Player skates advice

Since you’re all hopeless at providing good goalie advice, maybe you can help with this… 😛

I have CCM Pro Tacks from 2005 in almost new condition (see pic). They’re great - but heavy. I was at PIAS getting skates for my son and saw a pair of Bauer Supreme S36 (2020 mid-range model) for a $150 (minus whatever I’d get on the trade). I didn’t get to try them on, but I’m wondering if going from 16 year old pro to present day mid-range would be a net improvement.

I’m only wearing these to coach my son’s house league team, and to dick around once in a while outdoors, so I can’t justify getting Pro level again.

Any thoughts? Stick with what I have? Go for the newer ones and feel the time warp?

D09F56DF-5C8E-4EAF-BF64-DE5E9FBAB5EE.png

8535BAAB-B012-48D2-A43C-5C10E777E7CF.jpeg

Edited by Lucky Pucker
Forgot the visual aids!

If they both fit you really well then it might not give you that much, but the investment isn't huge either.

I went from oldish CCM tacks mid level to Bauer S150 that weren't really my fit after all and still I felt like I learned a new way to skate faster and sharper.

Later on I went to a shop and tried on a Bauer X600 skates with better sizing and that was once again a huge leap to better skating. I'd gladly take one more of such a step up with my skating if I could get it by just buying a new pair of skates.

• Thanks 1

In all seriousness, for just the odd casual skate/standing around blowing a whistle, those Tacks look fine to me. Shit, barely look used too. ;)

You'll get some performance upgrades with the Bauer, but aside from lightness I'm not sure how much performance you'd get out of it considering the usage you've listed.

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

In all seriousness, for just the odd casual skate/standing around blowing a whistle, those Tacks look fine to me. Shit, barely look used too. ;)

We’ve been through this before; I play a re-sale value focused style - even outside of the crease! Lol!

There were  a few years between 2005 and 2021 where they got zero use, but I’ve tried to take care of them.

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have a pair of those ccm skates with tuuk holders and I am in love with them. Favorite player skate I’ve ever used. Toe cap is cracked though so I need to fix that before using them again although true two piece goalie skates are basically player skates. 

So is that a vote to hang on to my CCMs then? 

• Like 1

The Bauer S36 is less mid-range, more econo-beginner range. And yeah, it might be lighter, but it's also going to be extremely soft.

I'd hang on to the CCMs, unless your replacements move up into the $400-500 range. (in which case, take a look at True's new non-custom player skates)

• Thanks 1

I'd say keep your CCM's. You're probably not going to get anything worthwhile (maybe $10-20 at most? I'm guessing) for those CCM's at PIAS.

If you are just coaching and sometimes screwing around and not actually playing out multiple times a week you would be fine with the bauers if you want new skates. CJ is right, they are on the lower end and wouldn't last as long as the higher grade ones, but you aren't going to be working them hard. If you want new skates, get new skates.

• Thanks 1

Geez… go to a bunch of randos on the internet to encourage needless splurge spending and they can’t even do that right! LOL!

Seriously, thank you all for the thoughts and insights. Started off leaning towards purchase/upgrade, but I’ll likely keep the CCM Pro Tacks given the excellent input. Cheers, all. 🍻

47 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Geez… go to a bunch of randos on the internet to encourage needless splurge spending and they can’t even do that right! LOL!

Seriously, thank you all for the thoughts and insights. Started off leaning towards purchase/upgrade, but I’ll likely keep the CCM Pro Tacks given the excellent input. Cheers, all. 🍻

It's mostly because we all agree that spending money on player gear is dumb.

Save that cash for the good stuff.

• 1 year later...

Update on this thread!

Had to buy new skates for my son (he’s outgrown - and beat the shit out of - the ones pictured above. Was interested in seeing if there were some stock Trues he could try that made sense, and found a nearby LHS that had TF7s for 40% off - which is a fantastic deal! He tried them, and loved them, so we bought them. He’ll be at a Habs camp next week ( https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/community/hockey-school) where he’ll get to try them out.

I’ve started to play out a bit, and will be coaching my son again. It got me to thinking, maybe NOW is the time for me to finally replace the 2005 Pro Tacks. Went this morning, and came back with a pair of my own! The ones in my size didn’t have the runners in them, so they had to take black onyx ones from a pair of TF9s, which is a sweet bonus!

IMG_5062.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2