Bauer 960 vs Sportsmask Pro3i

Does anyone have experience with both or either of these two masks?

I'm looking to upgrade and I want to get the best mask available. They're both about the same price.

How would you rate the protection offered by your mask (if you own one of them)?

Edited by boon

17 hours ago, boon said:

I'm looking to upgrade and I want to get the best mask available. They're both about the same price.

How would you rate the protection offered by your mask (if you own one of them)?

I own a 960 and it's been exactly what you expect for a top of the line mask. Very protective, great fit, highly durable. Never had any ringing in the ears, any issues with shock from a hard shot, or any structural damage. Thing has been great. 

Question for you, have you tried on both? Which one fits better? Which one do you find more comfortable? 

The protection between the two will be similar enough that you should essentially consider them tied and you should move on to which one fits best on you. Not only will that make you happier with the consistent use of it, it will also protect better. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, boon said:

Yes, I have used both. I personally like the Bauer better.

Here's the main differences IMO:

Sportmask will have less padding inside

Your face will sit closer to the cage in Sportmask

Sportmask will have better air flow (less padding)

Bauer has more foam in the liner

Your face will sit a bit further back from the cage

The one "flaw" of the current Bauers is that they abosrb most sweat than other competitors

Also, based on NHL testing, the Bauer finishes higher than the Sportmask. Most of the new higher end Sportmasks have the same innegra shell construction and foam liner, so assume this to be pretty accurate:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r274873/monthly_2022_04/10F7845F-4413-4D23-94D1-2599BA6E0E82.jpeg.5bc1f8ee82db3a92283204bc3a8e83bf.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I own a 960 and it's been exactly what you expect for a top of the line mask. Very protective, great fit, highly durable. Never had any ringing in the ears, any issues with shock from a hard shot, or any structural damage. Thing has been great. 

Question for you, have you tried on both? Which one fits better? Which one do you find more comfortable? 

The protection between the two will be similar enough that you should essentially consider them tied and you should move on to which one fits best on you. Not only will that make you happier with the consistent use of it, it will also protect better. 

This is a really important point, especially related to the choice between a Bauer and Sportmask--these two brands fit and feel very different.  I own a couple of each and toggling back and forth, you definitely notice the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

This is a really important point, especially related to the choice between a Bauer and Sportmask--these two brands fit and feel very different.  I own a couple of each and toggling back and forth, you definitely notice the difference.

To that point, I have a very neutral head shape. Some masks fit better than other... but, generally speaking, I can wear anything. So absolutely, if possible, go to a high end shop and get properly fit. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

To that point, I have a very neutral head shape. Some masks fit better than other... but, generally speaking, I can wear anything. So absolutely, if possible, go to a high end shop and get properly fit. 

Where as my head is only comfortable in Bauer helmets.

Sportsmask, Coveted, CCM, Warrior, etc. all have major pressure points that dissuade me from ever considering them as my helmet. 

So the advice for @boon to get properly sized/fit is something I'd parrot as well. Everyone's head is different, make sure the most important piece you wear is done correctly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Where as my head is only comfortable in Bauer helmets.

Sportsmask, Coveted, CCM, Warrior, etc. all have major pressure points that dissuade me from ever considering them as my helmet. 

So the advice for @boon to get properly sized/fit is something I'd parrot as well. Everyone's head is different, make sure the most important piece you wear is done correctly. 

I’m the exact same way I can only wear Bauer masks as well. I even had to switch from profile to nme when they switched the fit between the two. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I plan on trying on the 960 tomorrow, unfortunately I can't find a store near me with the PRO 3i in stock. I'd definitely go for the better fit, just wanted to see what sort of experience people have had regarding the two.

The Pro 3i fits a wider face than the Bauer 960 but will fit the same as the SportMask T3 model (except for the backplate) which may be easier to find. I posted about this just other day in the SportMask thread. I thought I’d need a size Large initially but the Medium fit absolutely perfect so do your best to find one to try on even if you have to order it by mail and return it.  

I also tried fitting the Bauer 960 and NME models (the latter of which is intended for wider faces) but neither was shaped to fit my face and I thought the weight was unbalanced compared to the SportMask. It kept wanting to fall down. Obviously it’s a great mask used to success in the NHL so this is only my experience. Bauer definitely has the thicker padding, which is how it gains it’s rating, but as mentioned by others, traps more sweat and keeps your face further away from the mask.

A poorly fitted mask will not protect you as well as it should and certainly not as well as the numbers in the recent NHL safety study.  With the mask on, when you shake your head it should not shift. When you tilt your head back it shouldn’t slide over your eyes.  A simple visual test is that there shouldn’t be an air gap between the mask and your temples.

Compared to the bauer, I find having my nose closer to the cage puts my head deeper in the mask which really increases visibility—especially down at my feet and peripheral vision.  I also chose a foam chin cup vs stock, for the additional padding and comfort.  I appreciate the safety factor provided by the crazy thick vertical bar on the SportMask non certified cage, and find the padding completely sufficient.  

Either mask will do you well if it fits, but the features are quite different and one or the other will “speak to you” as soon as you try them on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I'm shopping around for a mask as my older NME has done its job well over the years. Sticking with Bauer since i like my current fit and was eying the 960 as well. 

You might have to get a 960 as they now fit like the older nme masks did. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I’m in a Fit 2 NME VTX now, where does the NME One slot in?  

You’ll probably have to go to the 960. The NME ONE fits like the old profile 960XPM, and the new 960 fits like the old NME VTX.  

I went from the old profile 960xpm to the NME ONE because the new version of the 960 was to narrow for my head like the VTX was. 

Edited by Hockey34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've gone from a 960XPM to a Warrior R1 Pro to a NME ONE.  I loved the 960XMP but yeah I sweat a ton and that probably got 1lb heavier at the end of a skate, weight aside it's the safest I've felt in a helmet.  The R1 Pro I like but the thinner and stiffer forehead foam bothers me a bit, I like to know there's a bit more travel between me and an impact.  The chin is also a tad wider which can effect glancing over the shoulder, at least with my big RX3 Pro+ CA.  I still have it as office decor and backup if/when needed.

The NME feels like a great balance between the 960 and the older NME.  Cheeks have soft cushion which is nice but its not so thick that it turns into a space age squeegee, forehead foam is similar to the older NME with some softer where the sweat band is + a ridge which makes space for the sweat band and also creates a comfortable gap.  If I could change anything on it I'd maybe replace the forehead area with 960 foam but otherwise its super light, breaths extremely well  and instills confidence.  

The chin vents are pretty big so I guess you could say another downside would be possible paint/design limitations now the jaw? 

Edited by WONGER