Bauer pro department c/a

Henkkath

12 minutes ago, Pezon36 said:

I recently got a Bauer pro series. Non nhl spec.  Was used by connor ungar.  Took a little getting use to compared to my hyperlite but I’m loving the mobility and protection of it. 

IMG_6039.jpeg

Thought that was mine for a second lol 1FFB754F-1F5B-4D8C-AC2E-AADC4DE539FF.thumb.jpeg.255847d9f1dbcadd67d7c64568e3235a.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

All I'm seeing everywhere are XLs. I need a Large. The search goes on.

@pfeiffjay54 the Hyperlite is quite a different build in the body. Were you just curious to try something different?

The hyperlite I had was a size to small.  This came up on sideline for a good price so I gave it a shot. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

And voilà, my search is over...for the moment. Ironically, as I purchased this unit, a week after, a ton pop up for the taking all over Facebook 🙄

Posting my intention here and there on FB, someone reached out saying they had one they were selling. I didn't know the guy and as we went back and forth on the topic, for personal curiosity and to get a clear picture of whom I'll be dealing with,  I searched his profile and was noticed something "odd". I decided to Google him and to my pleasant surprise he turned out to be a Canadian boy playing pro in Europe...Liga to be precise. No it's not Trav 😝😁. His name was mentioned in a post recently...

As I let you work it out, I will give my first impression of the unit, comparing it to my 2S model and eventually a post-action review.

I'm happy to finally get back into a unit my size. As some of you know, my 2S is an XL and is just too long on my torso despite my 6'2 frame. I'm all legs I guess 😆

This is a custom senior Large pro-return. The custom part was additional thickness in some key areas as per his request, very much expected for his level of play. If I feel anything in this unit, it won't be more than a light slap from the girlfriend after a bad joke. Reason for him selling is that it's too small for him. He was initially in a CCM Pro and went back to one, the newer version in XL (and I have a juicy tidbit on that topic for later).

If I compare the weight between this Pro Series and my 2S, I'd say there's at least 1lbs or 2 different given the extra thickness. I don't have proper scale to back that up so do indulge me in my inaccuracy. 

The wings on this unit are much thicker, as is the heart guard. Even though, the type of foam used give me the impression that rebound won't come off like crazy as on the 2S. Personally I'm fine with that as it will give me better rebound control. Of course this theory might drastically change after my first or second ice time. We shall see.

The shoulder caps took me by surprise. You see, the caps on the 2S are a hard shell, similar to what you would find on a forward's shoulder pads. There's no extra foam flap behind it, the foam is integrated with the plastic in the nylon shell. As for the Pro Series, and never having seen one before, I wouldn't of known, but the caps are like a hollow shell, you can press into it, which is something I would of never expected, especially since they were designed to face pro level shots. I thought they would of been the same thing as the 2S but nope. As a safety measure I guess, Bauer added a thick foam flap behind the caps. Was this approach done to save weight? Was it an NHL rule thing? Is there a scientific purpose to it? I have no clue.

One thing I was looking forward to, as small as it may seem, was the wrist guard that usually comes with this unit. Mind you, the one attached here is damaged and will need replacing, I'm happy to give it a go. I'm hoping it won't interfere with my glove. I use a Warrior GT2 and the cuff is smaller than most gloves out there. Should I ever move into a G7, apparently they are even smaller, all the better for that extra padding there.

Lastly, a minute detail, the neck foam, cuff, call it what you may. The one on the 2S is a stiffer foam and given that the unit is too long on me and that I tuck, it sometimes pushed up into my Maltese guard and made for an uncomfortable moment. The one on the Pro Series is much softer and all should be perfect now 👌 

That's all I can think of for now. If more comes up, I'll just add it as an additional update. Stay tuned for the post-game review.

If there's any questions or users feedback, go for it.

20240423_213152.jpg

20240423_213128.jpg

20240423_222014.jpg

• Like 6

I’m in a Bauer Pro Series C/A with reinforced everything, and it’s the best chest protector I’ve used. The only improvement I would like is a strap at the back to attach it to my pants. Any suggestions on the best way to add one?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Teezle said:

I’m in a Bauer Pro Series C/A with reinforced everything, and it’s the best chest protector I’ve used. The only improvement I would like is a strap at the back to attach it to my pants. Any suggestions on the best way to add one?

