Future trends in construction and materials

bunnyman666

With more friendly sliding materials coming along, wouldn’t it make sense if companies were either trying to figure out how to permanently embed 3M’s protective material into sliding surfaces or to modify the way knee blocks were made in order facilitate cleaner application of materials? I am toying with a knee block design that would allow just that. As soon as I finalise my design and have prototypes built, I will share.

• Like 1

I think the simplicity of being able to have the tape be cleanly applied with enhanced ability to not roll up, therefore last longer, would be a Godsend for people, particularly in not wasting money on botched tape. I am going to work on the proverbial “serviette” drawings and see what people who would fabricate these things think. 

Ive had crazy thoughts of replacing a knee wing with a plate of UHMW PE. 

When i was refurbishing pads, I used that as the knee wing material wrapped in jenpro and it always made sliding so much better, but imagine if it was making direct contact with the ice....

Maybe a stablilock system and anchor the wing into the core of the pad.

• Like 1

ILP’s are wide open right now. We could see anything at this point. UMHE PE could be material du jour. So much depends on whether or not the NHL decides that the low-friction material is preventing too many goals. There are many 5-10 goal games right now. Bettman is creaming his jeans over that much scoring. But the minute scoring decreases, we could be in for Nash or nylon knee and calf “sliding” material.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:34 PM, MangoRhinehart said:

Ive had crazy thoughts of replacing a knee wing with a plate of UHMW PE. 

When i was refurbishing pads, I used that as the knee wing material wrapped in jenpro and it always made sliding so much better, but imagine if it was making direct contact with the ice....

Maybe a stablilock system and anchor the wing into the core of the pad.

Some idea from HD PE, I don't really know if you need more slide over these. And if I needed I'd start with trying to wrap the calf flap with some 3M sticker to test it out.

No. I can fly around with speed only having the knee wings PE plated. 😎

DSC_0283.JPG