Suggestions on a new chesty

What's up y'all,

With my first showcase of the year in the books, I noticed that It might be time for a new chesty. My CCM Premier Pro is done and I would like to have your suggestions on which model would be my best bet. First off, I tried the Axis Pro recently and I didn't really like the feel. I felt really stuck and not mobile. I'm more looking for a chesty that gives me enough mobility, but that looks big in the net (I'm only 5'8" and I play at an elite level). I've heard a lot of good things about the Vaughn V9 and SLR2 pro carbon. What do you guys think? (my chest size is Sr Medium btw)

Thanks a lot,

Émile (Mtl, Qc.)

42 minutes ago, Emile T-Anctil said:

What's up y'all,

With my first showcase of the year in the books, I noticed that It might be time for a new chesty. My CCM Premier Pro is done and I would like to have your suggestions on which model would be my best bet. First off, I tried the Axis Pro recently and I didn't really like the feel. I felt really stuck and not mobile. I'm more looking for a chesty that gives me enough mobility, but that looks big in the net (I'm only 5'8" and I play at an elite level). I've heard a lot of good things about the Vaughn V9 and SLR2 pro carbon. What do you guys think? (my chest size is Sr Medium btw)

Thanks a lot,

Émile (Mtl, Qc.)

A few things to consider.

At that level, I don't think a stock Vaughn unit will be enough protection.  You'll need to custom order something from them with beefed up arms.  I am also not a fan of the air knit that they use as it tends to wear through very quickly.  With the amount that you'd be skating in a AAA/Showcase environment, I don't think it would last.

I tried on a Warrior G5 at the shop the other day and was pretty impressed with the mobility  off the rack.  It seems pretty well padded as well - it's based on the model they produce for lacrosse.  These fit pretty big, so if you are a Medium in other brands, I'd probably recommend a Small.  I'm 5'11 and fit well in a medium. 

IMO the CCM NHL return units are best in class.  I'd pay through the nose for a new one once my current one wears out.  The problem is that A) the arms are similar to the Axis that you mentioned you did not like (but much beefier) and B) it will be tough to find one in the wild, let alone in Medium. 

4 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

A few things to consider.

At that level, I don't think a stock Vaughn unit will be enough protection.  You'll need to custom order something from them with beefed up arms.  I am also not a fan of the air knit that they use as it tends to wear through very quickly.  With the amount that you'd be skating in a AAA/Showcase environment, I don't think it would last.

I tried on a Warrior G5 at the shop the other day and was pretty impressed with the mobility  off the rack.  It seems pretty well padded as well - it's based on the model they produce for lacrosse.  These fit pretty big, so if you are a Medium in other brands, I'd probably recommend a Small.  I'm 5'11 and fit well in a medium. 

IMO the CCM NHL return units are best in class.  I'd pay through the nose for a new one once my current one wears out.  The problem is that A) the arms are similar to the Axis that you mentioned you did not like (but much beefier) and B) it will be tough to find one in the wild, let alone in Medium. 

Interesting! I've heard that the biggest problem with Vaughn C&As are the arm protection. And like you said, with the amount of time I spend on the ice, I think it's worth it to get a custom one. By any chance, do you know how to place a custom order for a chest? Because I work at a hockey shop and we only offer custom goalie sets (pads, trapper, blocker) and sticks.

Thanks a lot!

Just now, Emile T-Anctil said:

Interesting! I've heard that the biggest problem with Vaughn C&As are the arm protection. And like you said, with the amount of time I spend on the ice, I think it's worth it to get a custom one. By any chance, do you know how to place a custom order for a chest? Because I work at a hockey shop and we only offer custom goalie sets (pads, trapper, blocker) and sticks.

Thanks a lot!

I spent about two years at GoalieMonkey and we dealt with Vaughn USA.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but back then I could call Dennis to get a custom form to fill out, then I'd submit the order through my division manager at Monkey.

If you're committed to Vaughn in this case, maybe you can ask for nylon instead of air knit.
If you're going stock with anything, I understand most manufacturers have an Employee Purchase Program web portal that you can purchase from.

Passau pro pack? I tried on a V8 chesty and loved the mobile feel on it but like it’s been stated playing at a high level you would probably need more protection. I recently bought a pro pack and it is great, stuff at first but it has broken in and is mobile and offers tons of protection. 

13 hours ago, Emile T-Anctil said:

Thanks a lot!

Like Chenner said, you should be able to order through your Vaughn rep if you want to go custom.  Warrior GT/2 is beefier than the Vaughn and almost as mobile.  Probably the best of both worlds.   I've been really happy with my Bauer 2X.  It has great mobility, takes up plenty of room for a unit that's easy to move in, but the protection in the forearms may be a touch light for the level you're playing with.  Best of luck.

I see that you're from Montreal, you can go directly at the Passau factory at Chambly to take a look at our chesty, pro standard and pro pack. It will be less expensive for the standard pro than in store or equal with a better protection for the Pro Pack. 

10 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Like Chenner said, you should be able to order through your Vaughn rep if you want to go custom.  Warrior GT/2 is beefier than the Vaughn and almost as mobile.  Probably the best of both worlds.   I've been really happy with my Bauer 2X.  It has great mobility, takes up plenty of room for a unit that's easy to move in, but the protection in the forearms may be a touch light for the level you're playing with.  Best of luck.

Excellent, thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, Sebx said:

I see that you're from Montreal, you can go directly at the Passau factory at Chambly to take a look at our chesty, pro standard and pro pack. It will be less expensive for the standard pro than in store or equal with a better protection for the Pro Pack. 

Hi, I just took a quick look at your website and a few other people commented that they really liked their pro pack. If I make a custom order for the pro pack, how much time do I have to wait until it's ready?

24 minutes ago, Emile T-Anctil said:

Hi, I just took a quick look at your website and a few other people commented that they really liked their pro pack. If I make a custom order for the pro pack, how much time do I have to wait until it's ready?

We have a lot of standard ready to go, the pro pack will be back in stock the next week. We have a store in the factory, you can see and try our gear.

Je parle aussi français si tu veux plus d'informations, tu peux m'écrire en privé.

Archived