CCM 2024 - Axis XF Pro

ZeroGravitas

31 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just felt one today and if it's anything close to that you're in for a treat

Well this is excellent news...do tell. How does it compare to the Axis 2 you've been using?

7 minutes ago, froese said:

Well this is excellent news...do tell. How does it compare to the Axis 2 you've been using?

Closure is different feeling but this is quite possibly the first actual game ready ccm I've ever put on. Completely forgot that it only had a pinky and index loop and not actual stalls

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Closure is different feeling but this is quite possibly the first actual game ready ccm I've ever put on. Completely forgot that it only had a pinky and index loop and not actual stalls

Nice. Well, I will provide full feedback when mine arrives. Based on your impressions I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

21 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Did you get a chance to use it, or even throw a puck or a ball into it? Or was this strictly trying it on in a store...

7 hours ago, froese said:

Did you get a chance to use it, or even throw a puck or a ball into it? Or was this strictly trying it on in a store...

Strictly trying on. The flat fingers do worry me a little but it's on par with bauer off the shelf 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 12:04 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Strictly trying on. The flat fingers do worry me a little but it's on par with bauer off the shelf 

Glove has arrived early! Here's some pics right out of the box. First impressions are that it is WAY more comfortable than the original Axis 2 591 and the ef6 581. No issue getting my hand in, and that crazy thumb angle is gone. The internals are much softer and feels really nice. Finger loops are also greatly improved from a comfort and fit standpoint. Crossform strapping is as you'd expect, really nice fit. The palm "bump" has been reduced and doesn't feel awkward. The glove backside is loose and doesn't restrict closure. 

Not impossible to close, but absolutely needs to be baked, worked in, and properly shaped. I've got some work to do. 

Final question...is this the pro or senior version? This is a warranty claim and I stipulated I wanted the Axis XF Pro, but that was back in the fall. Have they dropped "Pro"? Or did I I get stuck with the senior model?

PXL_20240309_155301311.jpg

PXL_20240309_155249565.jpg

PXL_20240309_155432002.jpg

PXL_20240309_155330309.jpg

PXL_20240309_155322604.jpg

PXL_20240309_155400690.jpg

PXL_20240309_155339482.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, froese said:

Final question...is this the pro or senior version? This is a warranty claim and I stipulated I wanted the Axis XF Pro, but that was back in the fall. Have they dropped "Pro"? Or did I I get stuck with the senior model?

That's the Pro. Mid-level is called the F9 and the lowest is called F5.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Now that's a nice looking glove. Awesome! Let us know how the break-in process goes. Which methods do you try?

It definitely has potential and is an improvement over the previous model!

Methods are pretty straightforward. Wrapped closed with a ball in the pocket and butt end in the palm, and tied further down towards the wrist to try and properly shape the closure near the bottom of the palm, and then spread open with a butt end. (The end of that sentence just sounds wrong).

Next will be baking it, and then tying it shut again. Rinse and repeat!

PXL_20240309_183748616.thumb.jpg.418b3216e2071eb3025ee33bb4286aea.jpgPXL_20240309_183016880.thumb.jpg.7a9d1249cbaba37ff60889caf72b7514.jpg

14 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Yours is already better than the one I tried! Tee closure especially is much better

The proof will be in actually using it, but if this glove turns out to be bad it won't be because it won't close or can't be worked in properly! Haha. 

I finally got to take this out for a spin tonight and it may actually be an incredible glove. The pocket is great, fit is fantastic, and it funnels pucks. Pocket presence and where it sits in space really matches my natural hand position. It's still early, but my initial impressions are super positive. 

PXL_20240314_044626757.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know where to post this but I am considering ordering an Axis XF Pro Custom set when it drops. I currently own a set of True Catalyst 7x3 pads, and I love them, but I am looking for something a little lighter. I looked at a set of CCM Eflex 6 pads in store and they seem pretty light but I don’t like how soft they are and how they sit on the skate. I was also looking at the new Bauer Shadow set but it seems like it would be too heavy. Any suggestions on what I should get or any new specs that aren’t public?

2 hours ago, Molitygri said:

Don’t know where to post this but I am considering ordering an Axis XF Pro Custom set when it drops. I currently own a set of True Catalyst 7x3 pads, and I love them, but I am looking for something a little lighter. I looked at a set of CCM Eflex 6 pads in store and they seem pretty light but I don’t like how soft they are and how they sit on the skate. I was also looking at the new Bauer Shadow set but it seems like it would be too heavy. Any suggestions on what I should get or any new specs that aren’t public?

Gonna be honest, the weight differences in pads these days really are negligible. Generally a pro level pad (like the eflex 6) will probably be lighter than an intermediate or senior level pad (like a 7X3) just due to different materials being used. But between pro level pads the weight differences are so minor that it really shouldn’t be something that you focus on. Just get pads that you like the feel of/how they play.

That being said, if you really care, generally Warrior makes the lightest gear, followed by the hyperlite line by Bauer.

3 hours ago, Molitygri said:

47 minutes ago, Toobs said:

Gonna be honest, the weight differences in pads these days really are negligible. Generally a pro level pad (like the eflex 6) will probably be lighter than an intermediate or senior level pad (like a 7X3) just due to different materials being used. But between pro level pads the weight differences are so minor that it really shouldn’t be something that you focus on. Just get pads that you like the feel of/how they play.

That being said, if you really care, generally Warrior makes the lightest gear, followed by the hyperlite line by Bauer.

I would agree with this. I've been using my eflex 6 set all year and just got a set of px3's and I honestly can't tell which pair is lighter. They're nearly identical. 

So at this point I think it come down to fit and feel and what works best with your game.

But yeah I'm looking forward to checking out the axis xf pads as well. 

53 minutes ago, Molitygri said:

Ok thanks. Btw how’s the Axis XF glove? How would it compare to a True Catalyst PX3 580 for example?

I'm really liking it, and am using it full time now. It's very different than a 580 though. I had an Eflex 6 580 and I loved the large pocket and how it sucked up pucks, but it felt big and cumbersome to me and I couldn't completely get used to it so I sold it. Right now I have the True L20.2 590 and the Axis XF (which is an evolution of the 590). They're very similar in break angle and pocket shape, but the Axis has the new CCM backhand and index and pinky finger loops and crossform strap. The break is also more of a crease as opposed to the traditional popsicle stick 2 edged break, and it takes some care to break it in properly. Overall I think it's awesome. Really comfortable, and in general I would call the Axis XF "softer" than the True. It just catches really well. 

More broadly, this glove is a massive improvement over the Eflex 6 581 (which I owned) and the Axis 2 591, which were sort of 1st gen versions of this new CCM glove design. As an example, the thumb angle has been fixed so you get less pop outs, and the internals feel much better. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good and I'll be curious to see how it's received once more people start using them. 

Edited by froese
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Molitygri said:

When will the All Out Customizer be available for the public?

The all out customizer is the same as the regular customizer with less areas to select colors due to print areas being done by the rendering by ccm after the order is placed through a dealer.