Bauer Supreme M5 Pro Pads

AnotherRandomGoalie

4 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

I'm not quite sure, though PureGoalie also makes it seem as if the exterior area of the pad is C.O.R.TECH plus.

https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/bauer-supreme-m5-pro-goalie-leg-pads-senior/itm/47429-41/

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.34.11 AM.png

I think it's only on the inside landing and knee. Check them out instore and the CT+ feels almost oily lol. 

Might just be a copy paste job on the write up from the HL. 

• Like 1

I just did my first skate on these last night in a game. Keep in mind, I'm playing beer league 1-2x week, and had my last set of gear FOREVEr. I'm coming from Vaughn V5's that I've used for about 10(ish?) years. Blocker is a Brian's I've been using for around the same time, that I bought used. My glove was a warrior RG2 I got last year. 

Didn't get a chance to break them in before game 1 of the new season, and got a shutout. #ItsThePads

Pads:
I watched In goal Mag's review of the Mach's, and this pad appears identical to most of the things they pointed out. The CSS is there, but not labeled. The only difference is the calf slide plate doesn't have the 3 point's that the mach does, which HockeyReview's YT channel didn't like, so doesn't seem like a loss. I'm guessing the big changes are internal, and suspect the Pure Hockey employee who told me the difference is marketing holds a lot of weight. I think I read this has the older skin, but I see people complaining about the new skin, so doesn't seem like a loss. 

I didn't go in to try and look at these side by side (Nearest store is an hour away), but it's (obviously) a great improvement from my old pads. Teammates made a comment how every shot off my pads sounded like a shotgun going off. Sliding was great, and we have bad ice.  I used to have to do more desperation dives, partly because of bad sliding, and partly because rebounds were dead, and stopped near the net. I found way more time to slide over, and didn't have to do a single one yesterday. 

Glove:
I also did a breakdown with the InGoalMag video for the Mach glove, and this was identical, from the outside to me.  Must be some internal changes? Who knows. 

This is almost identical to my Warrior GT2 glove. Same break, same style. The pocket is deeper here, which is nice. I only had a few hours to try and break it in. I almost want to return it, but the mach set is all black, the Warrior is white, and it doesn't match! I'm vain, so i'll probably list the warrior on sideline swap, and keep this. 

Blocker:
This was in my bag, so I didn't get a chance to do a side watching the video review and looking at the blocker. I was using my old one for so long, and it was used, so anything current was going to be an improvement. No complaints.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but my knowledge is pretty limited to what I got, and what I had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soca said:

I just did my first skate on these last night in a game. Keep in mind, I'm playing beer league 1-2x week, and had my last set of gear FOREVEr. I'm coming from Vaughn V5's that I've used for about 10(ish?) years. Blocker is a Brian's I've been using for around the same time, that I bought used. My glove was a warrior RG2 I got last year. 

Didn't get a chance to break them in before game 1 of the new season, and got a shutout. #ItsThePads

Pads:
I watched In goal Mag's review of the Mach's, and this pad appears identical to most of the things they pointed out. The CSS is there, but not labeled. The only difference is the calf slide plate doesn't have the 3 point's that the mach does, which HockeyReview's YT channel didn't like, so doesn't seem like a loss. I'm guessing the big changes are internal, and suspect the Pure Hockey employee who told me the difference is marketing holds a lot of weight. I think I read this has the older skin, but I see people complaining about the new skin, so doesn't seem like a loss. 

I didn't go in to try and look at these side by side (Nearest store is an hour away), but it's (obviously) a great improvement from my old pads. Teammates made a comment how every shot off my pads sounded like a shotgun going off. Sliding was great, and we have bad ice.  I used to have to do more desperation dives, partly because of bad sliding, and partly because rebounds were dead, and stopped near the net. I found way more time to slide over, and didn't have to do a single one yesterday. 

Glove:
I also did a breakdown with the InGoalMag video for the Mach glove, and this was identical, from the outside to me.  Must be some internal changes? Who knows. 

This is almost identical to my Warrior GT2 glove. Same break, same style. The pocket is deeper here, which is nice. I only had a few hours to try and break it in. I almost want to return it, but the mach set is all black, the Warrior is white, and it doesn't match! I'm vain, so i'll probably list the warrior on sideline swap, and keep this. 

