Warrior Strapping Options

indykrap

Hey all,

I've been a Warrior user for about four years now (G3 and now G5) and following random bits of advice online, but really realizing I don't have a good fulsome grasp of how I like my pads strapped in. I get good performance most days, but feel like I'm missing "something". So I'm asking all of you!

Here's my setup (bottom up):

- Boot/toe strap removed. Added Prolace armor with about two knots

- Calf wrap about halfway

- Knee strapped to calf, but kept loose and only up to the end of the velcro

- Buckles/nylon straps removed

Picture attached, but ignore the knee wing as I have it on there for experimenting. Also, for reference, I do have pretty big legs, so I keep mine fairly loose as a result.

Some questions I have:

1- How do you strap your pads? 

2- Is this too loose? Should I consider going tighter in some way?

3- Does going to the knee aid in five hole closure at all? I feel my technique is decent, but my closure is meh, even with decent curve. 

4- Should I use the nylon straps? I recall a lot of people taking them off their G3s, so I did then and took it off when I got these. I generally have no issue with staying on the block.

I usually spend my summer skates getting more "dialed in" and working on gear stuff, so any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks all!

IMG_4181.jpg

Edited by indykrap

Aside from 5 hole closure being 90% technique and 10% gear, I'm curious what you're wanting to achieve precisely? You mention that you feel like you're "missing something", but what do you mean by that? 

Are you feeling like you want to have a stronger connection to your pad for added responsiveness? 

I wore my pads like you do for years, recently tightened up the calf wrap to the next stitch line in to get a more responsive feel from my pads as they do tend to "hang" off your leg a bit. 

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Aside from 5 hole closure being 90% technique and 10% gear, I'm curious what you're wanting to achieve precisely? You mention that you feel like you're "missing something", but what do you mean by that? 

Are you feeling like you want to have a stronger connection to your pad for added responsiveness? 

I wore my pads like you do for years, recently tightened up the calf wrap to the next stitch line in to get a more responsive feel from my pads as they do tend to "hang" off your leg a bit. 

Yeah - more responsive sounds about right. I did try this in one game and I liked the responsiveness, but it did feel somewhat awkward because I'm so used to looser pads (so that's on me). Noting that down! Thanks @coopaloop1234 for the great advice (as per usual).

19 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Yeah - more responsive sounds about right. I did try this in one game and I liked the responsiveness, but it did feel somewhat awkward because I'm so used to looser pads (so that's on me). Noting that down! Thanks @coopaloop1234 for the great advice (as per usual).

Since you're also using the G5's. you have the added benefit of making the leg channel even tighter through the slit in the calf wrap. 

I'd experiment with the method you strap up the calf wrap more than anything, you have a few options available at your disposal that I wish I had on my GT2's. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Has anyone cut off the rings in the boot channel that are used for their elastics? Would it make much of a difference?

They have a side job of keeping the leg wrap in place, though I can't imagine removing them would be an issue.

Though, I have to ask, Why? 

I never noticed them while playing myself. So I just left them. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They have a side job of keeping the leg wrap in place, though I can't imagine removing them would be an issue.

Though, I have to ask, Why? 

I never noticed them while playing myself. So I just left them. 

They just seem to clutter the space if not used. Maybe it's just some visual ocd lolll 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:13 AM, indykrap said:

Hey all,

- Buckles/nylon straps removed

4- Should I use the nylon straps? I recall a lot of people taking them off their G3s, so I did then and took it off when I got these. I generally have no issue with staying on the block.

This is a mod I've never understood.   The nylon straps add minimal weight but provide a ton of peace of mind!   Somewhere on YouTube there's a video of a goalie getting his pad ripped off his leg by a skater catching the tip of the pad with his toe.   Watching the chaos as the pad flaps around on the toe strings gives me a case of the sweats.   I always kept the nylon straps on my Warrior pads for that reason and ordered my CCM and Bauer sets with at least one hard strap running from knee to calf.   In all cases I wear it loose, but at least I know I have something locking that pad to my leg.