Vaughn VE8 Pro Chest/Arm

ArdeFIN

I've been looking for this opportunity for a long time and now I have it. A few months pickup used VE8 Pro non Carbon size SR large.

I'll see this unit through in no full review but more in a technical viewpoint. And for Mods I'll do some modifications atleast for arms to improve the protection. Something else might be done too when get deeper into this one.

First impressions for a quick try on and visual and finger point feeling through. Fits like a sweater, very soft and mobile. The shoulders appear bigger than in all the pictures I've looked at where this is like very slimmed in unit. New NHL spec is like this? The arms are the weak part for sure, just some HD foam and plasticcy like molded part to make the shape. This just can't work very good! Elbow floaters are interesting, technically I don't understand why the soft foam is on top and the HD foam/plastic is under that? I would do it just the opposite. The floaters are half detachable as one side is laced in. Nice for doing those mods. Chest as a whole, sternum and belly are "normal", not the thickest ones but atleast mediocre. Shoulders are a bit on the low side of protection, cups or plates almost are very thin and leave some open space that potentially can be hit by puck. Here I'll add some extra material in multilayer style, overlapping biceps and (underlapping) shouldercup/floater. Propably I will get some advice here from my Warrior GT which is very well done at this section. Shoulder floaters are thick but narrow and might get some rise from shoulder add-ons too. That is something yet to be designed better.

One thing on the downside for this topic is that the unit is black base color, so it'll be a pain to get you pictures that tell something.

Comments are welcome and conversation and suggestions. 

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Elbow floaters are interesting, technically I don't understand why the soft foam is on top and the HD foam/plastic is under that? I would do it just the opposite. T

on my pro return bauer totalone nsg done also. and on the chest too. the soft foam on the outside additionally dampens puck energy and reduces rebound. by the way, the armor on warships of World War I was also arranged

Here's two pictures of the hand protection, first both parts from outside, forearm closer.

IMG_20201114_135303_9x12.thumb.jpg.23c69b4fa495c4823708c37bc6d76b7e.jpg

The structure is simple and ... well ... just isn't enough. But it's light anyways so something is good.

Forearm part from inside.

IMG_20201113_201120_12x9.thumb.jpg.e26996092feac41a6a40796b527bd904.jpg

I'd do this just the opposite way for the foams. The perfored one (and thicker on bicep) to inside and solid to the outside. Also I would thinner the outside even more and move the thickness to inside foam and add some extra there.

Edited by ArdeFIN

Then the bicep protection.

Outside foam 10mm

IMG_20201113_203354_12x9.thumb.jpg.6c50bf06121bad299889879e519c9766.jpg

And inside foam 8mm

IMG_20201113_203414_12x9.thumb.jpg.778ccde144e45d7190034e6e28088ebd.jpg

Missing the total thickness picture but that should account to 20mm.

So it definitely is light but protection is lacking badly. The perforated foam would make the inside more breathable without giving out anything in protection. The foam outside the plastic softens the rebound but that's almost it. If this armour was to be used in ball game where there is a big surface hitting you it would work pretty well I think. But against a puck with such a small hitting surface the energy will come through.

I'm planning to add a 10mm layer of soft LD foam and maybe layer that up against arm with a 4-6mm densier foam but not with an HD. That setup should create some airbag in between which should dampen the strike energy.

I'll get some more pictures of the arms when I get to that phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Some research and invention done and here are some of the improvements to be tried on:

First the bicep which is the most critical from popular opinions. Thickest outer layer moved under the plastic and inner foam to outside. This also gives a bit more soft coverage to edges but slighly narrows the area covered by the plastic sheet.

Plastic sheet is shaped more flat towards the puck from full round. This should give some room for the added LD foam to the inside next to bicep. In the picture the foam is too wide, it only needs to cover the the area under the middle of the plastic sheet.

1606079362834_12x9.thumb.jpg.51a2e7c7282c41f2bf5d6c27446cd5ec.jpg

Another picture of the planned setup to bicep area. Here's the 4mm foam in white too which I'm yet to decide.

1606079372187_12x9.thumb.jpg.2f794ecae77191b54549fdf8d5fdc67e.jpg

Then the forearm protection. Here's no reason to change the original setup of foams as the thicker is under the plastic. But I'd rather put the perforated foam under for some air circulation etc. I'll add a slice of 10 LD foam next to elbow so it won't thicken the wrist area and possibl yaffect the glove mobility.

Plastic was rehaped from the elbow end only, again tried to achieve more flat top surface. I might need to redo that for both plastics to make that shape stay. Memory effect is strong in these plastics.

