Optik 3 chest protector

Yzueblin

3 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

Seen this video on instagram 

for me a is the optik 3 chest with the vent in front of it 

new pant too ? 

007DFDE5-CE2E-465A-8C47-5E808FB3D8CA.jpeg

Can confirm there will be Optik 3 pants.

The chest is an absolute tank with rather decent articulation, no longer has the (re)movable neck piece, the arms are very padded throughout (I was impressed, I haven't seen such strong bicep padding on another stock unit), and the sternum piece is great.; there's not a huge softspot or "ah, that's where the stingers will get ya" spot I could find on it. The people that could fit into it that tried it on loved it and had full range of motion; I cannot recall if the arms were laced in/removable (perhaps they stuck with velcro from the Optik 2), but I think they were?

As is customary with Brian's, and a lot more chest unit these days, the strapping is very flexible.

Here's a couple more pictures of the Optik 3 chest, one from their social medias and one I took in person back in December (size pictured is a large):

image.thumb.png.45dd2932d9ff20aa1ef1a4440bbf9e12.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9ac782a7206ce794afd7d5820057ac88.jpeg

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 5

On 3/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, keeperton said:

Can confirm there will be Optik 3 pants.

The chest is an absolute tank with rather decent articulation, no longer has the (re)movable neck piece, the arms are very padded throughout (I was impressed, I haven't seen such strong bicep padding on another stock unit), and the sternum piece is great.; there's not a huge softspot or "ah, that's where the stingers will get ya" spot I could find on it. The people that could fit into it that tried it on loved it and had full range of motion; I cannot recall if the arms were laced in/removable (perhaps they stuck with velcro from the Optik 2), but I think they were?

As is customary with Brian's, and a lot more chest unit these days, the strapping is very flexible.

Here's a couple more pictures of the Optik 3 chest, one from their social medias and one I took in person back in December (size pictured is a large):

image.thumb.png.45dd2932d9ff20aa1ef1a4440bbf9e12.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9ac782a7206ce794afd7d5820057ac88.jpeg

Sad to see the adjustable neck go, that was one of my favorite features of the optik 1 and 2.

3 hours ago, keeperton said:

Note that I could be wrong and it could change by the time it hits retail.

I think it's both a good feature, but entirely unnecessary.

Those pics seem to show it is no more. However I’m surprised you say unnecessary. A lot of chests the neck sits way to low, so low a neckguard is the only padding some may have up there. With the brians this was never an issue because of the separate piece.

3 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Those pics seem to show it is no more. However I’m surprised you say unnecessary. A lot of chests the neck sits way to low, so low a neckguard is the only padding some may have up there. With the brians this was never an issue because of the separate piece.

Sounds like a fit issue. Most C/A's I've ever owned/tried on are easy to set up with proper coverage in the collarbone area. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sounds like a fit issue. Most C/A's I've ever owned/tried on are easy to set up with proper coverage in the collarbone area. 

Going to have to echo @coopaloop1234 here and say I've never had one that didn't provide some collarbone or neck coverage. If it's designed "right" that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this hitting the market. I'll be in the market for a new chesty, and will probably get either a Bauer mach, hyperlite, or this. I loved how beefy the optik 2 was while also having pretty decent mobility, but didn't love how the side rib pillow made the unit flare out. I'd guess they modified that area on the optik 3. There also look like loops hanging at the bottom of the shoulder floaters, maybe they'll link into the pants. Does anyone know if the optik2 used Bri-core?

I really wanted to like the optik 2 pant- again, really well made and beefy per usual with Brian's. But the pants felt really uncomfortable when I would bend over to tie my skates and put my pads on. Protection didn't seem like it would ever be an issue, just couldn't get comfortable. 

1 hour ago, old and stiff said:

I'm looking forward to this hitting the market. I'll be in the market for a new chesty, and will probably get either a Bauer mach, hyperlite, or this. I loved how beefy the optik 2 was while also having pretty decent mobility, but didn't love how the side rib pillow made the unit flare out. I'd guess they modified that area on the optik 3. There also look like loops hanging at the bottom of the shoulder floaters, maybe they'll link into the pants. Does anyone know if the optik2 used Bri-core?

I really wanted to like the optik 2 pant- again, really well made and beefy per usual with Brian's. But the pants felt really uncomfortable when I would bend over to tie my skates and put my pads on. Protection didn't seem like it would ever be an issue, just couldn't get comfortable. 

There was no Bri-Core in the Optik2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Brian's sneakily put this up on their website. From when I got to handle one, the highlights to me were the "Smart Blocks" straps, the belly flap (flexible, but also really protective), and the bicep protection.

https://www.goalies-only.com/product/optik-3-arm-body/

On 3/27/2023 at 11:38 AM, segfault said:

any details when this will hit retail?

I don't actually know, but I would guess between May and July.

