New skates, time to panic?

Good to know as I just picked these up from Pro Hockey Life. CCM did not have my size in stock on there website and lucky for me Pro Hockey did and they ended up matching the online price as they still had them listed for $900. Going to get them baked and sharpened and hope to have them on the ice this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I have no used these skates 6 times and I have adjusted to the boot in terms of comfort but I just can't not adjust to the blades, I know these are a 3mm and my old skates were a 4mm. DonI have an option to switch back to a 4mm with these holders? Also I do not know much about profiling but the main issue that I am having is I feel that the toe of the blade is massive and it is hindering my skating, how I get up and my movement in the crease. What profile would help me most?

PXL_20230701_144450496.jpg

28 minutes ago, Novasteel31 said:

I have no used these skates 6 times and I have adjusted to the boot in terms of comfort but I just can't not adjust to the blades, I know these are a 3mm and my old skates were a 4mm. DonI have an option to switch back to a 4mm with these holders?

Step Black comes in a 4mm width for the XSG holder.

22 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Step Black comes in a 4mm width for the XSG holder.

Thank you, I don't know why I was having a hard time finding that. Now in regards to a profile will there be one that will give me a similar feel to what my Bauer skates had, as correct me if I'm wrong but they are slightly pitched more forward then CCM skates?

47 minutes ago, Novasteel31 said:

Thank you, I don't know why I was having a hard time finding that. Now in regards to a profile will there be one that will give me a similar feel to what my Bauer skates had, as correct me if I'm wrong but they are slightly pitched more forward then CCM skates?

Yes, Bauer goalie holders are pitched a bit more forward than CCMs in my experience. I think a Goalie SAM profile might be a bit more forward leaning too, but I haven't tried it before.

2 hours ago, Novasteel31 said:

I have no used these skates 6 times and I have adjusted to the boot in terms of comfort but I just can't not adjust to the blades, I know these are a 3mm and my old skates were a 4mm. DonI have an option to switch back to a 4mm with these holders? Also I do not know much about profiling but the main issue that I am having is I feel that the toe of the blade is massive and it is hindering my skating, how I get up and my movement in the crease. What profile would help me most?

I’m using the goalie sam and it does feel a little bit more pitched forward but not a lot, you can have them add more pitch if you want. But the 10 on the toe is really smooth in and out of butterfly. The 50 flat spot in the middle is really stable when shuffling. And the 27 in the heel is good when c-cutting. 

Any way I really like it, and it might not hurt to try it. 

4 hours ago, Novasteel31 said:

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-goalie-accessories-stepsteel-black-4mm-pair.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnf-kBhCnARIsAFlg492gvt06KaChVUWbHOyY8HNWfXPvKCq7GjdlhSkG054uewZHNxgVzLwaArsDEALw_wcB

On 7/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, Novasteel31 said:

Once you get the 4mm blade you'd love them. I can't adjust to the 3mm blade either. 

23 hours ago, Novasteel31 said:

Did you profile the blades as well or just left them stock?

I do a lot of toe pushing so i wanted some more meat on the front of skate I'm using 4mm step blade along with Detroit 2 profile and the movement is night and day. Like you i had the same feeling of my toe was catching the ice and i couldn't move that well. The DET2 took of some of the front of the blade and make me feel more like I'm putting pressure on the heel/midfoot and my toe of the blade can pivot and move without the catching feeling. I would suggest to go slow and see what works best for you, i know SAM is pretty aggressive in the toe area and it seems hit or miss for users.

On 7/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, xmikex32 said:

I do a lot of toe pushing so i wanted some more meat on the front of skate I'm using 4mm step blade along with Detroit 2 profile and the movement is night and day. Like you i had the same feeling of my toe was catching the ice and i couldn't move that well. The DET2 took of some of the front of the blade and make me feel more like I'm putting pressure on the heel/midfoot and my toe of the blade can pivot and move without the catching feeling. I would suggest to go slow and see what works best for you, i know SAM is pretty aggressive in the toe area and it seems hit or miss for users.

Yes I was wondering about the same profile as well butI wasn't sure which was more aggressive that being the Detroit 2 or the Same.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, Novasteel31 said:

Unrelated but make sure yours has the steel blade retention screw and not the plastic one.  Yours most likely have the steel ones, but on the cheaper CCM's they switched them over to the plastic screws.  One of mine on my old pair of CCM's snapped mid game and my blade kept popping out.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-hockey-accessories-speeblade-holder-parts.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqZSlBhBwEiwAfoZUIM0HigmnN5109ZIbaTsPZXaKz16ka4Ld0IK1tYhGONHTK_rczLkWqxoCfo8QAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, jerd31 said:

Unrelated but make sure yours has the steel blade retention screw and not the plastic one.  Yours most likely have the steel ones, but on the cheaper CCM's they switched them over to the plastic screws.  One of mine on my old pair of CCM's snapped mid game and my blade kept popping out.

