Switching from CCM to Bauer pads

Dan_32

I am currently wearing ccm p2.9 pads and they are completely dead. Sliding is very poor, and rebounds sit out right in front of me. I’m thinking about switching to Bauer pads, but want to try them out before buying since they are as different as pads can get. Does anyone know of any Bauer representatives or ways to Demo gear? Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Dan_32 said:

I am currently wearing ccm p2.9 pads and they are completely dead. Sliding is very poor, and rebounds sit out right in front of me. I’m thinking about switching to Bauer pads, but want to try them out before buying since they are as different as pads can get. Does anyone know of any Bauer representatives or ways to Demo gear? Thank you!!!

You will have to contact stores to see if they have Demo pads. Could also buy used and try it out first, find a deal. Maybe @coopaloop1234 is done with his 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ he loves his toy too much. 

I went from EF2 into a Vaughn V9 and now using a Hyperlite pad while waiting for my custom MACH (with the soft/hyperlite flex) set to come in.

I demo'd the Ultrasonic and found them way too stuff for my likings.  I like a flexible pad with very little torsional flex.

Hey Dan, where do you live?  I used to work for Perani's in Columbus OH and we'd get demo gear in once in a while.   It wasn't something we really advertised, you just had to ask an employee.     My point is that if you have a chain store near you, it might be worth reaching out and seeing what they have.   We generally sold the demo gear after the hype died down around the line, so if you're looking to try Hyperlite you might be right at the end of the window.

I will say that having used several different brands over the years, there is an adjustment with Bauer, but now that I've made the change I'm very happy in my custom Hyperlite (stiffness between stock HL and US) setup.  For me the biggest challenge was not having the extra length up top to help w/my narrow butterfly.   I like a 34+2.5 CCM pad or a 35+2 Warrior, so a Large Bauer is a little short up top for my preference.  However, the fantastic sliding, hot rebounds and consistency of Stabilislide make the Bauer's my go-to set over my Axis or EF5's.  

I don't have any advice on getting demo sets (I'd love to try a Mach demo set if I could), but I switched from P2.9s to a pair of 3S pads a little less than a year ago. I was overall happy with my P2.9 pads, but I was forced to replace them when they got ruined in a basement flood. I decided to try out the Bauers. They're a LOT stiffer, give much bigger rebounds, and are such much better and consistent when it comes to sliding. I haven't used Hyperlite/3X pads, but I'm sure the same would apply there too. Took me a while to get used to them and figure out strapping, but right now I'm really digging the set up. 

Oh, also, they pull the pay way up. So it makes the lack of additional thigh rise no longer an issue.

Edited by tgfoo

15 hours ago, Dan_32 said:

Hey @Dan_32... I've gone from EFlex to 2X Pro to Axis and have tried @ZeroGravitas's UltraSonics... and all that said... yes sliding and large rebounds are both better in Bauers generally speaking. I will say however that trying the UltraSonics I realized that for me, Bauers aren't the best for lower-level skates. @Chenner29 and I have talked about this some. For higher-level skates, I find that Bauers are great, in that movements are fast and predictable and muscle memory kicks in with bang-bang plays. Lower-level skates I find that a stiff pad can get clunky with a lot more movement than you would have in faster skates... sounds counter-intuitive I know but with slower skates I find myself changing directions a lot more and honestly... my hips take the brunt of that. 

Sliding is important... but to be honest... most plays you should be getting there on your feet... much more controlled and in a much stronger position to stop the puck. Good footwork will always trump a great sliding pad.

Axis for me had been a good in-between. They're firm enough for decent rebounds but have enough flex to have the familiarity of the CCM (Lefevre.) Axis 2 looks to build on that as well... although I think the jury is out on the 591 glove. All that said... Bauer is definitely worth trying but Axis 2 could be worth your while as well. 

13 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Hey @Dan_32... I've gone from EFlex to 2X Pro to Axis and have tried @ZeroGravitas's UltraSonics... and all that said... yes sliding and large rebounds are both better in Bauers generally speaking. I will say however that trying the UltraSonics I realized that for me, Bauers aren't the best for lower-level skates. @Chenner29 and I have talked about this some. For higher-level skates, I find that Bauers are great, in that movements are fast and predictable and muscle memory kicks in with bang-bang plays. Lower-level skates I find that a stiff pad can get clunky with a lot more movement than you would have in faster skates... sounds counter-intuitive I know but with slower skates I find myself changing directions a lot more and honestly... my hips take the brunt of that. 

