the foam won’t dry out and will last a long time. The normal CC seems like the same build as the other masks with normal tan foam that will need replacement at some point. Looked into the X1 but goalieparts suggested I go with the CC for my small dome.

I have to visit my LHS and try on the Bauer and CCM and see how they fit and which one will be the best fit. 

Anymore input on the CCM or OTNY would be great. The Bauer seems to be loved and the foam is pretty comfy. 

Full disclosure, I work for Sportmask/OTNY; I sell for Sportmask, and receive zero compensation for endorsing an OTNY product.

That being said, I have an OTNY CC with the ECO foam in my stable to go along with 3 Pro's Choice masks. 
It's a solid piece of equipment, you definitely can't go wrong.

The standard equipped CCs are lined with traditional Rubatex, which can dry out and harden over time.

IMO the biggest value add with the OTNY product is that the composite portions of the shell and backplate carry a lifetime warranty.  I don't think CCM or Bauer has anything close to that.

48 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I can only comment on the CCM, as I have not tried/seen OTNY masks enough to give a valid assessment. But the CCM feels really light with incredible sight lines (peripheral and downwards). As well, I enjoy the “slimmer” profile of the mask. Seems like it would allow for easier head movement when play is behind the net.

Do you find the chin area getting in the way when turning your head over your shoulder? That’s one of the worries with the CCM since the chin looks like it goes down a good amount. 

12 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Full disclosure, I work for Sportmask/OTNY; I sell for Sportmask, and receive zero compensation for endorsing an OTNY product.

That being said, I have an OTNY CC with the ECO foam in my stable to go along with 3 Pro's Choice masks. 
It's a solid piece of equipment, you definitely can't go wrong.

The standard equipped CCs are lined with traditional Rubatex, which can dry out and harden over time.

IMO the biggest value add with the OTNY product is that the composite portions of the shell and backplate carry a lifetime warranty.  I don't think CCM or Bauer has anything close to that.

Heard the eco foam will pretty much last a lifetime without getting hard. Is this true or someone just jazzing it up? 

only downside is the price tag of the CC with the eco foam, it’s the most expensive of the three. 

2 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Heard the eco foam will pretty much last a lifetime without getting hard. Is this true or someone just jazzing it up? 

only downside is the price tag of the CC with the eco foam, it’s the most expensive of the three. 

This sounds smart-assey in my head as I'm writing it, and that's not my intention...but ECO foam has been out for maybe 2-3 years.  I can't promise it'll last a lifetime.

Also, giggity.

Also, it is the only one out of the three that has a factory-ready kit to repad.

14 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Do you find the chin area getting in the way when turning your head over your shoulder? That’s one of the worries with the CCM since the chin looks like it goes down a good amount. 

@Quadzilla32 I have no game experience with the CCM, only in the numerous in store try-on sessions I’ve done with one (work in a LHS), both with and without a chestie on. The chin length didn’t seem to affect any head movement, and as I mentioned before, seemed actually a bit easier than some other masks. But again, this is all something that I’m sure will be different for each person and needs to be tried on to determine personally if it’ll work for you (if you have the opportunity).

And @Chenner29 has made some excellent points for OTNY. It may be a bit more expensive up front, but if you’ve had issues with masks in the past, that warranty may end up saving you money in the long run. I know sportmask makes an excellent mask from my numerous inspections (again, LHS), and OTNY being paired with them (and testimony from a buddy who owns one), have heard nothing but good about them as well.

@Quadzilla32 It seems like you’re simply in the situation of having all good options. I think when you finally get to try some of them on will drastically help you make a decision. Just make sure to try them on with and without your (or similar) chest if you’re concerned about head movement. And again, fit trumps all. If it doesn’t fit properly, it doesn’t protect properly. Won’t matter how good the mask is. Good luck in your decision.

Archived