HPG14A Fit2 vs Fit1

pd100x

Anyone on here have any info on how the ccm pro stock sizing works. I know they have 12a,13a,14a, maybe 15a. But, what are the differences between all of these. I know it’s not small, medium, etc. because there’s sizes within these 12a,13a,14a. Just wondering how to decide which would be best for me. Any help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, pd100x said:

Anyone on here have any info on how the ccm pro stock sizing works. I know they have 12a,13a,14a, maybe 15a. But, what are the differences between all of these. I know it’s not small, medium, etc. because there’s sizes within these 12a,13a,14a. Just wondering how to decide which would be best for me. Any help is appreciated!

What you're referring to aren't the sizes, but rather they're the models. Sizing is referenced by Fit 1, Fit 2, Fit 3 etc. 

The "a" identifies it as an Asian-made product vs. "c" which would be Canadian.

I believe the HPG12A was the last CCM pro stock pant that had the flatter thighs, before the rule change in 2017 going to the rounder thigh protection on the pants. Here is a video explaining some of the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGCjJAnI_mE

For sizing, they go by the fit number as @BadAngle41 said above.

Fit 1 = Small, Fit 2 = Medium, Fit 3 = Large, Fit 4 = XL. Sometimes you will see a +1 (or +1.5, +2, etc.) on the sizing (e.g. Fit 3 + 1) which refers to additional length being added to the pant. If you're a very tall but comparatively skinny goalie, you might want a Fit 3 + 1 where the waist fits like a Large but the length will be more like an XL.

HPG13A is where they changed the size tags, too. HPG12As have size tags with Small, Medium, Large, etc, with a waist measurement listed in inches. 13A and 14A use the Fit #s instead.

I believe quality/protection of the pants differ based on the league of the team that is ordering. I bought some 12As that were issued to the Portland Winterhawks and they were definitely less protective than my Texas Stars 11Ks.

CCM charges less too - $430-450 for HPG14A/C to an NHL team, $200~ for a HPG12A to a WHL team.

Unsubstantiated idea based on personal opinion and some personal experience here.

Let me start off by saying I'm not totally sure I agree on the Fit1=Sm  Fit2=Med Fit3=Lg statement.

• I normally wear a Large pant (34" waist); my Fit 2 CCM HPG14As fit pretty much identical to every other Large sized pant I've worn. 
  • I have not been able to fit in a Medium pant since I was in high school.  My last pair of pants was a custom Vaughn pro stock with medium length thighs.
  • @ZeroGravitas fits in a retail Medium and found my Fit 2 CCMs too big.  He doesn't like food as much as me

I believe the numbers designate an in-between for the standard size markers, so if we were to rank in order from small to large:
Small - Fit 1 - Medium - Fit 2 - Large - Fit 3 - XL - Fit 4

So maybe a more accurate descriptor is that a Fit 1 is a "small Medium" but labeling it as a "Fit 1" makes it less confusing.

Option 2

Since the NHL started measuring the players to get goalies in more form-fitting gear, the Fit system may also be what they settled on.
ie. if we take the Bauer pant size chart below, there's a 4 inch difference in one size.  Maybe this new system is a way to shave off 2 inches to get a more precise fit,  so your sizes go from say 32-34, 34-36, 36-38 etc.

image.png.dd97246f075ead90322d5d2989b9360e.png

Option 3

Outside of the + sizing on the thigh length as @Teezle mentioned, also possible that the smaller sizes (Fit 1 and 2) are *shorter* in the thighs than normal

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Unsubstantiated idea based on personal opinion and some personal experience here.

Let me start off by saying I'm not totally sure I agree on the Fit1=Sm  Fit2=Med Fit3=Lg statement.

• I normally wear a Large pant (34" waist); my Fit 2 CCM HPG14As fit pretty much identical to every other Large sized pant I've worn. 
  • I have not been able to fit in a Medium pant since I was in high school.  My last pair of pants was a custom Vaughn pro stock with medium length thighs.
  • @ZeroGravitas fits in a retail Medium and found my Fit 2 CCMs too big.  He doesn't like food as much as me

I believe the numbers designate an in-between for the standard size markers, so if we were to rank in order from small to large:
Small - Fit 1 - Medium - Fit 2 - Large - Fit 3 - XL - Fit 4

So maybe a more accurate descriptor is that a Fit 1 is a "small Medium" but labeling it as a "Fit 1" makes it less confusing.

Option 2

Since the NHL started measuring the players to get goalies in more form-fitting gear, the Fit system may also be what they settled on.
ie. if we take the Bauer pant size chart below, there's a 4 inch difference in one size.  Maybe this new system is a way to shave off 2 inches to get a more precise fit,  so your sizes go from say 32-34, 34-36, 36-38 etc.

image.png.dd97246f075ead90322d5d2989b9360e.png

Option 3

Outside of the + sizing on the thigh length as @Teezle mentioned, also possible that the smaller sizes (Fit 1 and 2) are *shorter* in the thighs than normal

I suspect the answer is more like:

Fit 3 is XL - arguably the size that most pros wear - they are big/tall/thicc bois and they need/want protection and to cover as much net as possible.

Therefore, Fit 2 is L, Fit 1 is M and Fit 4 is XXL.

This explains why you almost never see a Fit 1 - no one at the top-end is likely THAT skinny in the waist. There's a handful of Fit 2s out there. Never seen a Fit 4 pant, but maybe that's because no one is big enough to wear them under NHL size restrictions?

My current pants are an HPG11K that are marked as a Large, and @Chenner29's Fit 2 HPG14A seems a couple inches bigger in the waist.

