CCM 2024 - Axis XF Pro

ZeroGravitas

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

Nice set ! 

did you know if you take max rebound or infinite rebound affect the stiffness of the pads? 

According to the custom options PDF, Max Rebound has a "X-Stiff" comment next to it. I got Infinite Power on mine so I can't compare stiffness to the stock pad.

Stiffness.thumb.png.57a08d2f34024f8b2f1a921c64d91e23.png

44 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

According to the custom options PDF, Max Rebound has a "X-Stiff" comment next to it. I got Infinite Power on mine so I can't compare stiffness to the stock pad.

Stiffness.thumb.png.57a08d2f34024f8b2f1a921c64d91e23.png

Oh thank I saw some stock pads and I’ve love the stiffness. Not soft but not mach stiff 

im curious about how rebound go!! Let us know 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 7:28 PM, Chenner29 said:

Lifted from the InGoalMag review on CCM Axis XF.  Emphasis mine.

Source:

https://ingoalmag.com/ccm-axis-xf-review/

The Axis pad looks great. Good to see CCM trying to please instead of telling us what to believe. 

There was a line in there about how the pads have less surface area in the sliding surface to "reduce friction" and my old physics professor would be rolling in his grave if I didn't call that BS. A lot of brands falsely claim to reduce friction with less surface area, even my first true love of goalie pads (Warrior with the ridiculous air channels). Simply reducing surface area without changing the weight or surface texture will have very close to nil impact. 

The force that makes it difficult for one object to slide along the surface of another or to move through a liquid or gas:

-Cambridge Dictionary

While a little more complex than this, basically Friction force is calculated by gravity, the angle of the surface, and the textures of the surfaces. Think about it. If I'm standing on two feet in shoes, I'm pushing down on the floor with 155 lbs (70kg for my metric friends, and yes I'm a small fry) equally divided between my two feet. If you attempt to slide me across the floor, you have to exert enough force to overcome the friction created the 155 lbs of gravity and the grippy surface of my shoes. Now, ff I life one foot up (REDUCING FRICTION BY 1/2!!! -CMM/WARRIOR R&D) will it get any easier to slide me? Nope! Same weight, now just concentrated into a smaller surface area, but the extra gravity concentrated in that smaller area pushes down harder creating greater friction force, equal to the combined friction forces of booth feet down. No change. Now, if I take off my shoes and I just have socks on a hardwood floor, NOW we're reducing friction by changing the quality of the surfaces in contact and obviously, much easier to move me on the floor, whether I have one or both feet down it will be the same. 

This is way what makes the Xf pad slide better than the axis was getting rid of that awful speedskin and not the tiny reduction in surface area. 

Okay nerd rant done. Can't help it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

. A lot of brands falsely claim to reduce friction with less surface area, even my first true love of goalie pads (Warrior with the ridiculous air channels).

Thankfully those are completely absent now. I found no difference sliding in my GT2's and G5's. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, WizYuan said:

How long was everyone's wait times? I'm on the second half of waiting for my TCP set, so curious about how long it took from order to delivery.

I'd say 2 months but whomever ordered this particular set can tell us. 

On 7/9/2024 at 9:30 AM, WizYuan said:

How long was everyone's wait times? I'm on the second half of waiting for my TCP set, so curious about how long it took from order to delivery.

Placed my TCP order on 4/20. Got it 6/10, just over 7 weeks.

They originally quoted me a delivery date of 6/28 - basically 10 weeks. But my store was having a oalie weekend/sale event 6/27 to 6/30 and I asked CCM if they could bump it up so I could have time to skate in them, get enough of a feel for them to answer customer questions and to show certain specs to customers (super tight fit leg channel, 580 break catcher, pro palm).

4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Placed my TCP order on 4/20. Got it 6/10, just over 7 weeks.

They originally quoted me a delivery date of 6/28 - basically 10 weeks. But my store was having a oalie weekend/sale event 6/27 to 6/30 and I asked CCM if they could bump it up so I could have time to skate in them, get enough of a feel for them to answer customer questions and to show certain specs to customers (super tight fit leg channel, 580 break catcher, pro palm).

