All-Wood Sticks

estogoalie

Does anyone have any recommendations on all-wood sticks? I'm looking at the Warrior Woody stick, this is one of the few high-quality wood sticks out there(?), has anyone used that?

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/warrior-goalie-stick-swagger-wood-sr.html

I see Jukka has a GoaliePro wood stick as well. ANd SHerwood G530 is still sold, but I tried one a few years ago, and it splitered fairly quickly. It had some fibreglass or whatever wrap, but seem kinda weak. But the stick sells for $45 so you get what you pay for I guess...

There is a much higher quality Sherwood wood stick made in Canada. I have a few. It is retro looking. G5030.

The latest wood Warrior is the WDY. The Woodrow, Woody, and WDY are the same basic recipe, and they are FINE sticks. 

Even though the Bauer Reactor wood is made in Canada, the quality is meh. 

Brian’s Timber is a great value. I bought several. 

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on all-wood sticks? I'm looking at the Warrior Woody stick, this is one of the few high-quality wood sticks out there(?), has anyone used that?

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/warrior-goalie-stick-swagger-wood-sr.html

I see Jukka has a GoaliePro wood stick as well. ANd SHerwood G530 is still sold, but I tried one a few years ago, and it splitered fairly quickly. It had some fibreglass or whatever wrap, but seem kinda weak. But the stick sells for $45 so you get what you pay for I guess...

I have the Warrior wood stick...it is a telephone pole so I don't use it much but it is a different model than yours. It has "Quick" stamped on the handle so I am guessing it is based on his pattern. Takes a beating with no splintering but it is heavy. I cant remember the brand he uses but Total Hockey had a few based on Anderson's pattern. Much lighter but I don't have it.

Edit: Just looked at the link in your post: same stick. 

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering, does anybody still make a "Pro-Level" wood stick? I don't think the current Warrior, CCM, Sherwood, are really up to NHL/Pro level of quality (?)

And second question: when were all-wood sticks last used in the NHL? (Or is somebody still using them?) As far as I can remember, Roloson and Leclaire used all-wood TPS Omega sticks up till around 2008 or so. And a few others like Lehner were still using Sherwood 530 SOP till at least 2011 or so (I am pretty sure those were also all-wood and not foam paddle?)

*Edit, maybe Lehners stick here was 9950 SOP, which was foam paddle, but I know others like Alex Auld had 530 SOP which were all-wood.

rolo.jpg

lehner.jpg

auld.JPG

Lundy uses wood. There is probably more wood in the NHL than it appears. It still seems that the most popular is wood shaft and foam paddle.

The Sher-Wood G5030 is a very nice stick and is made the old-fashioned way. I was very happy with mine. 

Weirdly enough, I am on the composite bandwagon, coming from several years of using wood. Whilst being an expensive habit, they can be repaired. I am going to be buying composite supplies to facilitate these eventual repairs. I don’t feel the “pingyness” that others feel. Of course one could fill the hollow shaft with expanding foam to kill the vibration; however, it would also kill the flex for shooting. 

On 12/17/2017 at 7:35 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Lundy uses wood. There is probably more wood in the NHL than it appears. It still seems that the most popular is wood shaft and foam paddle.

No, I was meaning 100% wood, including paddle. I think the last of those in the NHL were either TPS Omega's or SherWood 503 SOP. Bith of which haven't been used in the NHL since 6-7 years ago.

I just picked up an all wood CCM E3.5 stick yesterday from Pure Hockey. It weighs about the same as the Bauer composite I was also looking at. I always wanted an un-painted all wood stick. The Price P1 has a pretty nice hook to the blade too. At $59, I figured why not. Using it tonight. Looks sharp.

rs.php?path=CX5GJ-1.jpg&nw=766

Also, it's Canadian made. Not Ukrane like a lot of the Sher-Wood wood sticks are. 

I noticed that there were a bunch of SOP vintage Sher-Wood foam cores. Look good. Made in China foam cores = no thanks.

Archived