CCM 581 vs TRUE 580

Madmedic6

I have received my ccm custom set today and I figured I'd do a photo comparison of a 581 vs a 580. The lack of finger stalls is definitely noticable but we will see how it plays out. I feel like the pinky loop in the custom is bigger than the retail version as well. Range of motion in the new hand lock is very nice. 

PXL_20230720_214544526.jpg

PXL_20230720_214601620.jpg

PXL_20230720_214631936.jpg

Edited by Madmedic6
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Yes let us know how they play differently. I have a true 580 in the mail, but might return it if it's not everything True fanatics promised it is.

From my first skate in the ccm I can say it's is a much much different feeling glove than the true. The true is smooth and the break feels natural. The sure grip on the inside is nice and tacky when playing. The 581 just feels like I had a bump on my inner wrist. Inside didn't really have a grip besides the gigantic pinky loop. When closing it it felt like I was holding a hotdog bun in my palm, yes I'm fat and make food references. 😂. Also I feel like the 581 closed more like a warrior g6.1 than a true/ccm 580. 

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2023 at 7:51 AM, Madmedic6 said:

From my first skate in the ccm I can say it's is a much much different feeling glove than the true. The true is smooth and the break feels natural. The sure grip on the inside is nice and tacky when playing. The 581 just feels like I had a bump on my inner wrist. Inside didn't really have a grip besides the gigantic pinky loop. When closing it it felt like I was holding a hotdog bun in my palm, yes I'm fat and make food references. 😂. Also I feel like the 581 closed more like a warrior g6.1 than a true/ccm 580. 

yours is stock? Does it have 2 fingers loops or 1? I have an index and a pinky on my total custom pro

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

yours is stock? Does it have 2 fingers loops or 1? I have an index and a pinky on my total custom pro

Total custom pro

Pro palm

Single t

It had the index and pinky looks but that wrist pad really bugs me as it's puffy instead of flat like a 580. And I'll stand by what I said about the palm closure. It feels like you're holding onto a pole instead of just closing your hand. 

On 7/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, Madmedic6 said:

I have received my ccm custom set today and I figured I'd do a photo comparison of a 581 vs a 580. The lack of finger stalls is definitely noticable but we will see how it plays out. I feel like the pinky loop in the custom is bigger than the retail version as well. Range of motion in the new hand lock is very nice. 

PXL_20230720_214544526.jpg

I didn't even notice before that CCM has removed the concave shape from the thumb side, shows really well in the picture. That might or might not make some difference to the feel of the glove and catching the pucks too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 7:51 AM, Madmedic6 said:

I've got the 581 as well, and just ordered a 580 from Proskate in Calgary (skate lace, single T, pro palm) - should have it in a few days and I'm super curious to see how the two compare. The 581 was my first experience with any sort of 580 inspired break and I liked it quite a bit. First two skates were a big adjustment but by the third I was feeling quite comfortable. 

I didn't have the negative reaction to the wrist pad like you did, but I agree it's kind of prominent. The closure for me is getting flatter over time as I work it in more, but I hear what you're saying re: the hot dog bun, haha. Maybe not a whole bun, but possibly just the dog? (Nope, not gonna say wiener 😅)

Anyway, hoping the 580 ships shortly. I believe you said you were thinking about ordering a 580 too...did you ever pull the trigger?

#fullrightrules

7 minutes ago, froese said:

I've got the 581 as well, and just ordered a 580 from Proskate in Calgary (skate lace, single T, pro palm) - should have it in a few days and I'm super curious to see how the two compare. The 581 was my first experience with any sort of 580 inspired break and I liked it quite a bit. First two skates were a big adjustment but by the third I was feeling quite comfortable. 

I didn't have the negative reaction to the wrist pad like you did, but I agree it's kind of prominent. The closure for me is getting flatter over time as I work it in more, but I hear what you're saying re: the hot dog bun, haha. Maybe not a whole bun, but possibly just the dog? (Nope, not gonna say wiener 😅)

Anyway, hoping the 580 ships shortly. I believe you said you were thinking about ordering a 580 too...did you ever pull the trigger?

#fullrightrules

I ordered my 580 the week before delivery just Incase I didn't like it. Mine should be in by the end of next month. 

• Like 1

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I didn't think it warranted starting a completely new one. 

My ef6 580 arrived today so I thought I'd post some side by side shots with the 581. Initial thoughts are that I actually prefer the fit and feel of the 581 on the hand compared to the 580. I'm probably in the minority but I really like just the index and pinky finger loops and the flexibility that provides in terms of hand placement. Also, those cross fit system is awesome. As @Madmedic6 said, the "range of motion in the new hand lock is very nice."

Also, as @ArdeFIN mentioned above, the real major difference between these two, having them right next to each other seems to be the real estate between the thumb and the pocket which I tried to highlight in on of the pics. Meaning, there's virtually none on the 581 and it just transitions immediately to "pocket", whereas the 580 has more catching area between the thumb and the pocket. For people experiencing pop-outs when the glove is presented perfectly to the shooter (myself included), this is likely why. On a side note, Professional Skate Service in Calgary was nice enough to give it a bake and wrap it up before shipping which I thought was a nice touch. My 581 is very nicely worked in by now, but I can tell the 580 is going to take much less work to get it nice and buttery smooth.

Anyway, I really like the 581 but perhaps I'll like the 580 more! We shall see on Monday. And then what do I do?? Probably best to keep both, right? 😅

PXL_20230824_175623340.jpg

PXL_20230824_180454154.jpg

PXL_20230824_180522933.jpg

PXL_20230824_180742355.jpg

PXL_20230824_180742355b.jpg

PXL_20230824_180848434.jpg

PXL_20230824_181218768.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, froese said:

My ef6 580 arrived today so I thought I'd post some side by side shots with the 581.