You can find some fight straps on eBay. Sew them into the back and you should be good. 

@ZeroGravitas here you go man...

Top of neck to bottom = 22"

Right below neck guard to bottom = 20.5"

Shoulder width: center to center = 22" and edge to edge is 28"

Arms are 20.5"

These are all approximately, so give or take a notch. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow if possible. 

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

And voilà, my search is over...for the moment. Ironically, as I purchased this unit, a week after, a ton pop up for the taking all over Facebook 🙄

Posting my intention here and there on FB, someone reached out saying they had one they were selling. I didn't know the guy and as we went back and forth on the topic, for personal curiosity and to get a clear picture of whom I'll be dealing with,  I searched his profile and was noticed something "odd". I decided to Google him and to my pleasant surprise he turned out to be a Canadian boy playing pro in Europe...Liga to be precise. No it's not Trav 😝😁. His name was mentioned in a post recently...

As I let you work it out, I will give my first impression of the unit, comparing it to my 2S model and eventually a post-action review.

I'm happy to finally get back into a unit my size. As some of you know, my 2S is an XL and is just too long on my torso despite my 6'2 frame. I'm all legs I guess 😆

This is a custom senior Large pro-return. The custom part was additional thickness in some key areas as per his request, very much expected for his level of play. If I feel anything in this unit, it won't be more than a light slap from the girlfriend after a bad joke. Reason for him selling is that it's too small for him. He was initially in a CCM Pro and went back to one, the newer version in XL (and I have a juicy tidbit on that topic for later).

If I compare the weight between this Pro Series and my 2S, I'd say there's at least 1lbs or 2 different given the extra thickness. I don't have proper scale to back that up so do indulge me in my inaccuracy. 

The wings on this unit are much thicker, as is the heart guard. Even though, the type of foam used give me the impression that rebound won't come off like crazy as on the 2S. Personally I'm fine with that as it will give me better rebound control. Of course this theory might drastically change after my first or second ice time. We shall see.

The shoulder caps took me by surprise. You see, the caps on the 2S are a hard shell, similar to what you would find on a forward's shoulder pads. There's no extra foam flap behind it, the foam is integrated with the plastic in the nylon shell. As for the Pro Series, and never having seen one before, I wouldn't of known, but the caps are like a hollow shell, you can press into it, which is something I would of never expected, especially since they were designed to face pro level shots. I thought they would of been the same thing as the 2S but nope. As a safety measure I guess, Bauer added a thick foam flap behind the caps. Was this approach done to save weight? Was it an NHL rule thing? Is there a scientific purpose to it? I have no clue.

One thing I was looking forward to, as small as it may seem, was the wrist guard that usually comes with this unit. Mind you, the one attached here is damaged and will need replacing, I'm happy to give it a go. I'm hoping it won't interfere with my glove. I use a Warrior GT2 and the cuff is smaller than most gloves out there. Should I ever move into a G7, apparently they are even smaller, all the better for that extra padding there.

Lastly, a minute detail, the neck foam, cuff, call it what you may. The one on the 2S is a stiffer foam and given that the unit is too long on me and that I tuck, it sometimes pushed up into my Maltese guard and made for an uncomfortable moment. The one on the Pro Series is much softer and all should be perfect now 👌 

That's all I can think of for now. If more comes up, I'll just add it as an additional update. Stay tuned for the post-game review.

If there's any questions or users feedback, go for it.

20240423_213152.jpg

20240423_213128.jpg

20240423_222014.jpg

Can you please make photo of the reinforced parts? I had oportunity to try standard one in store (in this same black colour) and would like to compare. 

3 hours ago, mik said:

Can you please make photo of the reinforced parts? I had oportunity to try standard one in store (in this same black colour) and would like to compare. 

