Bauer Supreme M5 Pro Pads

AnotherRandomGoalie

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Right on dude. Glad it went well. 

As for the glove, it's a 75 break, but the closing method feels closer to a 590. Probably why you found the transition so easy. 

Exactly.   Pocket is slightly wider too which is nice.  

So I had posted about adjusting my EFlex 4.9's in another thread asking for thoughts.  I went to Pure Hockey today and talked to a guru who knew his stuff.  Basically found that it was the wrong pad for me.  The Supreme M5's seemed to fit my physiology and closed my 5hole due to the nature of the "break" and how it lands.  The EFlex didnt do that, and other than the Pro higher level Brians, these M5 affordable pads seemed to be the best solution, so I walked out with them.  We'll see how they do, but I'm stoked to finally be fitted into a pad that fits my style.  I went from Reebok XPulses to Larceny L9's to EFlex 4.9's, to now a full shift to a different brand.  Other pads felt more comfy, but didn't seal up for me.  This was a better seal but feel will take some getting used to due to the shape.  Should be interesting!

Edited by Cool Runnings
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

So I had posted about adjusting my EFlex 4.9's in another thread asking for thoughts.  I went to Pure Hockey today and talked to a guru who knew his stuff.  Basically found that it was the wrong pad for me.  The Supreme M5's seemed to fit my physiology and closed my 5hole due to the nature of the "break" and how it lands.  The EFlex didnt do that, and other than the Pro higher level Brians, these M5 affordable pads seemed to be the best solution, so I walked out with them.  We'll see how they do, but I'm stoked to finally be fitted into a pad that fits my style.  I went from Reebok XPulses to Larceny L9's to EFlex 4.9's, to now a full shift to a different brand.  Other pads felt more comfy, but didn't seal up for me.  This was a better seal but feel will take some getting used to due to the shape.  Should be interesting!

I was very pleasantly surprised at the amount of precurve built into the M5 pads given their overall stiffness and rigidity.

I know they are leg blockers but they curve in very nicely.  Sigh of relief for me.

So I'm not a fan of the glove strapping, both actually.  I feel like I need two hands to get both on, which obviously cant work hah.  The glove closure off the shelf is as epic as I've ever seen, however the strap just isn't far enough down the back of my wrist, and it constantly feels like it's slipping off.  Yes I used the "southernmost" strap loop.  

Pad feels really tight on my leg even with the loosest strap setting too. Rebounds are F'ing ROCKETS haha!  

Pads and blocker came in today and had first game with them tonight.

pads: felt awesome barely took anytime to get them dialed in. Slid great and I really like the hard rebounds. One play the guy tried to wrap it around and I was down against the post and it hit my pad and shot out of the zone. I did feel a little slower and clunky but I think as I get them broken in more and use to them I’ll be gtg. With the stiffer thighrise it seemed like I was actually able to close my five hole better than my larger thighrise warriors. 

blocker: I’m almost loving it but the damn finger protection and the little sidewall on the finger protection SUCKS!!!! I could never really seem to get a good grip on my stick and had to fiddle with it. The elastic that holds the finger protection on is useless and when I tried to grab my cage to pull my mask off I couldn’t because the flap was cover the ends of my fingers. The index finger protection has that dumb side piece that gets in the way of the paddle and I know people have complained about it before. Rebounds were awesome and blocker felt good. 

im still on the fence about the glove I was messing with it all game to try to get it to feel ok and kind of took the joy out of it because I was focusing on my glove. My bottom two fingers also started to go numb. I’m going to keep trying and if that fails I’ll try a hyperlote glove. I tried on an older model vapor glove and I liked the way it felt. 

8 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

Blocker: I’m almost loving it but the damn finger protection and the little sidewall on the finger protection SUCKS!!!! I could never really seem to get a good grip on my stick and had to fiddle with it. The elastic that holds the finger protection on is useless and when I tried to grab my cage to pull my mask off I couldn’t because the flap was cover the ends of my fingers. The index finger protection has that dumb side piece that gets in the way of the paddle and I know people have complained about it before. Rebounds were awesome and blocker felt good. 

Give it a few games. I wasn't able to open doors or lift my mask at first either. You'll adjust. 

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Give it a few games. I wasn't able to open doors or lift my mask at first either. You'll adjust. 

Same.

Took me like 4 or 5 skates to adjust to the dexterity difference.  Water bottles, nose scratches, mask lifts...all awkward. 

Not bad, just different. 

Did the index finger protection  break in and move out of the way? the whole "channel" where the stick sits in cluttered a bit. I was also getting some finger tip pain like the fingers were too short I'm guessing the palm just needs to break in since my hands are on the smaller size and no way needing an XL palm.

Since this was my first time using and they are still breaking in I'm not making a call on anything yet.

46 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Did the index finger protection  break in and move out of the way? the whole "channel" where the stick sits in cluttered a bit. I was also getting some finger tip pain like the fingers were too short I'm guessing the palm just needs to break in since my hands are on the smaller size and no way needing an XL palm.

Since this was my first time using and they are still breaking in I'm not making a call on anything yet.

One guy shows the index finger protection breaking in. 

have pictures of the lack of interference myself. My finger protection hasn't' changed since that post. 