Blocker:
This was in my bag, so I didn't get a chance to do a side watching the video review and looking at the blocker. I was using my old one for so long, and it was used, so anything current was going to be an improvement. No complaints.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but my knowledge is pretty limited to what I got, and what I had. 

Thank you for providing an update on the pads after using them in game. The only two questions I have are "does the pad feel ridiculously stiff?" and "can you feel shots through the blocker?" the second one is more specific to the blocker, so I understand if you can't answer it.

3 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

The only two questions I have are "does the pad feel ridiculously stiff?"

This isn't an exact science at all, but in the InGoalMedia when they pushed the pads down, I did the same thing and felt it looked the same stiffness. 

It's definitely very stiff, compared to what I had. I was worried it would take a big learning curve to use these, but after using them on ice I realized they fit my play style a lot better. 

3 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

can you feel shots through the blocker?"

I'm not sure I quite understand the question. I felt it as in the puck hit it and it, save made.

In contrast, I lost a puck sitting on the glove because I wasn't sure where it landed (it was on top of the wrist, I thought it was inside. Pads are all black couldn't see) 

The blocker I could feel the direction it was going. I had one (blocker.side faceoff shot) that I meant to deflect in the corner, but popped towards the net, and I felt it hit upper left, and knew to slide to the opposite side to cover. 

No stingers or something that felt like it could hurt though (If stingers was the question)

2 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Did the tune fit plus strap cause the pads to sit noticeably high above the skate?

Nope. Not anything I noticed at all. And I was.coming from Vaughn's with a buckle system where I rocked "tight low, loose high" for YEARS, before switching to all loose earlier this year.

I didn't play with the adjustment of it too much, but it looks really adjustable to prevent this. 

Iirc, you can adjust the height a bit too. So I imagine you can prevent it. 

18 hours ago, Soca said:

This isn't an exact science at all, but in the InGoalMedia when they pushed the pads down, I did the same thing and felt it looked the same stiffness. 

It's definitely very stiff, compared to what I had. I was worried it would take a big learning curve to use these, but after using them on ice I realized they fit my play style a lot better. 

I'm not sure I quite understand the question. I felt it as in the puck hit it and it, save made.

In contrast, I lost a puck sitting on the glove because I wasn't sure where it landed (it was on top of the wrist, I thought it was inside. Pads are all black couldn't see) 

The blocker I could feel the direction it was going. I had one (blocker.side faceoff shot) that I meant to deflect in the corner, but popped towards the net, and I felt it hit upper left, and knew to slide to the opposite side to cover. 

No stingers or something that felt like it could hurt though (If stingers was the question)

Nope. Not anything I noticed at all. And I was.coming from Vaughn's with a buckle system where I rocked "tight low, loose high" for YEARS, before switching to all loose earlier this year.

I didn't play with the adjustment of it too much, but it looks really adjustable to prevent this. 

Iirc, you can adjust the height a bit too. So I imagine you can prevent it. 

Thank you for responding to each of my questions. Yes, I was referring to stingers with the blocker question. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:38 PM, ilyazhito said:

What type of palm is on the M5? I'm looking for gloves with a pro palm, because I've taken one too many stingers to the palm. 

It's pretty soft and easy to close right out of the box, much easier than a Pro-Game Ready palm.

Maybe one of the popular online shops will offer an M5 "Plus" where the come with a "Pro" Palm, but it was essentially a "Game-Ready" out of the Pro level glove.

Edited by wvuviv30

On 7/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, ilyazhito said:

If both 3x and M5 have hot rebounds, what is the style difference that 3x is supposed to address?

3x, in theory, will follow the Vapor design and should have a softer flex profile that's more curved. The glove and blocker will follow the Vapor design as well so the trapper will be closer to a 590 and the blocker will ride a little higher than the Supreme.

35 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

3x, in theory, will follow the Vapor design and should have a softer flex profile that's more curved. The glove and blocker will follow the Vapor design as well so the trapper will be closer to a 590 and the blocker will ride a little higher than the Supreme.