Sliding is important... but to be honest... most plays you should be getting there on your feet... much more controlled and in a much stronger position to stop the puck. Good footwork will always trump a great sliding pad.

Axis for me had been a good in-between. They're firm enough for decent rebounds but have enough flex to have the familiarity of the CCM (Lefevre.) Axis 2 looks to build on that as well... although I think the jury is out on the 591 glove. All that said... Bauer is definitely worth trying but Axis 2 could be worth your while as well. 

Energy in is energy out, and IMO that applies two ways to a pad - rebounds and sliding.

If you want Bauers for big rebounds but doing low level skates, you're not gonna get the same pop off the pads

A fast sliding pad sells to me based on an efficiency standpoint.  If I need to put less effort into a slide it potentially means I'm fresher for longer

• Like 2

My two cents: I think a Bauer pad can be pretty devastating to the other team, especially at a low level. It'll kick out rebounds a little bit more than other brands, so at low levels where the opposing team might not be in the best position to pick up a rebound or not have their sticks down on the ice, a big rebound can help your defense get it out of your zone - or at least, immediate danger. At these low levels, getting into the offensive zone can be an issue so anything you can do to get it out makes it that much more difficult for the other team to enter the zone and get a shot on net.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

My two cents: I think a Bauer pad can be pretty devastating to the other team, especially at a low level. It'll kick out rebounds a little bit more than other brands, so at low levels where the opposing team might not be in the best position to pick up a rebound or not have their sticks down on the ice, a big rebound can help your defense get it out of your zone - or at least, immediate danger. At these low levels, getting into the offensive zone can be an issue so anything you can do to get it out makes it that much more difficult for the other team enter the zone and get a shot on net.

You have too much faith in lower level defensemen lol. 

You're not wrong about hotter rebounds giving lower level players more fits, but that's a double edged sword as it applies to your defensemen too. :P

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You have too much faith in lower level defensemen lol.

IMPOSSIBLE. I cannot have any less.

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're not wrong about hotter rebounds giving lower level players more fits, but that's a double edged sword as it applies to your defensemen too. :P

If I were a betting man, I'd bet it's easier to whack a puck out of the zone versus corralling a moving puck and putting it into a 6x4 space. It's all about playing the percentages, after all - right?

• Haha 1

Just now, ZeroGravitas said:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet it's easier to whack a puck out of the zone versus corralling a moving puck and putting it into a 6x4 space. It's all about playing the percentages, after all - right?

Problem is, once you put a rebound into a corner or half boards, you have to wait for them to actually skate there for them to try and clear it. 

That scenario in itself can be frustrating because you know full well you could beat your defensemen into the corner and clear it yourself lol. 

No PTSD here at all. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Problem is, once you put a rebound into a corner or half boards, you have to wait for them to actually skate there for them to try and clear it. 

That scenario in itself can be frustrating because you know full well you could beat your defensemen into the corner and clear it yourself lol. 

No PTSD here at all. 

I have a real bad habit going out there and then putting it in the gut of an opposing player. I try to stay home now.

@Dan_32What size are you? I loaned my size SR Small Ultrasonics to some other board members for them to try. If you're willing to foot the shipping bill (and maybe pay a deposit), I could send them to you, too.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

How are the Axis holding up? You going for the 2s?

11 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

That's why I like how hot the rebounds are on my 2S Pros. I have literally had shots bounce off them and go to or beyond the blue line without anyone else touching them. Knowing that my pads can clear the zone on their own is a relief, especially when playing with bad defencemen. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You're making the assumption that a lower level defenseman won't simply whack it INTO that 4*6 space.   Not sure why, guess you must just play upper levels...  :)

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

You're making the assumption that a lower level defenseman won't simply whack it INTO that 4*6 space.   Not sure why, guess you must just play upper levels...  :)

Both of you have a point. @ZeroGravitas is right that "out of the zone" is a larger target than the net. You are right that the defenseman could easily whiff and cause an own goal, or else score an own goal without looking where he is shooting. 

What I dread the most are rebounds that are just out of reach. They are dangerous, because I can neither cover them up quickly, nor trust that my D will get to them and clear the puck away or tie up the opposing forwards. Hard pads help prevent that type of rebound, because chances are that a shot with any speed will shoot off them beyond the slot and/or out of the zone. 

• Like 2