RichMan's NOT so pro game highlights

RichMan

Well, well, well...after nearly 2 decades of media platform anonymity, someone, unbeknown to me, was able to capture footage of me in the wild doing what I do best (or so I'd like to think lolll) and send me a copy from their Youtube page.

Now before some of you go on a dismemberment rampage of my game, I will start with my OWN dissection and ease you into it, thank you.

First off, consider the following: I'm 53, have had my playing time and general sports training/conditioning severely altered by the damn plague as most of you have unfortunately. My lack of physical fitness is MORE than apparent throughout the game. Getting up from the ice by using my stick rather than a straight pop-up or single leg piston squat is a clear indicator. The times I get up on the wrong leg is NOT from bad technique but mainly trying to save my sore knees and ankles from the obvious strain. My butterfly flare is practically non existent (even Giguere is giving me the WTF!? face). My pic and slides are weak and I open up every time in ALL holes. My follow through and tracking is sssss lllll ooooo wwww, and my recoveries are just so last week. Only things I can say that looked great is; 1- my stance looks spot on even though we can't see it from the front. 2- I'm square for the most part and my angles/depth are fairly accurate. 3- I got lucky on more than one occasion with my Hasek type saves. 

To finish, I was trying to dial in my new chest pad that was annoying me at times, and I did lose 2 screws (literally, not from my brain) at the forehead holding the cage from the rocket at the hash marks (you can hear it well) but no damage to the user and dude was quite respectful in coming over to apologise and make sure I was ok.

Without further ado:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's a pain in the ass but need to start editing them videos. Another reason why I stopped, just too much time haha. 

Way to go though!

If I can learn how and with what, I conquer. The know how will surely help with the coaching aspect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I can sympathise with you. My team got creamed 11-3 yesterday. I was able to carry them to a first period ending score of 2-1 against, but in the second period, the other team got 5 goals. At least 2 were from uncontested chances in the slot. 

I promise much MUCH better action once I heal from my work injury and get the green light to get back to training and playing ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, johncho said:

Oh wow, I used to play out with Manshun's group. 

What nights do you play? I should come out to say hi.

I played for him maybe 2-3 times only so far, once at Sensplex West and once at Sandy Hill (video location). I haven't seen ice in 2 months, bad work accident. I'm hoping to start at least some light dryland conditioning sometime in September if possible.

He hits me up on Facebook now and then for an update. Nice guy, good group. Looking forward to my next drop in with them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I played for him maybe 2-3 times only so far, once at Sensplex West and once at Sandy Hill (video location). I haven't seen ice in 2 months, bad work accident. I'm hoping to start at least some light dryland conditioning sometime in September if possible.

He hits me up on Facebook now and then for an update. Nice guy, good group. Looking forward to my next drop in with them.

Good luck with your rehab. Hopefully you can soon be cleared to hit the ice. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your work accident. Here's for a speedy recovery. 

Only about 2 or 3 mins into the video but I am effing impressed; you look like you've been playing for a long time. Going to watch the rest of the video as time permits. Really nice to see film matched up with a goalie here. Thanks!

If you get a GoPro, editing is easy...or at least it was when I filmed stuff.

• Thanks 1

Don't be so harsh on yourself, being square and getting lucky is what it's all about 😋  Yea, the lockdowns had bad physical (and mental) affects on alot of people. For our age (40-50 and up) it's alot harder to bounce back after en extended time off. I "retired" from competitive teams and just play with "fun" teams now. Hard getting back into it for sure, gotta put in some extra effort and just have fun and roll with it.

Yea, download the video and edit the highlights, otherwise way too long. Great save at 09:51 tho 🥳

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:03 PM, Fullright said:

Sorry to hear about your work accident. Here's for a speedy recovery. 

Only about 2 or 3 mins into the video but I am effing impressed; you look like you've been playing for a long time. Going to watch the rest of the video as time permits. Really nice to see film matched up with a goalie here. Thanks!

If you get a GoPro, editing is easy...or at least it was when I filmed stuff.

I'm 53, got hooked on goaltending at age 7-8. Had a short hiatus between age 18 and 30 when I focused on serious basketball and competitive cycling. Came back and kept at it since. If the budget permited, I'd rent ice for myself just to work on my conditioning and fundamentals. It would help so much get back to level. I have a DJI Action Cam. Only tested it during some trail running. The footage above was not mine, I'm just one of the main actors :D, and yes, the owner uses a Gopro.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, estogoalie said:

Don't be so harsh on yourself, being square and getting lucky is what it's all about 😋  Yea, the lockdowns had bad physical (and mental) affects on alot of people. For our age (40-50 and up) it's alot harder to bounce back after en extended time off. I "retired" from competitive teams and just play with "fun" teams now. Hard getting back into it for sure, gotta put in some extra effort and just have fun and roll with it.

Yea, download the video and edit the highlights, otherwise way too long. Great save at 09:51 tho 🥳

Thanks bro. I am always hard on myself. I guess I'm still expecting the call-up to the Habs :P . I do admit, although I relish the competitive stuff, shinny with regulars is more laid back and fun. Hope you're doing good out there yourself. Or you're living the dream through your boys at this point ;) lolll

On 8/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, RichMan said:

Thanks bro. I am always hard on myself. I guess I'm still expecting the call-up to the Habs :P . I do admit, although I relish the competitive stuff, shinny with regulars is more laid back and fun. Hope you're doing good out there yourself. Or you're living the dream through your boys at this point ;) lolll

Yea, I'm doing good, just ramping down the hockey a bit. My older son found a Div.3 team where's he's happy. He wants to aim for Div.2, but only if he can find something without all the drama and politics. My younger son stopped playing hockey a couple of years ago and took up kickboxing and bodybuilding. He can probably kick my ass by now, so I just let him do what he wants, LOL.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, RichMan said:

If the budget permited, I'd rent ice for myself just to work on my conditioning and fundamentals. It would help so much get back to level. 

Maybe we can get a few Ottawa Goalies together and split some practice ice time. Maybe even with a coach/shooter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johncho said:

Maybe we can get a few Ottawa Goalies together and split some practice ice time. Maybe even with a coach/shooter.

I'm down with that, once i'm clear to play again. As a coach myself, I know what I'm supposed to do, and not, but another coach's eye can certainly help iron out the kinks.

I'll let you locals know when my time is here.

Thanks

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Yea, I'm doing good, just ramping down the hockey a bit. My older son found a Div.3 team where's he's happy. He wants to aim for Div.2, but only if he can find something without all the drama and politics. My younger son stopped playing hockey a couple of years ago and took up kickboxing and bodybuilding. He can probably kick my ass by now, so I just let him do what he wants, LOL.

Div. 3, that's cool. I hope he finds a good level, but politics are everywhere in competitive leagues. Looks like he'll be outdoing his old man soon. Next thing you know you'll be holding his autographed playing card ;) :D

Kickboxing and bodybuilding, nice. Maybe the next Dolf Lungren?

Edited by RichMan
  • Haha 1