Slippery Tape...It Works!

havok

I come out of retirement and what do I see? The GSBB no longer active!! I was SO shocked LOL

I am happy to have found this place, and I see quite a few of you have also immigrated to here form the GSBB!

As mentioned after 4 years I am coming out of retirement to play Ball Hockey.  And man has the landscape changed! I was re-reading the original Slippery Tape...It Works! thread and the advancement to the sports is incredible! A bunch of small companies have popped up that provide goalies with Sliders, or plates etc. Just here in Montreal the sport has exploded! There are now Dek Centres, and Ball Hockey arenas! My six year old and ten year old are now in leagues, back in my day you played ball hockey because you couldn't skate! LOL

Here I was re-applying my slippery tape only to find that there are tons of people that are modifying their gear like McGowan Custom Sports, or a new Quebec company called Knapper, that release Ball Hockey specific gear...The costs are pretty crazy but in a few years when people actually buy them I'm sure it'll go down.

So my post here is to continue the GSBB thread, to have discussions about the latest Ball hockey gear! My first game is tomorrow, and I am nervous, I am "old" now, inching close to 40 :o

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2018 at 2:17 PM, havok said:

I come out of retirement and what do I see? The GSBB no longer active!! I was SO shocked LOL

I am happy to have found this place, and I see quite a few of you have also immigrated to here form the GSBB!

As mentioned after 4 years I am coming out of retirement to play Ball Hockey.  And man has the landscape changed! I was re-reading the original Slippery Tape...It Works! thread and the advancement to the sports is incredible! A bunch of small companies have popped up that provide goalies with Sliders, or plates etc. Just here in Montreal the sport has exploded! There are now Dek Centres, and Ball Hockey arenas! My six year old and ten year old are now in leagues, back in my day you played ball hockey because you couldn't skate! LOL

Here I was re-applying my slippery tape only to find that there are tons of people that are modifying their gear like McGowan Custom Sports, or a new Quebec company called Knapper, that release Ball Hockey specific gear...The costs are pretty crazy but in a few years when people actually buy them I'm sure it'll go down.

So my post here is to continue the GSBB thread, to have discussions about the latest Ball hockey gear! My first game is tomorrow, and I am nervous, I am "old" now, inching close to 40 :o

You can start by linking the damn tape on the McMaster Carr site if you have it hahaha.

Also, for anyone that has used this stuff in the past, how bad is the residue it leaves behind once removed and how hard is it to remove the residue?  I am playing in a roller tournament at the end of September and it will be my first time on wheels in close to a decade.  I never used anything on my pads when I used to play inline but after playing ice for so long I think I am going to need some help haha.

Wanna borrow my rollerfly instead (if you're playing on sportcourt)?  The tape will come come off and may require some goo gone or something similar to remove the remaining adhesive.  Would recommend only using in areas of concern for wear, where a main non-tape solution doesn't quite cover.  The tape is expensive for a temporary solution imo, but I will find a link.  Swear there's another thread with this info already. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-tape/low-friction-uhmw-tape-7/

Here's one I don't recall but would be better if the adhesive is better as the regular stuff tends to peel off on edges.  Even more expensive and again not worth covering the whole pad with, especially for a temporary solution.

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-tape/high-bond-low-friction-uhmw-tape/

43 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Wanna borrow my rollerfly instead (if you're playing on sportcourt)?  The tape will come come off and may require some goo gone or something similar to remove the remaining adhesive.  Would recommend only using in areas of concern for wear, where a main non-tape solution doesn't quite cover.  The tape is expensive for a temporary solution imo, but I will find a link.  Swear there's another thread with this info already. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-tape/low-friction-uhmw-tape-7/

Here's one I don't recall but would be better if the adhesive is better as the regular stuff tends to peel off on edges.  Even more expensive and again not worth covering the whole pad with, especially for a temporary solution.

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-tape/high-bond-low-friction-uhmw-tape/

It wouldn't be the whole pad,  just the sliding surface.  I am not 100% gung ho on buying the stuff but it is something I contemplated.  Thank you for the links.

I see that now.  I haven't ordered in 10+ years now.  Which is why I haven't suggested a thickness and glad you haven't asked lol.  I would email them and ask them if perhaps the backing is white and they have it wrong.  Mine looked like this but the backing was blue.  Or you can price check and order with grainger to be sure.

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/3M-Squeak-Reduction-Tape-WP113475/_/N-856/Ntt-uhmw+tape?EndecaKeyword=Umhw+tape&NLSCM=5&nls_boost_words=uhmw&searchRedirect=Umhw+tape&sst=subset&breadcrumbCatId=2175&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4CLY2_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Screenshot_2020-08-31-22-41-54.png

11 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I see that now.  I haven't ordered in 10+ years now.  Which is why I haven't suggested a thickness and glad you haven't asked lol.  I would email them and ask them if perhaps the backing is white and they have it wrong.  Mine looked like this but the backing was blue.  Or you can price check and order with grainger to be sure.

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/3M-Squeak-Reduction-Tape-WP113475/_/N-856/Ntt-uhmw+tape?EndecaKeyword=Umhw+tape&NLSCM=5&nls_boost_words=uhmw&searchRedirect=Umhw+tape&sst=subset&breadcrumbCatId=2175&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4CLY2_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Screenshot_2020-08-31-22-41-54.png

anyone every try this stuff on old ice hockey pads? Could it be like adding "speed skin"

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That is WAY too big for what I need lol

12"x60" It'll cover your pads for sure.  You won't have to set and align strips.  And it's probably a better price than the rolls.  I think it's your best option tbh if you're not gonna add slide plates or rollerfly.

2 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

12"x60" It'll cover your pads for sure.  You won't have to set and align strips.  And it's probably a better price than the rolls.  I think it's your best option tbh if you're not gonna add slide plates or rollerfly.

If I got from McMaster it would be a 3"x15' roll for $18.09.  That would be plenty.  Even if I went with the 6"x15' roll it would still be less at $33.82.  There is no way I need something that is a 1'x5' at $49.99.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 5:53 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Slippery Tape is in!  I'll try to start applying it tomorrow.  

Giggity

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

So I’m about to slap this stuff on.  Thinking I should probably prep the pad surface prior to doing this.  What can I use that won’t harm the jenpro?

Spit on it and rub it til it's shiny

Archived