I really cannot see 581 there but rather there are 590 and 580? What is the 581 supposed to be as I thought it was 580 with some new details.

Edited by ArdeFIN

42 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

I really cannot see 581 there but rather there are 590 and 580? What is the 581 supposed to be as I thought it was 580 with some new details.

I have a Vaughn V9 xp which is basically a 590 clone in terms of break, and I would say the 581 sits in between the Vaughn and the ccm 580. In terms of looks, closer to the 590, but in terms of how the break feels while you're wearing it, closer to the 580. The 581 is definitely unique. When you're wearing it, it's striking how different it is from the 580 and even the V9 in terms of the materials, strapping system, finger loops (or lack thereof), etc. I'm a fan, and still undecided which of the two I prefer - probably because the 581 feels more familiar to me relative to the Vaughn V9, but my guess is long time 580 users may feel differently. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 2:46 PM, froese said:

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I didn't think it warranted starting a completely new one. 

My ef6 580 arrived today so I thought I'd post some side by side shots with the 581. Initial thoughts are that I actually prefer the fit and feel of the 581 on the hand compared to the 580. I'm probably in the minority but I really like just the index and pinky finger loops and the flexibility that provides in terms of hand placement. Also, those cross fit system is awesome. As @Madmedic6 said, the "range of motion in the new hand lock is very nice."

Also, as @ArdeFIN mentioned above, the real major difference between these two, having them right next to each other seems to be the real estate between the thumb and the pocket which I tried to highlight in on of the pics. Meaning, there's virtually none on the 581 and it just transitions immediately to "pocket", whereas the 580 has more catching area between the thumb and the pocket. For people experiencing pop-outs when the glove is presented perfectly to the shooter (myself included), this is likely why. On a side note, Professional Skate Service in Calgary was nice enough to give it a bake and wrap it up before shipping which I thought was a nice touch. My 581 is very nicely worked in by now, but I can tell the 580 is going to take much less work to get it nice and buttery smooth.

Anyway, I really like the 581 but perhaps I'll like the 580 more! We shall see on Monday. And then what do I do?? Probably best to keep both, right? 😅

PXL_20230824_175623340.jpg

PXL_20230824_180454154.jpg

PXL_20230824_180522933.jpg

PXL_20230824_180742355.jpg

PXL_20230824_180742355b.jpg

PXL_20230824_180848434.jpg

Did the 580 from pro skate come game ready? Considering ordering one from there since its the only place with full right 580s in stock

7 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Did the 580 from pro skate come game ready? Considering ordering one from there since its the only place with full right 580s in stock

Pro palm, but game ready feel as they say on their site, which when I talked to them meant they've baked it once and wrapped it prior to delivery like you can see in my first pic. It was decent out of the box but I had it baked one more time and did the usual break in stuff. But yeah I'd say it was pretty decent when it arrived considering it's a pro palm. 

Screenshot_20230910-084845.png

3 hours ago, froese said:

Pro palm, but game ready feel as they say on their site, which when I talked to them meant they've baked it once and wrapped it prior to delivery like you can see in my first pic. It was decent out of the box but I had it baked one more time and did the usual break in stuff. But yeah I'd say it was pretty decent when it arrived considering it's a pro palm. 

Screenshot_20230910-084845.png

Thanks for the details. Might jump on one of these before they go out of stock

18 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Thanks for the details. Might jump on one of these before they go out of stock

I'd say go for it. Full right options/in stock are pretty rare as you know so if you're already leaning towards the 580 it's hard to resist. Pretty happy with mine so far - the one thing I wish they had done was brought over the crossform strapping that my 581 has. But mines got a good closure and adjusting from a 590 has been pretty effortless. 

1 hour ago, froese said:

I'd say go for it. Full right options/in stock are pretty rare as you know so if you're already leaning towards the 580 it's hard to resist. Pretty happy with mine so far - the one thing I wish they had done was brought over the crossform strapping that my 581 has. But mines got a good closure and adjusting from a 590 has been pretty effortless. 

Yeah I really want to. Should"ve ordered a practice with my vapor 90 but oh well. This is essentially the same thing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, froese said:

See!!! I made that comment about the cross form strap as well. Half tempted to send my ccm 580 and 581 out when it gets in and have a shop swap the cross form strap into the 580. But have  since gone back to my true 580 while waiting for my ccm 580 and all my issue have resolved. 

1 hour ago, Madmedic6 said:

See!!! I made that comment about the cross form strap as well. Half tempted to send my ccm 580 and 581 out when it gets in and have a shop swap the cross form strap into the 580. But have  since gone back to my true 580 while waiting for my ccm 580 and all my issue have resolved. 

Haha, yes I completely agree! I wonder if that could actually be swapped, that would be amazing. The internal strapping in the 581 feels so good - when you have it dialed in the glove is an extension of your hand compared to the 580 which always feels like it's kind of sloshing around and loose. But that thing really does swallow up pucks. I've had one practice and a game with it, and for me at least, the 580 hype is real. When's yours arriving? 

3 hours ago, froese said:

Haha, yes I completely agree! I wonder if that could actually be swapped, that would be amazing. The internal strapping in the 581 feels so good - when you have it dialed in the glove is an extension of your hand compared to the 580 which always feels like it's kind of sloshing around and loose. But that thing really does swallow up pucks. I've had one practice and a game with it, and for me at least, the 580 hype is real. When's yours arriving? 

Was quoted 10-12 weeks. Currently at week 8. :/

• Sad 1