The shoulder floaters will be 1" thick instead of 0.75", biceps and forearms will be a bit thicker as well. Not as noticeable on photos though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mik said:

IMG_0010.thumb.jpg.5fef46a3667287a8a5a4c555c111cd01.jpg IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.11bebc8e3b4c6226c752896cf2a2f053.jpg

The shoulder floaters are 1" thick. The padding over the biceps, forearms, and sides of the arms is about 3/4" thick. The breast plate (in white on mine) is about 1.25" thick and from the front side of the breast plate through to where it touches your chest is about 4" of padding. In the first photo, you can also see the hard cup shaped shoulder cap, with additional foam behind it. It's a tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Teezle said:

IMG_0010.thumb.jpg.5fef46a3667287a8a5a4c555c111cd01.jpg IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.11bebc8e3b4c6226c752896cf2a2f053.jpg

The shoulder floaters are 1" thick. The padding over the biceps, forearms, and sides of the arms is about 3/4" thick. The breast plate (in white on mine) is about 1.25" thick and from the front side of the breast plate through to where it touches your chest is about 4" of padding. In the first photo, you can also see the hard cup shaped shoulder cap, with additional foam behind it. It's a tank.

☝️this exactly, give or take the person's personal request. Cody said he had 1/3" foam added in high impact areas which should be quite similar to what's said above. To say the least, the most normal and flimsiest part of the c/a is the split flaps at the very bottom. They're almost useless if you ask me. @Teezle, did you keep that part on? I noticed some Vapor 1X units online where the user had removed them.

As my first update, off-ice, I was wrong about the collar, it's the same foam. I was too quick to judge. The back elastics are kinda soft, almost cheap feeling. I will need to replace them for sure. The spine guard, on mine, is very thick. Maybe there's a lot of slashing goalies in the back in Liga? Not sure if I mentioned it initially but the padding that sits under the armpit is quite substantial, again on mine. Will this prevent rib injuries? Not one bit. Maybe it's a form of cheater I'm not aware of? Looking at the lace-in part of the arm that attaches to the shoulder part (it runs through, all shoulder parts and arms) of the Pro Series, compared to the same lace-in part of the 2S, the Pro Series is very thick. It almost feels like too much. Were they thinking that it would add more cushion for blows? Who knows. I've kinda messed with the lacing to give me a little bit more freedom. I might have some extra holes punched in for the extra 1/2"-1" in the near future.  

• Thanks 1

I forgot to mention...the forearms are much more narrower than that of the 2S. Pro rules? THS said in their videos that these units, which they carried some, were not NHL spec. If you ask me, aside from the shoulder caps maybe, they are very minimal compared to the CCM and new Bauers and Brian's.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichMan said:

☝️this exactly, give or take the person's personal request. Cody said he had 1/3" foam added in high impact areas which should be quite similar to what's said above. To say the least, the most normal and flimsiest part of the c/a is the split flaps at the very bottom. They're almost useless if you ask me. @Teezle, did you keep that part on? I noticed some Vapor 1X units online where the user had removed them.

As my first update, off-ice, I was wrong about the collar, it's the same foam. I was too quick to judge. The back elastics are kinda soft, almost cheap feeling. I will need to replace them for sure. The spine guard, on mine, is very thick. Maybe there's a lot of slashing goalies in the back in Liga? Not sure if I mentioned it initially but the padding that sits under the armpit is quite substantial, again on mine. Will this prevent rib injuries? Not one bit. Maybe it's a form of cheater I'm not aware of? Looking at the lace-in part of the arm that attaches to the shoulder part (it runs through, all shoulder parts and arms) of the Pro Series, compared to the same lace-in part of the 2S, the Pro Series is very thick. It almost feels like too much. Were they thinking that it would add more cushion for blows? Who knows. I've kinda messed with the lacing to give me a little bit more freedom. I might have some extra holes punched in for the extra 1/2"-1" in the near future.  

The blocks definitely thin out towards the bottom. I think the split part is for mobility? I wear it untucked and any area that would be exposed by the split parts moving away from each other is covered by my pants anyway. Also keep in mind that mine is a size Small, so the last rows of blocks will be very compressed compared to one made for a larger person. You can see, for example, how much less of the forearm is covered by the elbow piece on yours vs mine. 

The back protector on mine is thick, as well. I haven’t felt any interference from the rib protection (not digging into my armpit). I ordered it with 1/2” removed from the wrist length to make sure it didn’t interfere with my gloves, so going longer in the arms was never a thought for me :)

• Like 1

@Teezle I wore my 2S a couple times untucked and it just made me nervous about getting dinged in the ribs on one-timers. It doesn't have the side coverage of a CCM or Warrior. I feel more confident with it tucked.

One thing I realised with pro-returns, the ones with 3 months or less of use, equal ours in looks after 3+ years in beer league :D 

Edited by RichMan