Pads for narrow butterfly?

Sport2

I'm starting to look at some new pads to replace my decade old Vaughn velocity V4s. I have a narrow butterfly and the V4s I am using have a double break and are a pretty soft pad. More modern pads seem to have done away with double breaks, but are there any models that would be more friendly to someone with a narrow butterfly (probably something more curvy and flexible instead of boxy and straight)?

I think the closest you will find is new Velocities.  Reduced weight but still have a more traditional feel.  Otherwise best to check out Eflex line or perhaps Warrior GT2.  

Depending on budget, could always get someone like Kenesky to build a V6 style pad for you.

If you don't want to spend top dollar, you could look at Goalie Heaven's in house traditional pad.  Very V5 like and they sell for $1200 custom new.

• Thanks 1

Brian's optik2, ccm eflex, and warrior all have a significant pre-curve from factory. Bauer hyperlite, Vaughn velocities, and true px3/9x3 have a mild pre-curve. Ccm axis, true 20.2, and Vaughn slr, and Bauer mach have a slight curve but are mostly straight. That said, it really depends on what you're looking for in a pad. Stiff, soft, tight, loose, dead rebounds, or rocket rebounds. If you go custom you can pick different breaks internally. Here is a picture of the ef6 compared to hl2. 

PXL_20230425_184412860.jpg

Edited by Madmedic6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sport2 said:

I'm starting to look at some new pads to replace my decade old Vaughn velocity V4s. I have a narrow butterfly and the V4s I am using have a double break and are a pretty soft pad. More modern pads seem to have done away with double breaks, but are there any models that would be more friendly to someone with a narrow butterfly (probably something more curvy and flexible instead of boxy and straight)?

https://www.goaliesplus.com/c/goalie-pads/senior-goalie-pads/

Goalies Plus does special edition models with double breaks. They have eflex 5s on sale. They had Vaughn V9s as well but those must be getting replaced with a V10 version since I didn't see those on the site anymore.

Quick update: The new eflex 6 has double internal breaks and a single outer. Think Quick spec.

Edited by A.YOUNGoalie13
  • Thanks 1

I personally would not look too hard at the V10s if you're looking for the softest pad ever. 

It's a fair bit stiffer from the knee up from it's predecessors, and while thinned out still felt "chunkier" than the competition.

V9s would be a good option to look into though if you want that traditional Vaughn feel and play. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

https://www.goaliesplus.com/c/goalie-pads/senior-goalie-pads/

Goalies Plus does special edition models with double breaks. They have eflex 5s on sale. They had Vaughn V9s as well but those must be getting replaced with a V10 version since I didn't see those on the site anymore.

Quick update: The new eflex 6 has double internal breaks and a single outer. Think Quick spec.

Incorrect. Eflex6 is a single internal and single external stock. Double internal is custom only. 

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

IMO their special editions are the best. They don't just change the color they actually change specs so its cool that they offer additional pad styles.

It's also better than the SFS special editions we get north of the border where they will stiffen up the pad more. That goaliesplus spec sounds amazing but with shipping and conversion to Canada it's a non-starter for us north of the border. 

• Like 1

@Sport2 I'd consider browsing the web hard for another double break set or some well broken in single break from Vaughn or older Eflex models. If you are willing to go the new custom route, I suggest the following in order of less to more expensive:

- Boddam
- Battram
- Kenesky
- Brown

It's true that some pads today are pre-curved but sometimes you need that little extra angle on the thigh rise to close things up. My GT2s are angled but will never compare to the double break V3s I wore some 15-20 years ago. I don't have the best flare or 5hole closure despite my training efforts but I'm content at this moment with letting time break down my Warriors. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kayen said:

It's also better than the SFS special editions we get north of the border where they will stiffen up the pad more. That goaliesplus spec sounds amazing but with shipping and conversion to Canada it's a non-starter for us north of the border. 

Even with them being at the second price point?

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Even with them being at the second price point?

Doesn't make sense to me to pay $1400-$1500CAD for a second price point pad. 

Actually $2000+ off the shelf pro pads don't make sense to me either. 

In both cases why not just spring a bit more for custom.

• Haha 1