Edited by keeperton

4 hours ago, keeperton said:

Brian's sneakily put this up on their website. From when I got to handle one, the highlights to me were the "Smart Blocks" straps, the belly flap (flexible, but also really protective), and the bicep protection.

https://www.goalies-only.com/product/optik-3-arm-body/

I don't actually know, but I would guess between May and July.

This may be the first piece of Brian’s gear I will own. 
It looks like it’s got the CCM style shin pad arms. Rest of the unit looks super solid too

@ThatCarGuy I think we’ve found your chesty 

E1B55D69-4735-4E3F-8A6B-A392480AAD4A.thumb.png.f20191f081c18d9705ac2f472d0444ec.png

47 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

This may be the first piece of Brian’s gear I will own. 
It looks like it’s got the CCM style shin pad arms. Rest of the unit looks super solid too

@ThatCarGuy I think we’ve found your chesty 

E1B55D69-4735-4E3F-8A6B-A392480AAD4A.thumb.png.f20191f081c18d9705ac2f472d0444ec.png

When I got to fuss with it in my hands the arms were tanks compared to most I've felt. I was really impressed by that and the out-of-the-box levels of articulation.

8 hours ago, keeperton said:

When I got to fuss with it in my hands the arms were tanks compared to most I've felt. I was really impressed by that and the out-of-the-box levels of articulation.

My impression of the Optik 2 was it was a Beefy unit, but lacked the immediate flexibility. 

Good to see it's improved a bit. 

On 4/20/2023 at 12:18 AM, keeperton said:

I've got an open inquiry with The Goalie Crease on availability...waiting to hear back when I can spec out and order

When/where did you see this beauty?

6 hours ago, netminder said:

It all "looks" very good, but the bottom of the Torso is over-engineered on this. The shaping makes zero sense and will be more prone to snag on internal/external pant padding or have very little lower front flex due to the "fang" shape the sides of it have now.. Why not just mimic the CCM bottom torso flap that almost every single Pro uses?

Completely agree. The CCM (sewn in), Bauer (removable on vapor), and Warrior (removable) body extensions are all great examples

21 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've got an open inquiry with The Goalie Crease on availability...waiting to hear back when I can spec out and order

When/where did you see this beauty?

Middle of December at a USA Hockey event.

10 hours ago, netminder said:

It all "looks" very good, but the bottom of the Torso is over-engineered on this. The shaping makes zero sense and will be more prone to snag on internal/external pant padding or have very little lower front flex due to the "fang" shape the sides of it have now.. Why not just mimic the CCM bottom torso flap that almost every single Pro uses?

I'm hoping to get to demo a unit, or at least put one on that would fit me, at the upcoming Tendyfest in Langley. The bottom torso pieces are not flimsy at all, but I have no idea how they'll interact while moving around or while wearing pants.

3 hours ago, keeperton said:

I'm hoping to get to demo a unit, or at least put one on that would fit me, at the upcoming Tendyfest in Langley. The bottom torso pieces are not flimsy at all, but I have no idea how they'll interact while moving around or while wearing pants.

Obviously we have no way to be sure until the unit releases...but if we use arm length as a baseline (which should be proportional to body length), this Brian's unit looks to be shipping shorter in the torso than the AB18Pro.

Here's a rough side-by-side - I cut the little half moon piece off the bottom of my CCM, based on pro returns floating around it looks like most guys are doing the same.

Perspective is a little skewed in these photos.  Using the neck opening as a reference, we are looking slightly downward on the Brian's and slightly upwards on the CCM.

If we really wanted to get crazy with it, I could measure the chest block height and count from the collar to bottom of unit on the CCM, and we could probably extrapolate what we know about block sizes on previous Brian's units...

image.png.405b7f7ece2483e8c89a11bf65fed735.pngimage.png.bc05c42533646a54abb56b4b614dbf0b.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Obviously we have no way to be sure until the unit releases...but if we use arm length as a baseline (which should be proportional to body length), this Brian's unit looks to be shipping shorter in the torso than the AB18Pro.

Here's a rough side-by-side - I cut the little half moon piece off the bottom of my CCM, based on pro returns floating around it looks like most guys are doing the same.

Perspective is a little skewed in these photos.  Using the neck opening as a reference, we are looking slightly downward on the Brian's and slightly upwards on the CCM.

If we really wanted to get crazy with it, I could measure the chest block height and count from the collar to bottom of unit on the CCM, and we could probably extrapolate what we know about block sizes on previous Brian's units...

image.png.405b7f7ece2483e8c89a11bf65fed735.pngimage.png.bc05c42533646a54abb56b4b614dbf0b.png

So I recently spoke to Brians about the length of their XXL sized version of this unit. I was told the wrist to shoulder arm measurement was around 23” and the measurement from top of the neck coller to the bottom of the pad was around 27” but they didn’t have a unit in the factory to 100% confirm it. But the body measurement on the XL unit which they did was 25”. 

• 2 weeks later...