• Like 1

Are there any of you guys swapping out the factory bungee for looser lace toe ties? Wondering if more skate toe distance from the bottom edge of the pad would give me a tighter Apex for the five hole. With the tight strapping around the top of the calf, the pad is still being held up in the right place and tight against my leg so the bungee is serving less of a purpose in that role, and in my opinion potentially pulling the top of my pads open while down in my narrow butterfly

Edited by Cool Runnings

15 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

Are there any of you guys swapping out the factory bungee for looser lace toe ties? Wondering if more skate toe distance from the bottom edge of the pad would give me a tighter Apex for the five hole. With the tight strapping around the top of the calf, the pad is still being held up in the right place and tight against my leg so the bungee is serving less of a purpose in that role, and in my opinion potentially pulling the top of my pads open while down in my narrow butterfly

Your toe ties on these pads will have almost zero effect on the thighrise. 

The toe ties purpose at this point is to help rotate the pad back into place when getting up, offers a connection point for control and stops your leg from going past the protection from the boot. 

That being said, absolutely replace the default Bauer bungees. They're garbage. 

• Like 1

Hahaha okay... Well I shall.  How so are they garbage?  And what sort of slack?  I've done about 4"on the toe ties before

And one last question... I think... Anyone squishing the pads down overnight to have a better top curve or break in? 

Edited by Cool Runnings

2 hours ago, Cool Runnings said:

Hahaha okay... Well I shall.  How so are they garbage?  And what sort of slack?  I've done about 4"on the toe ties before

And one last question... I think... Anyone squishing the pads down overnight to have a better top curve or break in? 

This mod I did/thread I wrote about it in may be relevant to you

5 hours ago, Cool Runnings said:

I went with the TGN Pro laces. Gives an inch slack and is a bungie cord. 

Sounds like you may have wanted the 3X line instead., 😉

14 hours ago, Cool Runnings said:

Good thread read.  I wonder if I can tinker with the elastics by creating a 1 or 2" lace loop thru the toe bridge holes, then loop elastic thru that, giving a bit of give then the bungie

This is what I use on my Ultrasonics. These are the TGN Pro Laces. 

They allow you to customize how much slack you want on your pads before the bungee takes over. https://prolaces.ca/en/products/pro-laces-armor-tgn

Keep in mind that even the default ProLaces are going to have more give than the stock Bauer bungee cords. I'd heavily recommend taking a look at their offerings and go from there. 

20230529_085058.thumb.jpg.e92ed46b694bfa72fb0cfc570f692873.jpg

• Like 1

How are you guys carrying the pads I’ve seen several suggestions. 

I tried something like this and it seemed to work well. Only hesitation is I’ve seen several sets of pads, mostly HL/3x with issues of the stitching coming undone on the professor strap anchor. Idk if over time with repeated load on the area if it will tear.  I just added a key ring metal loop and used my warrior carrying strap 

IMG_8851.jpeg

On 5/28/2023 at 1:58 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Your toe ties on these pads will have almost zero effect on the thighrise. 

The toe ties purpose at this point is to help rotate the pad back into place when getting up, offers a connection point for control and stops your leg from going past the protection from the boot. 

That being said, absolutely replace the default Bauer bungees. They're garbage. 

Agreed. My default Bauer bungees broke quickly, so I replaced them with old stretch laces I had from a previous pair of 2S Pros. I then got Pro Laces Armour as soon as I could, and now rock that. 

On 5/15/2023 at 4:22 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Right on dude. Glad it went well. 

As for the glove, it's a 75 break, but the closing method feels closer to a 590. Probably why you found the transition so easy. 

Debating changing the glove.  So, out of the box it's absolutely game ready, and I like the closure, feel, padding all.  EXCEPT, I hate the wrist strap.  It goes across at a diagonal and doesnt really secure my wrist.  The glove constantly feels like it's slipping off since the strap is more towards the middle of the back of the hand as opposed to the lower part which would have more secure feel.  Would the Vapor have the strapping I'm looking for?  I only play men's A and B so trying to stick in a certain price range too.  

Edited by Cool Runnings

3 hours ago, Cool Runnings said:

Debating changing the glove.  So, out of the box it's absolutely game ready, and I like the closure, feel, padding all.  EXCEPT, I hate the wrist strap.  It goes across at a diagonal and doesnt really secure my wrist.  The glove constantly feels like it's slipping off since the strap is more towards the middle of the back of the hand as opposed to the lower part which would have more secure feel.  Would the Vapor have the strapping I'm looking for?  I only play men's A and B so trying to stick in a certain price range too.  

The strap to the lower part is awful. It's better in the upper position. 

If you haven't seen this: 

Give this a shot. I tired it but gave up on it since I was already used to the upper connection point, but it may be a quick fix to get the feeling you're after. 

Vapour gloves come with a traditional strapping set up. 

51 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The strap to the lower part is awful. It's better in the upper position. 

If you haven't seen this: 

Give this a shot. I tired it but gave up on it since I was already used to the upper connection point, but it may be a quick fix to get the feeling you're after. 

Vapour gloves come with a traditional strapping set up. 

You guys are great thanks.  I might try that strap position.  Gonna look at a vape tomorrow and see if I should swap

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

How are you guys carrying the pads I’ve seen several suggestions. 

I tried something like this and it seemed to work well. Only hesitation is I’ve seen several sets of pads, mostly HL/3x with issues of the stitching coming undone on the professor strap anchor. Idk if over time with repeated load on the area if it will tear.  I just added a key ring metal loop and used my warrior carrying strap 

IMG_8851.jpeg

That's really clever. I thought about using the knee wing loops too, since I removed the knee wing all together.  Right now I just take an old bag shoulder strap with carabiners and route it through The Tune Fit harness and clip it together.

I do like your key ring solution though....