Have any of you done the Patrick Roy mod to your pants+chest protector?

35RoloSmith41

For people who don’t know, I guess he would attach his pants and chest protector from the back. He had a little clip to keep them together. 

I’ve been wearing my chest protector pretty loose and got hit in the arm trying out the panda. Seems like if I want it to still be loose and actually protect my body, I need the Patrick Roy mod. 

Here's a few different ways I had a picture of.

I had to add extra loops of nylon as the loops readily on the backprotection were too low to make any useful elastic connect.

image010.thumb.jpg.4126415ec0188196c28f4c03a5198f05.jpg

The easier way is when you can just add some elastic cord, adjust the length and good to go. Using multiple cords makes the elastic loop stiffer which you need to try and find your best setup too. I've found four loops to be useable starting from two - three and four is good. I think I've never tried how it would do with even more loops.

Also the length of the loop naturally has effect on the stiffness of the elastic.

backstrap_CCM.jpg.96530c39c9c0715dea77e3694ab2eb8d.jpg

Then if you tuck you might want the loop on your pants to be inside the waist protection so that the C/A doesn't fight the back protection of the pants. And for untucked use the loop on the outside, where most pants have a loop already to hang them up to dry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, 35RoloSmith41 said:

For people who don’t know, I guess he would attach his pants and chest protector from the back. He had a little clip to keep them together. 

I’ve been wearing my chest protector pretty loose and got hit in the arm trying out the panda. Seems like if I want it to still be loose and actually protect my body, I need the Patrick Roy mod. 

Been doing this for years now, didn't know this was a Roy mod. He was/is my favourite goalie. I was a tucked suspenders over  chest guy for years, decades even and 7 years ago I custome ordered a Brians chest, pants and gloves. I switched to chest over pants and struggled with getting used to it until a used a carabiner through the back loop of the chest and connected it to belt of my pants. Suspenders under the chesty. I did this mainly to keep the height of the chest and keep the mid section away from my belly which prevents shot to body leakage. 

Edited by Frenchforwin

have this on all my C/A every since I had a Passau with the clip. Feel naked without it.

I like my gear tight to the body and it helps pull the chesty up and sqaure and keep the pants from sagging to much without suspenders. lots of recent pro stock chests have it, Vaugh and CCM notably.

Edited by Urabus33