1606079713264_12x9.thumb.jpg.5695c7715a8bc692d935124f9e4d49e6.jpg

I found from old spare parts stash a sternum pillow from Bauer Pro. It's very thin with only 5mm of material, but it's clean and nice materials and also easy to add that 10mm LD foam sheet inside. Then it'll do very well adding that airbag effect. Also there are velcroes for attachment and I just have to add some to the C/A.

1606079310035_9x12.thumb.jpg.457b9c1af8951034efc1ec110519c740.jpg

From the same stash I found spares of a Koho Revolution which gave some parts to my Brown earlier. Now I'll use the shoulder pads which are very close to the shape of the Vaughns own pads. The fabric on these is awkward but will be hidden pretty well. 

My first intention is to get the original ones off from where those are now and move them lower towards elbow. Then I'll add these a bit more towards head and under the floaters to give them a slight lift on outer side while I try to keep them down on the neck side. Bidnings are open because I took the plastic sheets out from these. And that's good as I don't think I would've had any need for those.

1606079337540_12x9.thumb.jpg.96c787970e19c1b2f3b90cad12356ae0.jpg

Sad for me, while trying the unit on I noticed the hands are quite short, more like the M size warriors which is a disappointment as I really like the arms to be as long as possible. Remains to be seen if I can come up with something to improve on that issue. Making the arms detachable would give benefits but only if the elbow will work after that too as the problem is more on the forearm length than the whole sleeve being short.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Got a bit over thrown of the gloves now and took the VE8 back on stage. I managed to get some of that webbing fabric, not the same as Vaughn using, but similar enough.

So how would I get the forearms longer? Well there is a seam hidden under the elbow floaters so I took everything apart to see what's up. Luckily only the floaters are sewed in and only at one side while the other side is laced in. Interesting solution as what is the reason of lacing the other side? Taking it in use though with some elastic lace to make the floaters a bit more mobile. Not that there isn't enough mobility already but just to try it out.

Ok then the seam. Opened the binding and there is a normal seam between forearm and bicep part. Undo that and add material in between and sew everything back together. I didn't cover the seams with binding but instead used some on the outer edges to make it look finished. Floater will hide the seam though binding might give some strength too. But this is not a high wear area nor it is subjected to huge forces except pucks hitting there, hopefully.

So here's how it was at that time. Actually this is going back together already. The bicep protections pouch is sewed and I added a jenpro slice to the shoulder to make some adjustability there too. I also added 10mm thick LD foam to the whole area of the sleeve in between the fabric layers.

I like the Browns structure better, there are no pouches for the protective parts but those are just in between the fabrics and sewed around to hold in place. 

IMG_20210226_181456_12x9.thumb.jpg.4309a4590bb2edb332bd1ef92fa388c9.jpg

Then some more sewing, adding the slice of webbing fabric and some more sewing. Here I added about 50mm of fabric and with 10mm on both edges used to sew the parts the added length is about 30mm.

IMG-20210226-WA0000_12x9.thumb.jpg.85d0f39ef52f1da5aac500dc4cea1a84.jpg

Closeup of the jenpro attachment. Many holes for adjusting the height also.

In manufacturing way of thinking  I don't understand the need nor the idea of the seam here covered with binding. Why is it needed? Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just cut a single part or atleast only add the small tab going to the back. But there is a lot on these I can't figure out why it is done the way it is.

IMG_20210226_184840_12x9.thumb.jpg.64d00daa46ca3e85a88fb06d7bb08036.jpg

Would those of you who have used one of this or similar design Vaughn chestys tell me at which areas have you got stingers in wearing these units?

As getting a stinger on arm isn't really precise to understand the real weak spots in the design.

What I've seen with this unit now is that I would expect to get some at the area of the elbow floaters which are really poor in design. 

There are always weak spots but are there any that repeatedly get/give the beating.

Edited by ArdeFIN

Noticed one weak spot at the belly area.

IMG_20210301_201614_12x9.thumb.jpg.2814d5cf17e37727d7d7ab399d60eb56.jpg

The flap that gives you a bit more freedom here is not overlapped with the rest of the padding. Actually only the bindings are over each other. That leaves a big gap where almost whole puck can hit your belly through without anything but those bindings softening the impact. Also that flap itself is so thin and poorly softened that a good slapper might bruise your belly through it.

If I remember right in the SLR C/A this flap is bigger in size but how about the over lapping on edges and the thickness of the whole pad?

After adding some jenpro strips to the shoulder area and getting everything together I noticed there is definitely more on the sleeves which is what I wanted.

