EA Sports NHL

estogoalie

My kids have PS4 and have been playing NHL17 since we got the PS a few years ago. They aren't big gamers, just play occasionally when bored. I saw NHL20 on sale for $18 the other day and figured I'd pick it up. The kids put it in today, and said they don't see much difference. Can anyone here chime in? Every year the new ones (like NHL22) cost like $80 or smth. How can they justify the price if it's basically the same as the previous years games?

This is almost every mainstream game's standard release format.  Same game, few tweaks, top dollar pricing.  Putting in the latest and greatest will always seem nice, but rarely is a game leaps and bounds anymore.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm not much of a gamer anymore.  Call of Duty was my thing a long time ago and they have the same problem.  Almost like yearly releases of goalie pad lines 😉

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

My kids have PS4 and have been playing NHL17 since we got the PS a few years ago. They aren't big gamers, just play occasionally when bored. I saw NHL20 on sale for $18 the other day and figured I'd pick it up. The kids put it in today, and said they don't see much difference. Can anyone here chime in? Every year the new ones (like NHL22) cost like $80 or smth. How can they justify the price if it's basically the same as the previous years games?

Because people like me will buy it every year in hopes it's much improved, ha. They're utilizing a new game engine this year, so my hopes are somewhat high. Already pre-ordered and have my auto download set on the PS5!

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

It's not about "justifying" the price. They're priced that way because EA knows that the general market doesn't care. A new AAA property like Resident Evil Village has a ton of new and novel work that goes into it. Even new COD games get new single-player campaigns, new models, textures, locations. There are writers and engineers actually creating new content for every COD game.

Sports video games being sold at a AAA price is one of the most outrageous abuses of the gaming market, and there's virtually no fuss put up about it because the primary market for sports games tend to be less aware of the broader video game market, so they don't know any better. Just look at the kinds of abuses EA's gotten away with in their FIFA games.

EA has been using the exact same Ignite engine for their NHL games since 2015, which means every single "new" game is basically just a matter of updating player stats, or doing a few model reskins for jerseys. UI tweaks here and there to make the game look different at a glance. The only notable mechanical change in the NHL games that I can think of, in recent years, is the "Be A Pro" mode.

Edited by CJ Boiss

19 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

It's not about "justifying" the price. They're priced that way because EA knows that the general market doesn't care. A new AAA property like Resident Evil Village has a ton of new and novel work that goes into it. Even new COD games get new single-player campaigns, new models, textures, locations. There are writers and engineers actually creating new content for every COD game.

Sports video games being sold at a AAA price is one of the most outrageous abuses of the gaming market, and there's virtually no fuss put up about it because the primary market for sports games tend to be less aware of the broader video game market, so they don't know any better. Just look at the kinds of abuses EA's gotten away with in their FIFA games.

EA has been using the exact same Ignite engine for their NHL games since 2015, which means every single "new" game is basically just a matter of updating player stats, or doing a few model reskins for jerseys. UI tweaks here and there to make the game look different at a glance. The only notable mechanical change in the NHL games that I can think of, in recent years, is this the "Be A Pro" mode.

They're using frostbite for this iteration, so hopefully there are noticeable changes. 

34 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

They're using frostbite for this iteration, so hopefully there are noticeable changes. 

There might be, but then the iterative changes will begin again with NHL23 and the cycle of game developers selling sports games at full AAA price, despite putting in a comparatively paltry amount of effort compared to *actual* AAA games, will continue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

EA has been using the exact same Ignite engine for their NHL games since 2015, which means every single "new" game is basically just a matter of updating player stats, or doing a few model reskins for jerseys. UI tweaks here and there to make the game look different at a glance. The only notable mechanical change in the NHL games that I can think of, in recent years, is the "Be A Pro" mode.

Why the outrage? If it's basically the same game, then just buy last years version for $18 like I did and be on your merry way :) ...unless you enjoy living in constant outrage and anger in order to justify a victim-hood mentality that blames others for your own shortcomings and poor life choices ...in which case I say you should indeed go and pay $80 for NHL22 and then have a nice justified rage against the evil patriarchy ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Why the outrage? If it's basically the same game, then just buy last years version for $18 like I did and be on your merry way :) ...unless you enjoy living in constant outrage and anger in order to justify a victim-hood mentality that blames others for your own shortcomings and poor life choices ...in which case I say you should indeed go and pay $80 for NHL22 and then have a nice justified rage against the evil patriarchy ;)

That's some shoddy ass bait there, friendo. Better luck next time.

• 3 months later...

I was rocking out to NHL 94 on YouTube yesterday. Was torturing my kids with the theme music. Got the 10 hour clip running and left it on until they wanted to jump out the window... ha ha

Funny that NHL 94 for the Sega Genesis was like $70 then when it came out. Almost 30 years later - games are about the same price still. How?

Edited by MTH
  • Haha 1