That's an interesting tradeoff. Easier 5-hole closure, but at the same time the edges of the pads are less firm. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

That's an interesting tradeoff. Easier 5-hole closure, but at the same time the edges of the pads are less firm. 

Edges of the pad in regards to seal and stability will be the same. When we talk about pad flex, we can be talking about two different concepts. The first concept that you're alluding to would be related to torsional flex, that is, the ability to "twist". From that perspective. all recent goalie pads from Bauer should be nearly the same in that they remain very square to the ice and don't offer a lot of twisting. This is one of the factors that contributes to how well they slide.

When I mentioned flex in my previous comment, what I was really referring to was the ability for the pad to "fold". In the old days of pads and the early generations of Od1n pads, the defining flex characteristic of Vapor pads was the ability for the pad to flex in two locations, while the Supreme flexed in one location. Think "single break" versus "double break". In recent generations Bauer stops referring to them in terms of breaks and instead just refers to the "folding stiffness" of the entire core. US and Mach lines have become successively stiffer, while the HL has become softer. All this gets more confusing when you're talking about Pro Custom pads, because you can change the flex of the profile to whatever you want no matter what the model is, so you're really only choosing the shape itself. 

That being said, when referring to the second and third tier goalie lines, what I'm really saying that the 3x will fold easier than the Mach. Both models will have roughly identical seal and identical torsion flex as well as similar rebounds. 

42 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Edges of the pad in regards to seal and stability will be the same. When we talk about pad flex, we can be talking about two different concepts. The first concept that you're alluding to would be related to torsional flex, that is, the ability to "twist". From that perspective. all recent goalie pads from Bauer should be nearly the same in that they remain very square to the ice and don't offer a lot of twisting. This is one of the factors that contributes to how well they slide.

When I mentioned flex in my previous comment, what I was really referring to was the ability for the pad to "fold". In the old days of pads and the early generations of Od1n pads, the defining flex characteristic of Vapor pads was the ability for the pad to flex in two locations, while the Supreme flexed in one location. Think "single break" versus "double break". In recent generations Bauer stops referring to them in terms of breaks and instead just refers to the "folding stiffness" of the entire core. US and Mach lines have become successively stiffer, while the HL has become softer. All this gets more confusing when you're talking about Pro Custom pads, because you can change the flex of the profile to whatever you want no matter what the model is, so you're really only choosing the shape itself. 

That being said, when referring to the second and third tier goalie lines, what I'm really saying that the 3x will fold easier than the Mach. Both models will have roughly identical seal and identical torsion flex as well as similar rebounds. 

Vapor pads are easier to move inwards, because they have two internal breaks, as opposed to one break for Supremes. Is that what you're trying to say? 

13 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Vapor pads are easier to move inwards, because they have two internal breaks, as opposed to one break for Supremes. Is that what you're trying to say? 

Again, they don't refer to them as breaks anymore. It's a profile stiffness, and it refers to the amount of flexibility the pad has along the face/back of the pad.

Vapor pads can bend more inwards than Supremes can. I wouldn't be averse to trying Vapors, considering the rebound characteristics are the same as the Supremes, but finding used Vapor-line pads in my size  that don't cost an arm and a leg on Sideline Swap is a challenge. At the same time, there are 2 Supreme-series pads that could be within my budget soon. 

30 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

Any reason m5pro didn’t have the Color custom like 3x ? 

seriously I don’t see a lot of difference between m5pro and Mach except you can choose your Color with the customized from Mach 

That is stupid. I get it if Bauer wanted to push people to buying the full-custom Mach, but it's not too difficult to offer color options for mid-level pads. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:53 PM, ilyazhito said:

Vapor pads can bend more inwards than Supremes can. I wouldn't be averse to trying Vapors, considering the rebound characteristics are the same as the Supremes, but finding used Vapor-line pads in my size  that don't cost an arm and a leg on Sideline Swap is a challenge. At the same time, there are 2 Supreme-series pads that could be within my budget soon. 

In my experience with the Supreme 1 S and Vapor 2 X Pro, the Supreme has stronger and better glide and rebounds. and I would never call them the same or comparable. on the other hand, the Vapors sit much more comfortably and comfortably on the foot and really flex easier