Also the forearm part is working well, even with the wrist strap not overly tight it can push the sleeve towards elbow when needed so the mobility is very good.

The elbow cups and the attachment of them needs some more thinking now when the factory made connections are modified. I'm thinkin of using the rubber lace to have some extra movement but still could keep the floaters and elbow cups tight around which is the way I like them. This adjusting and measuring is pretty difficult doing by myself as I have to wear the unit while trying to figure out what is in the right place and what should be changed and to which direction.

Have to give credit to Vaughn that this area of the C/A has a lot of possibilities with only changing the way things are laced together.

Inside edge of the floaters needs a little more stiching but my machine is struggling with the amount of layers of fabrics, and also the binding a just too narrow to sew it nicely. Hopefully my local professional has better machinery for this job.

1614953526209_12x9.thumb.jpg.a77086880edfdc9b3d5fb4865922b056.jpg

The 10mm LD foam added gives a huge difference in feel of protection for the arms, now I have a feeling I can face some slappers too without being afraid.

The elbow floaters have few weak spots still, which I can't do anything but add an extra layer under there. Hopefully I can make it without killing the mobility.

One picture of the thing hanging around. I've tried to move the floaters a bit closer to my neck to cover more of that area but not a huge success yet.

1614953526217_9x12.thumb.jpg.ff3992fe740f8e1f20c4335f72ab7fdb.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Took some pictures of the attachment of the arms. As simple as possible.

IMG_20210309_181128_9x12.thumb.jpg.14855c9a5efdfccd660a9e6fe4b37ce5.jpg

All of the lacing and added tabs are on the outside just to make sure they don't start rubbing my shoulder or my underwear.

IMG_20210309_181202_9x12.thumb.jpg.d913ce2355f3d6ce03f14ce56fe9f237.jpg

You can notice from the second picture that I moved the shoulder cup a bit inwards as the lacing moves the whole arm outwards. The previously added 10mm LD foam is all the way up to the shoulder too to add some protection here. Have read of some bruises in the shoulder area on Vaughn C/As.

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. I have the VE8 carbon chesty and have used it about 10 times now. I have had a few in the arms already that were definitely not fun. The worst spot is right at the top of the arm/bottom shoulder. Right where I'm pressing i just got hit an hour ago and i expect a pretty decent bruise. I need to find out an easy way to mod it there because I love the chesty other than that. Feels great 

16160368030905594717023511292259.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 5:08 AM, Maxpower29 said:

This is interesting. I have the VE8 carbon chesty and have used it about 10 times now. I have had a few in the arms already that were definitely not fun. The worst spot is right at the top of the arm/bottom shoulder. Right where I'm pressing i just got hit an hour ago and i expect a pretty decent bruise. I need to find out an easy way to mod it there because I love the chesty other than that. Feels great 

If I can approx that right the spot you got it is just where I have the lacing now. And there is actually no padding at all under the shoulder floater. I have to add something there too as I'm going leave the second shoulder cup out. I got one with my Brown C/A to the same area and exactly on the lacing there too. After that I made some improvements, lesson learnt but seemingly forgot it already.

The easiest way is to add some MD foam of maybe 15-20mm thick over the whole length of the seam between chest and arm parts. In my project unit I have it a bit easier to do as I now have the lacing where I can attach the extra foam to.

If you go look at my Brown C/A project you should find one solution there, atleast I remember I added some pictures of added padding in there. 

Going to look now. I am wondering if I should have got a Large instead of a medium. Im just about 5' 10 and 72" reach. Looking on the site they recommend 5'10 - 6' and 70-72" reach to take a large. I dont find this one fits me bad at all but maybe thats why I am getting hit in the arms more, maybe its not fit correctly. I went to the store today and tried the Large on and it also fit me fine when I adjusted it smaller and what not. 

I am wondering my options as well. Hopefully think of something because this unit is great outside of that. 

Another thing is I have the Vaughn padded shirt and it seems to fit well with this and there havent been shots yet in the arms elsewhere that caught me. Probably is possible though. But the shoulder is the bad spot. Im wondering if it has something to do with how Im positioned, and the puck is shot from the side. the floater doesnt seem to sit down well and leaves you pretty open for something with no protection. Here are some padding I took from the padded pants I bought and dont use that I am looking to use as well

Last thing is where Im still new to this, does this wrist placement seem like the right location?

2222.jpg

1111.jpg

PXL_20210319_175044472.jpg

• Like 1

Can you take a few more pictures of the shoulder area under the floaters. There seems to be quite a lot of extra padding compared to my non Pro Carbon version.