On 1/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

I suspect the answer is more like:

Fit 3 is XL - arguably the size that most pros wear - they are big/tall/thicc bois and they need/want protection and to cover as much net as possible.

Therefore, Fit 2 is L, Fit 1 is M and Fit 4 is XXL.

This explains why you almost never see a Fit 1 - no one at the top-end is likely THAT skinny in the waist. There's a handful of Fit 2s out there. Never seen a Fit 4 pant, but maybe that's because no one is big enough to wear them under NHL size restrictions?

My current pants are an HPG11K that are marked as a Large, and @Chenner29's Fit 2 HPG14A seems a couple inches bigger in the waist.

I think this is a pretty accurate representation of the sizing. I just picked up a pair of HPG14As in a fit 2 and I normally wear a medium pant. I've have been comparing them to a pair of Premier 1.9s and Bauer Pros. The waist is definitely bigger than the Bauer Pros and maybe a bit bigger than the Premiers but I wouldn't say a whole lot. The one area where I really see a difference is length, it was the number one thing I noticed when I had them out for a skate, just a bit too long and they started to push my pads out. From the top of the waist band down the front of the leg I measured about 20.5" on the HPG14As, 18.5" on the Bauer Pros, and 18" on the Premiers. I don't have a pair of large pants to measure but I'd bet that the length would probably be around the 20" mark.

It's a shame because I really do like these pants. Just need to go on a quest now to find a pair of fit 1's that are in decent shape.

3 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

I think this is a pretty accurate representation of the sizing. I just picked up a pair of HPG14As in a fit 2 and I normally wear a medium pant. I've have been comparing them to a pair of Premier 1.9s and Bauer Pros. The waist is definitely bigger than the Bauer Pros and maybe a bit bigger than the Premiers but I wouldn't say a whole lot. The one area where I really see a difference is length, it was the number one thing I noticed when I had them out for a skate, just a bit too long and they started to push my pads out. From the top of the waist band down the front of the leg I measured about 20.5" on the HPG14As, 18.5" on the Bauer Pros, and 18" on the Premiers. I don't have a pair of large pants to measure but I'd bet that the length would probably be around the 20" mark.

It's a shame because I really do like these pants. Just need to go on a quest now to find a pair of fit 1's that are in decent shape.

Maybe they’re fit 2 +1” or +2”? Got a picture of the size tag?

14 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Maybe they’re fit 2 +1” or +2”? Got a picture of the size tag?

Fit 2 is the only box punched.

A pair of excellent condition fit 1s popped up on sls and I pulled the trigger. Hopefully these will be more in line with my other medium pants.

D8A6A66B-D164-48B4-8168-1ED622D21218.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Fit1s arrived today and honestly I can confidently say there's not a whole lot of difference between Fit 1 and Fit 2. The waist is definitely smaller on the Fit1s but length is exactly the same, coming in at 20.5" from the top of the waist band. They're a bit tighter around the legs which might be because they're newer but I plan on giving them a few skates before deciding whether I'll keep them or not. I like the length of my Premiers but I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're an outlier on the length.

Pics for comparison. Black are Fit 2, Blue are Fit 1.

image.thumb.jpeg.230e64a37fb94e428d9a8139816617d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5edb3588299eec943b65a3e05cecd8d2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecddda0d1b15f18d39808d590d1b41dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.901fa807d5534e1031690809c7a63ab4.jpeg

Edited by Phil1p33
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

There was some discussion of this over in https://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/7437-pro-stock-sizing-recommendation/ but I didn't want to hijack the thread so I though I'd move it here.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a pair of Fit 2 HPG14As off SLS. Everything I read said a fit 2 should be around a medium. When I received them I compared them against a pair of Bauer Pro's and a pair of Premier 1.9s, both in a medium. The Fit 2 was definitely bigger in the waist compared to the Bauers but on par with the CCMs. Where things really differed was in the pant length. From the top of the waist band to the bottom of the leg the Premiers measured 18", the Bauers at 18.5", and the Fit2s at 20.5". The additional pant length was a little different for me and I noticed a bit of interference with my pads from the pant legs when I was down in my butterfly, probably something I could get used to but I ended up finding a pair of Fit1s so I thought I would give them a shot.

Well they arrived today and honestly I can confidently say there's not a whole lot of difference between Fit 1 and Fit 2. The waist is definitely smaller on the Fit1s but length is exactly the same, coming in at 20.5" from the top of the waist band. They're a bit tighter around the legs which might be because they're newer but I plan on giving them a few skates before deciding whether I'll keep them or not. I like the length of my Premiers but I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're an outlier on the length.

Pics for comparison. Black are Fit 2, Blue are Fit 1.

Hi

This is actually really relevant to the thread in general, if it's OK with you I will merge your post there.

• 10 months later...

I got a new pair of 12A medium. Love them. Got a great price on 14A fit 2, they are NOT the same size. The waist is definitely a BIT more roomy. 14a can slide straight off my hips while the 12a will stay, also the 12a will sit about 1/2 inch above my knee while the 14A cover part of my knee. 

I had bought a 12a Large dirt cheap with the purpose to resell, but I tried them on just to see and the 14a fit 2 reminded me a lot of the size of the 12a Large. 

In general I personally like the legs on the 12a better but they are hard to find these days in medium. 

By what I am reading, I suppose the 14a fit 1 would be to long as well? 

I also noticed that between the two, although they are very close to the same pant design on the waist. The legs are different obviously with the rule change, the two pants sit on my hips different to, which could be aiding in the 14a being longer on my leg. 

Edited by Dietre
Double post

• 2 weeks later...