True or VH Boot on Graf Cowling

Chenner29

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to check in with the guys that have the True or VH skate.  I purchased a custom pair of these with just the boot.

My original intention was to mount them to my Graf cowlings as I have two sets of steel that are pretty much dialed in to where I like.

I talked to the guy who does my profiling/sharpening and he said this style boot is a pain in the ass to mount on the Graf cowling - there is a bit of heel tilt in the cowling that makes it difficult to accommodate the True boot.
I wanted to check in with other users who may have done the same to see if they are seeing any issues.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey - are you able to comment on this? Is a graf cowling more complicated? 

Tim tagged a few folks on GGSU for me as I started a thread there as well.

I got some images, it doesn't look any more complicated.  May need some heel lifts, but this whole post is more a product of me wanting to have my skates ready to go on Day 1 rather than waiting to find a holder that works.

I installed a Vaughn cowling easily on my VH skate using T-nuts. That took no mods. 

I considered my Graf cowlings, but I already had premium steel for my Vaughn cowlings. 

Cowling free is NOT for me!!!! Been there,  done that and damned near broke my foot and would have in a lesser skate.

@TheGoalNet

I'm gonna try to jam them into my Grafs.  Doesn't seem like it will be a problem, I might need heel lifts though.

Between a new set of Kenesky's (in production now), a Pro's Choice with Cipra paint (shell wrapping up soon), and these skates I really don't wanna spend another $300 on a holder and two sets of steel.

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

@TheGoalNet

I'm gonna try to jam them into my Grafs.  Doesn't seem like it will be a problem, I might need heel lifts though.

Between a new set of Kenesky's (in production now), a Pro's Choice with Cipra paint (shell wrapping up soon), and these skates I really don't wanna spend another $300 on a holder and two sets of steel.

With all that money spent, what's another $300? lol

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Did they try putting them on the Grafs first?

Initially I did want the neon Graf cowling but at that time it was my understanding that Mike Vaughn was not going to continue to produce any Graf goal skates so I elected to go with CCM.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on this:

My True boots came in.  The boot did not fit in the Graf cowling.  I pried open two pairs of skates (both mine 6.5R* and my brothers 7.5W) - both cowlings were a size 6.**

For anyone in the future, you may need a larger cowling than what you are coming out of.  Check your cowling first.

I have some Vertexx holders on the way.

*weird, because it says 7 at the bottom of the boot under the footbed.

**double weird, because I've been buying size 7 Step Steel for them with no issues.

Archived