You should be able to find the weak spot of the C/A by pressing the padding at the area you got the stinger. And ofcourse you must be in the position you were then. Would be plausible to get the puck to shoulder as you are in the picture but remember that shirt is also pushing the C/A together atleast a little. And the flaps won't fly open then either.

For wrist positioning I think that is everyones own opinion. I do want and like my wrists covered well but not so much that the gloves are affected. But that thing is also personal to each other. Put in short it's a combination of protection, mobility and comfort. Have it so that it suits you best.

The sizing of the Vaughn C/A is smaller than Warrior. I fit a size M Warrior R/GT Pro just the same as this VE8pro in size L.

Here are some more pics. There is not much padding at all under the floater and the issue is you can see that there are parts there that has easy spots for the puck to find arm. I am waiting to hear back from Vaughn because the shop I bought it from called and asked what options I had to add more padding. I really think retro fitting another shoulder cap somehow is the way to go though because I want to keep this unit, I love it other than that

chest3.jpg

chest2.jpg

chest1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hard to say from those pictures but yes, another layer is added on shoulders. It looks smaller than the original shoulder caps.

The sleeve padding is all the way different and looks like its built from three different plates instead of the basic models one piece bent sheet.

Would definitely be nice to get a chance to look closer on one of these pro returns. Once again we get to ask, why Vaughn doesn't offer this model for normal customers? I don't believe its hand built from scratch but they have ready made parts and plans for these.

• 1 month later...

Had my VE8 C/A with me last sunday on ice to see how it does the job.

Well there was some fiddling to adjust the pants elastic straps to be short enough for this, those were adjusted to fit my Brown. From that it was feeling okayish but the bottom part, especially the flap over belly wanted to rise over my pants top edge and at times it also turned in to push my stomach. Annoying it was and didn't feel very nice. No confidence on that part. Othervise really good, noticeably cooler than Brown because Brown is so completely over the body and this Vaughn is a lot less covering. Cooler also because the belly wanted to fly over all the time and kept air flowing between my chest and the unit 😆

The hands are pretty good, the shots were only mere snapshots from distance but felt like just enough to notice where and that's it. Would make a bit more of a hit with more force but I think it's good enough for lower level beer league atleast. Mobility is excellent and it fits like a sweater on me, but there is also room to adjust it looser. I like it pretty snug.

What I noticed in the locker room after the one hour of struggle that I forgot to tighten up my inner belt on the pants. Dang! Have to take the unit to a second tryout and get all the strappings better forehand and not afterwards.

Last mods that were done before icetime, added a flap made from 15mm thick MD foam and attached with elastic lace to the sleeve attachment straps. Flap is sized so that it covers the lacing for the sleeve and my setting is pretty narrow so it extends over the shoulder cup. But is not visible from under the floater. Gives a little lift to the outer edge of the floater.

Comparing to Maxpower29 pictures here is a lot less of material under the floater.

IMG_20210619_185014_6x8.thumb.jpg.7802ffd2bf38ade535cb2b8f66b93d0b.jpg

Added one elastic strap to the elbow floaters lower edge to keep it in form and straigth. I might move the original strap from elbow to there as it's a bit stiffer and thicker material. My strap material is more suitable for testing than long time use.

IMG_20210619_185049_6x8.thumb.jpg.4bcb303690bba6ce5eadc74c961a2dfd.jpg

Just to mention to the end of it a Finnish goalie (Metsola maybe?) got a new Vaughn gear including a VE8 chesty and that unit definitely had double shoulder cups. Tried to ask for some extra knowledge about it but never got anything out.

• Like 1

That's why I'm doing this, to create the perfect gear. 😄 The way to make it better is to be a bit afraid of puck and wanting better protection while having the good mobility and whatever.

An endless mission it is but at the same time I do learn about it and might be able to give something from that out to whoever is interested.

Would be really interesting to get someone else to test these mods and modded equipment too to see that are they only fit for me or are them universal.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Second run was done with this too, now I had my inner belt tightened and the elastic straps a bit tighter too. It did help a lot as there was only one occasion where I ended up lying on the ice and the belly flap turned in as I was reaching out. But the edges next to the flap now interfered with everything. Not in a way it would be painful or hindering noticeably my movement but the feeling was there all the time.

So the end line is I'm gonna sell this one out. There's no use to start modifying it from the scratch to make it work for me. I already have the Brown which does fine job and can also be modified more. And in this state I'll be able to sell this one to someone in need for a good C/A.

Maybe I'll go after a GT2 Warrior next as the GT Pro was so good with only minor weaknesses. 🤔

• 3 weeks later...