Those plastic screws had a habit of coming loose/stripped. Embarrassing moments at retail: "Sure, I'll show you how it works. You just unscrew the dial and the blade comes out. Easy, right? Now, just hold the steel in place and rotate the dial again and it will lock right in. It's not screwing it? Wait, let me try. Wait, I got it. Wait, wait. Hmm, it's not rotating. Uhhh...."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Those plastic screws had a habit of coming loose/stripped. Embarrassing moments at retail: "Sure, I'll show you how it works. You just unscrew the dial and the blade comes out. Easy, right? Now, just hold the steel in place and rotate the dial again and it will lock right in. It's not screwing it? Wait, let me try. Wait, I got it. Wait, wait. Hmm, it's not rotating. Uhhh...."

You know what doesn't come apart unexpectedly and is only slightly more time consuming that all these quick releases? 

Basic hardware. Bring back failproof designs. 

20230705_093504.thumb.jpg.3cfe8f74e7360ffd5be0682c25b0e643.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Heh, better than mine snapping during warmups of an A league game.  Was stretching and blade went flying across the ice.  Other team knew what happened and were just firing shots from everywhere at me knowing the only thing holding my blade in place was my own weight on the skate lol.  I only let in 5 that game which I count as a win, considering the circumstances.  

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, xmikex32 said:

I ended up getting the 3mm blades profiled at 24/28 and dropped the sharpening down to 7/16 and it felt way better but the blade dulled out by the end of the skate it was really weird. Ended up talking to Tyler from Tydan and he got me a 4mm blade and profiled it at 20/28 should hopefully have it on Monday

16 hours ago, Novasteel31 said:

I ended up getting the 3mm blades profiled at 24/28 and dropped the sharpening down to 7/16 and it felt way better but the blade dulled out by the end of the skate it was really weird. Ended up talking to Tyler from Tydan and he got me a 4mm blade and profiled it at 20/28 should hopefully have it on Monday

I messed around briefly with 3mm blade and while the shuffling was awesome and effortless i felt like i couldn't get a strong push with the blades. i normally use 7/16 on 4mm and had to go even sharper on 3mm to get close to the same feel. I believe the Detroit2 profile is close to that, i cant remember off the top off my head and it feels so much better i feel like i wont catch my toe while moving around.

@Novasteel31 - late to the party here and there are some good points made after your inquiry. I'll throw in my two cents as well...

Is there rrreally that much difference between 3mm and 4mm - I mean what's a millimeters amongst friends? Granted - this is coming from a guy who only briefly flirted with 3mm steel.

I think the bigger issue at play is going from the feel of Bauer to CCM. I was long an old school Tack guy who jumped on the Bauer bandwagon for the One100/80/60 iterations and then stuck with Bauer for a few pairs before trying the new fandangled CCM Tack offering - black steel and all that jazz. Could not get used to the feel after multiple skates. I think its tough to boil it down to one thing when there were more than a few differences but the best way I can sum it up is that the CCM just felt... off/wrong/whatever. Switched back to a newer Bauer offering with zero issues on the transition. Might just be that CCMs aren't your spirit animal. Maybe this is helpful from a dude with a similar experience. Hopefully the different profile will work for you.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chile57 said:

@Novasteel31 - late to the party here and there are some good points made after your inquiry. I'll throw in my two cents as well...

There is rrreally that much difference between 3mm and 4mm - I mean what's a millimeters amongst friends? Granted - this is coming from a guy who only briefly flirted with 3mm steel.

I think the bigger issue at play is going from the feel of Bauer to CCM. I was long an old school Tack guy who jumped on the Bauer bandwagon for the One100/80/60 iterations and then stuck with Bauer for a few pairs before trying the new fandangled CCM Tack offering - black steel and all that jazz. Could not get used to the feel after multiple skates. I think its tough to boil it down to one thing when there were more than a few differences but the best way I can sum it up is that the CCM just felt... off/wrong/whatever. Switched back to a newer Bauer offering with zero issues on the transition. Might just be that CCMs aren't your spirit animal. Maybe this is helpful from a dude with a similar experience. Hopefully the different profile will work for you.

You could also be completely correct on the transition from Bauer to CCM skates as I have been in Bauer for over 10 years now but I was previously in CCM and Rbk skates. The difference in the blades was not as significant once I had the blade profiled but the biggest difference i noticed on the 3mm blades was the bite I would get on pushes in the butterfly 

37 minutes ago, Novasteel31 said:

You could also be completely correct on the transition from Bauer to CCM skates as I have been in Bauer for over 10 years now but I was previously in CCM and Rbk skates. The difference in the blades was not as significant once I had the blade profiled but the biggest difference i noticed on the 3mm blades was the bite I would get on pushes in the butterfly 

Another difference is the actual pitch of the skate. Ccm skates are more of a neutral pitch while Bauer and true 2 piece are more forward pitch. Didn't notice much difference between my true one piece and two piece with a ccm holder besides the 3mm steel on the 2 piece. I haven't tried a profile yet but I am also hanging a terrible time adjusting to toe pushes in the 3mm like others have mentioned. Otherwise movement around the crease is much easier in a 1/2" on 3mm vs 5/8 on 4mm. But the pushes and stops are softer. 

• Like 1

I've had a few skates now with the 4mm steel and what a difference, feels way more natural then what the 3mm steel was and I feel like i have more control and stronger pushes. The boot on the new CCM skates feels great, different then my Bauer's but certainly comfortable and now with the new steel I think they will be great.