For the love of god though I can't figure out these toe bridge skate lace...there is either too much lace or too much give to the bungee.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

For the love of god though I can't figure out these toe bridge skate lace...there is either too much lace or too much give to the bungee.

The new one, right? I hate it too. I think the bungee/velcro part itself is way too long.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 8:37 AM, IpaddyTECH said:

The Axis pad looks great. Good to see CCM trying to please instead of telling us what to believe. 

There was a line in there about how the pads have less surface area in the sliding surface to "reduce friction" and my old physics professor would be rolling in his grave if I didn't call that BS. A lot of brands falsely claim to reduce friction with less surface area, even my first true love of goalie pads (Warrior with the ridiculous air channels). Simply reducing surface area without changing the weight or surface texture will have very close to nil impact. 

The force that makes it difficult for one object to slide along the surface of another or to move through a liquid or gas:

-Cambridge Dictionary

While a little more complex than this, basically Friction force is calculated by gravity, the angle of the surface, and the textures of the surfaces. Think about it. If I'm standing on two feet in shoes, I'm pushing down on the floor with 155 lbs (70kg for my metric friends, and yes I'm a small fry) equally divided between my two feet. If you attempt to slide me across the floor, you have to exert enough force to overcome the friction created the 155 lbs of gravity and the grippy surface of my shoes. Now, ff I life one foot up (REDUCING FRICTION BY 1/2!!! -CMM/WARRIOR R&D) will it get any easier to slide me? Nope! Same weight, now just concentrated into a smaller surface area, but the extra gravity concentrated in that smaller area pushes down harder creating greater friction force, equal to the combined friction forces of booth feet down. No change. Now, if I take off my shoes and I just have socks on a hardwood floor, NOW we're reducing friction by changing the quality of the surfaces in contact and obviously, much easier to move me on the floor, whether I have one or both feet down it will be the same. 

This is way what makes the Xf pad slide better than the axis was getting rid of that awful speedskin and not the tiny reduction in surface area. 

Okay nerd rant done. Can't help it. 

It's marketing mumbo jumbo.  It goes back to the Vaughn V2 with tiger stripes on the sliding surface.
The stripes were quickly dismissed by pro customers who opted for flat material.  IIRC, Vaughn made a mid-model run change where they removed this as an option entirely.

image.png.8986d980a45aaf0f0ab3d81e0f462cd3.png

Ask anyone who has put on PPF on the sliding surface of their pads.
Adding PPF is universally accepted to increase slide without the removal of surface area. One tiny layer of material was added that is extremely water-repellant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The new one, right? I hate it too. I think the bungee/velcro part itself is way too long.

Yes, soooo annoying. I tried a demo set tonight. Had to make a hundred loops for it to work some how. Pads definitely slide better than the Axis 2. 

22 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

It's marketing mumbo jumbo.  It goes back to the Vaughn V2 with tiger stripes on the sliding surface.
The stripes were quickly dismissed by pro customers who opted for flat material.  IIRC, Vaughn made a mid-model run change where they removed this as an option entirely.

image.png.8986d980a45aaf0f0ab3d81e0f462cd3.png

Ask anyone who has put on PPF on the sliding surface of their pads.
Adding PPF is universally accepted to increase slide without the removal of surface area. One tiny layer of material was added that is extremely water-repellant.

That's hilarious about the vaughn pads! I totally forgot about ppf, which is funny because I use that on my pads. It's all about the interaction of the surfaces in contact, not surface area. The interaction of PPF and ice is more slippery than a friend who owes you money.  😎

6 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That's hilarious about the vaughn pads! I totally forgot about ppf, which is funny because I use that on my pads. It's all about the interaction of the surfaces in contact, not surface area. The interaction of PPF and ice is more slippery than a friend who owes you money.  😎

Yo, can you spot me $20? 

• Haha 1