Koho 580 Pads: eBay, Donate, or Trash?

stackem30

So, I just got my first new set of pads in 13 years, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my old ones.

They're a pair of pro-level Koho 580's, pretty sure they're 36" (maybe with a +1), white with maroon and silver accents. They are everything you would expect a well-worn pair of pads to be: the straps are a worn-down mess, there are a few cuts in the leather, one toe-tie is skate lace and the other is string, the velcro has lost all elasticity, one of the plastic loops that attaches a strap to a calf pad is broken, and the inner boots are worn down to the point that the insides are starting to show. Oh, and they have my first name embroidered on the side. There is nothing glamorous about them.

Unless... some people still love older brands like Koho and Heaton, and are partial to particular models. I know there have been times where I would have considered paying a couple hundred bucks for an old Heaton pad if I liked the size and colors and thought it had potential as a fixer-upper. Who knows, someone out there might see something in them. So, I'm trying to decide between these options:

Sell: I have no idea if pads like this still find buyers on eBay, or whether they'd sell for enough to make posting them and shipping them worth it. I suppose if I believed I could net $100-$200 for them after shipping, I'd do it. I'd imagine the only person who would pay anything for these would be someone who has a thing for old Koho pads.

Donate: I have no problem with donating them if selling them doesn't seem worth the time/money. I love the idea that someone who wants to play in goal but can't afford to invest in gear could use them. Still, I bet most programs that want second-hand hockey equipment want things that are more youth-sized, and pads that fit someone who's 6'2" might not fit the bill. And around Boston, I wouldn't be surprised if second-hand gear programs have tons of newer stuff in better condition.

Trash: These things have been through the ringer, and it's possible that they're so old and worn down that it would borderline insulting to donate them. The idea makes me a little sad, but it's possible that they've just seen their time, and nobody's going to want to wear them.

TL;DR: I need to get rid of my old Koho 580s, which are very worn down. Not sure whether I should sell them, donate them, or throw them away. I'd love any suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

unnamed.jpg

There’s a Facebook group called Vintage Goalie Equipment. Stuff like this and much older comes up on their radar all the time. Put the pads on eBay, they will sell. Have the buyer cover the shipping and you’ll make some pocket money, give the pads a new home and clear them out from your house. Plenty of people like to refurbish old gear, so this set is far from done.

Archived