Best HR Monitor for Hockey

I’m interested in potentially doing some fitness tracking to understand how good a workout hockey is. 

I’ve tried a Fitbit with HR and obviously the wrist is a bad location. 

An HR monitor freaks me out a bit because of the location of the tracker over the heart. 

Anyone? @Joe Messina you or any of your pros ever do testing like this?

Polar was always my favourite HR monitor. I used to use one that you could download to your computer. Of course we’re talking dial up internet era with cool bikes; now it’s smartphones and UCI-compliant bikes. I had to send my HR data to my coach, which my old Polar did that very well. Heck- I don’t know if Polar makes top-tier HRM’s any longer.

The most accurate HRM always measures from the chest, at least back in my day. Who knows? That may have changed...    

I think what you would find astonishing in measuring with a good, comprehensive HR monitoring method is the amount of anaerobic workload a goalie gets in a typical game. If I were to ever get super-serious, I would probably get back on the bike and do what I did for sprint training, doing :30 intervals at 85% max HR. Yes, our anaerobic intervals playing goal last a LOT longer than that, but you would be resting for 1-2 minutes. There is also an EXCELLENT 30 minute treadmill workout that always was my go to. I would defer to a certified goalie coach, but I imagine interval training for goalie would not be all that different. 

HR monitoring for hockey has so much more potential than just to show how good of a workout hockey can be as you could see where you need more interval training to help with fatigue in the anaerobic thresholds, etc. Now I am feeling a bit geeky here. Make it stop!!!!

On 5/15/2018 at 10:26 AM, IPv6Freely said:

A polar or other chest strap is going to give you the best results for sure. I use an Apple Watch. You're right that the wrist is a bad location for us goalies because of the interference from both the C/A and the glove cuffs. I bought one of these and it works well:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/actionsleeve

91dO0-QIyNL._SL1500_.jpg

Didn’t know this was an accessory and I’ve been looking for an excuse for an Apple Watch 

this is what I was thinking with an arm band. 

https://www.polar.com/us-en/products/accessories/oh1-optical-heart-rate-sensor

@IPv6Freely - can you share how many calories you burn in a typical game? 

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR.  I like it a lot more than the fitbit HR I used to have.  Its really not that fair to compare them though since the Garmin is/was a much higher end watch.  Its a pain in the ass though for hockey monitoring.  I'm not a goalie, but my gloves constantly hit the button to turn the monitoring off.  You can lock the screen, that sort of works, but its still pretty easy to unlock it accidentally.  I didn't dislike my fitbit, but I went through 2 of them in less than year so I gave up on it.  

Fitbit was better at sleep detection.  Garmin is better at pretty much everything else.  Garmin's smart phone app is fairly neat too...

Here is a screen shot of my heart rate from my lunch time game today...

Screenshot_20180516-151227.png

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Didn’t know this was an accessory and I’ve been looking for an excuse for an Apple Watch 

this is what I was thinking with an arm band. 

https://www.polar.com/us-en/products/accessories/oh1-optical-heart-rate-sensor

@IPv6Freely - can you share how many calories you burn in a typical game? 

According to the app its usually ~1200-1500 or so. Here's an example from a game in March. 

IMG_1441.thumb.PNG.2f37c019c9392a759b145a0aae0336df.PNG

If I was going to do this while skating out, I'd be using hockeyapp for my tracking for sure. They're working on a goalie mode and I've been in some discussion with them about it. 

I did a fair bit of research on HR wearables before I sprung for a new Fitbit Charge and general consensus is that you still can't beat the chest strap.  Fitibit was noted for having very good resting heart rate measurement but inconsistent and understated data for activity.  I've used it primarily just to see if I'm hitting minimum thresholds during my workouts or if I skate out at hockey, I'm not deep enough into the details to worry about my heart rate workout ranges.  Never used it in net, got in the way.  For what it's worth Polar's trackers were noted as being very good, likely the best for HR tracking during activity for a wrist wearable but a chest strap setup was still #1.

26 minutes ago, dreadlockgoalie said:

I did a fair bit of research on HR wearables before I sprung for a new Fitbit Charge and general consensus is that you still can't beat the chest strap.  Fitibit was noted for having very good resting heart rate measurement but inconsistent and understated data for activity.  I've used it primarily just to see if I'm hitting minimum thresholds during my workouts or if I skate out at hockey, I'm not deep enough into the details to worry about my heart rate workout ranges.  Never used it in net, got in the way.  For what it's worth Polar's trackers were noted as being very good, likely the best for HR tracking during activity for a wrist wearable but a chest strap setup was still #1.

Yep, nothing beats a chest strap. I have a couple guys on my team that wear them. As for wearables obviously nothing is going to beat the Apple Watch but its significantly more expensive than most of the others (because it does significantly more). 

19 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

I wonder how it would feel if you got hit where the chest HR monitor was

Probably wouldn't even notice it TBH.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:37 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I’m interested in potentially doing some fitness tracking to understand how good a workout hockey is. 

I’ve tried a Fitbit with HR and obviously the wrist is a bad location. 

An HR monitor freaks me out a bit because of the location of the tracker over the heart. 

Anyone? @Joe Messina you or any of your pros ever do testing like this?

Polar has a pro unit that is incredible but specially designed for colleges and pro level teams that have all their info on screens so they can be tracked during practice and off ice training. 

18 hours ago, Joe Messina said:

Polar has a pro unit that is incredible but specially designed for colleges and pro level teams that have all their info on screens so they can be tracked during practice and off ice training. 

Cool info. Thanks. 

Is this unit a chest strap?

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, IPv6Freely said:

A polar or other chest strap is going to give you the best results for sure. I use an Apple Watch. You're right that the wrist is a bad location for us goalies because of the interference from both the C/A and the glove cuffs. I bought one of these and it works well:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/actionsleeve

91dO0-QIyNL._SL1500_.jpg

Has anyone seen anything that would go around your chest instead of bicep? I play lacrosse and it wouldn't take long to take a shot to my arm that would break my watch.

52 minutes ago, CCSH said:

Has anyone seen anything that would go around your chest instead of bicep? I play lacrosse and it wouldn't take long to take a shot to my arm that would break my watch.

Let me check... had to get a chest one to fit around my bicep. ?

Joking aside a guy I play with wears one.. pretty sure it's a Polar.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Haha, you recommended the Apple Watch!!! 

All good, going to order this and see how well / easily it works 

Which is also a great option, but I also said if you want the best and most accurate readings you'll want to use a chest strap. 

Archived